Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless Tire Question
Quote | Reply
I was recently given a new set of tubeless road tires (IRC Formula Pro RBCC). I am clueless on this subject, which this post will bear out. It would seem that I would need to get a tubeless wheelset to use these properly, which I am not going to do. I have several wheelsets, and don't intend to buy another.

So my question is, can I use these tires with a tube, on a regular clincher wheel (Mavic CXP 33)? It seems that I should be able to, but I'm just checking to make sure. Thanks.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire Question [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they can be used with a tube on a non-tubeless wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are new, sell them. They are expensive tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire Question [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they any good? Durable? I have no experience withthem.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are racing tubeless tires. Not made to be durable, rather fast... for a tubeless tire. And all tubeless tires are heavy. It would be silly (IMO) to run them with tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can convert a nearly any wheel set to a tubeless set (http://www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx)... Some wheels are more easily converted. Mavic Ksyrium wheels are not necessarily tubeless by label, but they have a bead socket and a solid rim so they don't need tape...just a tubeless ready valve stem.

It is much more important for the tire to have a tubeless bead than for a rim to be 'tubeless ready.' I think the CXP 33s are traditionally drilled, so they would need the tubeless rim tape.

I personally think it's worth a try. 95% of the flats you get on the road are pinch or puncture...both of which are supposed to be minimized with a tubeless set up, and some tire manufactures are saying their tubeless tires are posting their lowest rolling resistance (I think Specialized said that). If you get a flat, it's not different than a regular set-up. Pull the bead of the rim, stick in a tube, remount, and re-inflate. You might experience less flats and you might have a nicer ride. If it doesn't work, you can go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless Tire Question [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to reduce puncture flats, then you need to put sealant in them also.

The problem with using a normal rim is difficult inflation... especially if you don't have a compressor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
I was recently given a new set of tubeless road tires (IRC Formula Pro RBCC). I am clueless on this subject, which this post will bear out. It would seem that I would need to get a tubeless wheelset to use these properly, which I am not going to do. I have several wheelsets, and don't intend to buy another.

So my question is, can I use these tires with a tube, on a regular clincher wheel (Mavic CXP 33)? It seems that I should be able to, but I'm just checking to make sure. Thanks.

Yes, it will work with a tube.
As mentioned previously, it's not difficult to convert a regular wheel to accept a tubeless tire. I've done it, works great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHyL9XvFd60

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you can use with or without tubes
Quote Reply