Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trying to make decision on wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I would like to buy a new wetsuit and am having a hard time making a decision on what to buy. I am an average swimmer, having done many triathlons over the past 12 years (including 4 IMs and 4 half IMs, in addition to other sprint/Olympic races). I am fairly confident in the water, but my body position and swimming ability still need some improvement. I can do an IM swim in about 1:30, and am fairly slow compared to others in my age group.

I like orca suits- I had one many years ago and really liked it (they don't make that model anymore). Here is what I am considering. Opinions/advice?

1. Orca sonar. Tried one and it felt good overall except it was way too tight in the neck. Also hate the green design. On sale for around $230 now, so a good deal.
2. Orca alpha. Looks great but heard it was designed for experienced swimmers with natural swimming ability (which I am not!). I also heard it is very thin in the shoulders which makes me think it may not wear well. Would this suit be good for an intermediate swimmer like me? Also on sale now for great price of around $350.
3. Orca 3.8. Looks like it may be a good option. Hate the orange design though! Also very expensive- not currently on sale. Around $600.
4. Orca equip. Looks like it may be a possibility, but entry level according to the reviews. But why? What makes this suit entry level, and do those features really matter? Any big differences between this and their other suits? The price is right... on sale now for $150!
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to make decision on wetsuit [CTYankee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orca has a decent range that fits most swim styles.The additional leg support provided by the 3:8 will assist your swim if you tilt or dont kick as hard
Alpha and equip will fit the natural swimmer as you mentioned below,higher price means you will have better shoulder flexibility and a better coat
If possible try the suits or even go for a rental at your first spring/autumn race

S6 sleeveless is also a great option if the water is not to chilly were you intend to race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the ones you mentioned I would wait for an offer on the 3.8
I used the Sonar a couple of years and liked it and beat every buck out of it til the shoulders went rough. Used it for training then and bought a roka maverick pro for racing. Liked this one even more, lifted my concrete legs more than the Sonar plus gave me more freedom in the shoulders which fitted my...(you can’t call it style in any way but)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go, almost 100% agreement on this suit, your welcome..(-;

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CTYankee wrote:
I would like to buy a new wetsuit and am having a hard time making a decision on what to buy. I am an average swimmer
4. Orca equip. Looks like it may be a possibility, but entry level according to the reviews. But why? What makes this suit entry level, and do those features really matter? Any big differences between this and their other suits? The price is right... on sale now for $150!

I don't like full sleeve entry level suits because they are too restrictive. I don't know the entire Orca line but I will only go sleeveless in an entry level suit as the restrictiveness no longer matters. I wrote some new wetsuit buying tips here. They are very general and apply to most brands. Always interested in feedback if the tips are helpful or miss the mark.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply