Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubes in tubeless tires
Quote | Reply
Is there any downside in running tubes in road tubeless tires? I know that is the standard back up in case of non sealable flat but is there any huge problem in doing it long term?

The reason I ask: I wanted to try it on my training wheels, but my rims are not tubeless ready so I think it's a coin toss if it will work. I would love not to waste the money on the tires if they don't work, but if I can just throw tubes and use them in the 'standard' fashion, voila! No waste of tires/money

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Tubes in tubeless tires [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will see people running tubeless on non-tubeless ready wheels. They are almost always MTBs though. My understanding is that the higher pressure in road tires means there is more risk of the tire blowing off the rim. So, unless someone knows otherwise, that is the reason I wouldn't try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Those tubeless tires are a sonofabitch to get off the rim when they go flat. I don't see how there would be any problem running a tube in them if the wheels don't work out. My buddy that runs tubeless has run many a mile with a tube in after getting a flat out in the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use tubes just fine in tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
Is there any downside in running tubes in road tubeless tires?

One downside: higher rolling resistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only downaide of running a tube in a tubeless tire/wheel combobis that you HAVE a tube in it!!!

I had purchased some hutchinson galaktic 5 tubeless for my clx64s and the tires as i found out the hard way, only specialized stuff works on rovals so ended up running running a latex on it and it's been just peachy since day one!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tubes in tubeless tires [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
jsoderman wrote:

These would be my training wheels so I'm not too worried about RR. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I must say I am a bit nervous about bombing a 50mph decent with a sub-optimal setup. So I may just stick with tubes...I've have a few flats over the last few weeks and am getting a bit annoyed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll just echo what the others have said, there is absolutely no problem with running tubes in a tubless tire, I did it for months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
RichardL wrote:
jsoderman wrote:

These would be my training wheels so I'm not too worried about RR. Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I must say I am a bit nervous about bombing a 50mph decent with a sub-optimal setup. So I may just stick with tubes...I've have a few flats over the last few weeks and am getting a bit annoyed...

As I said I haven't done tubeless myself but I have ridden many miles with a buddy who runs it. He was getting lots of flats, the tubeless cut it down to 3-5 for the year for him. I have been with him when it went flat, it doesn't just blow out and go flat, it is typically a very slow leak, often the Stan's seals it up and he rides on. I wouldn't be worried about descending on tubeless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tubeless tire + tubeless rim = good, the ideal setup
tubeless tire + tube + tubeless rim = good, normally for emergency situation only; but hey, it's your choice
tubeless tire + tube + non-tubeless rim = ok, but wasting money ob the tubeless tire (assuming you paid more for it)
tubeless tire + non-tubeless rim = well... that depends, personally, I won't do it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Schwalbe One tubeless tires on a Shim tubeless compatile wheelset for my commuter, they worked great until I suffered a cut sidewall on the rear.
Put a tube in, been fine ever since.
The trick is to put a couple of small vice-grip pliers to GENTLY squeeze the tire beads together and push that part of the tire into the rim channel, then apply your plastic tire irons on the opposite part of the wheel. Piece of cake

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great luck with the Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tires in terms of both mounting and road feel on my Stans Alpha 340s. I'm currently running one wheel with a tube due to a cut that is too large to seal, but not so large as to cause problems with a tube. It is not at all a problem. I would not feel comfortable running a tubeless tire sans tube on a non-tubeless compatible rim though. Running tubes isn't so much of a problem that I would risk the associated injury possibilities.
Quote Reply