Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette
Quote | Reply
Okay, so some posts have implied that pre-2012 ZIPP 404s can be upgraded to 11-speed simply by replacing the Shimano/SRAM free hub and 10-speed cassette with a Campy free hub and Campy 11-speed cassette.

Is this true? Have you done it?

If so, then a new IA 10 (with Ultregra DI2) is likely in my future.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [ddthomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever kit allowed you to convert to C11 from S10 back in 2011 will certainly work. You might also need different axle spacers.

I'd look at getting the S10 cassette body modded instead. Probably cheaper. Cassettes are a lot cheaper. Plus the spacing will be perfect rather than almost perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [ddthomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people have done it, and reported it worked fine. 11-speed campy is so close to Shimano, that most people don't notice the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the other way around. I've got 2011 404s, setup for SRAM Red 10; but I'd like to use these wheels with a new 11-speed bike. ZIPP's upgrade solution is for 2012 & later wheels, only. I'd read that the Campy free hub and cassette was a viable workaround. But I'm wondering whether this is an urban myth--i.e., my buddy's cousin did it.

Can anyone say they have done it?

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you misread my post.

Yes, you can do it. It will work. It isn't the best choice, IMO. It would be a lot cheaper to mod your 10spd freehub to accept 11spd cassettes. Grind a couple mm off the tabs that the cassette butts against near the hub flange. I recall last year someone was selling Ultegra 11 cassettes that had been machined so they would slide on farther, so that is another possibility. The Wheels Manufacturing conversion cassette is another: http://wheelsmfg.com/...tte-conversions.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know whether it will work on your specific wheels, but I've swapped a 10s Shim free body for an 11s Campy body on a lot of mine, and it normally works fine. The issue isn't the spacing, which is identical across all the 11s cassettes; the problem with some wheels is that the angle of the spokes between the hub and the rim is such that the 11s deraileur gets too close to them for comfort when you're shifting into or riding in your largest cog. On most of my wheels the swap has worked perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a dumb question.

Can you run Campy 10 speed but put in some old plastic spacers from a shimano cassette instead of the Campy spacers in order to get correct (shimano 10s) indexing?

Reason is I have a GHIBLI disc (older) no way I will be able to get a shimano free-hub body.

The alternative is running on friction which has been fine the past few years. or switch to 11s.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddthomp wrote:
Okay, so some posts have implied that pre-2012 ZIPP 404s can be upgraded to 11-speed simply by replacing the Shimano/SRAM free hub and 10-speed cassette with a Campy free hub and Campy 11-speed cassette.

Is this true? Have you done it?

If so, then a new IA 10 (with Ultregra DI2) is likely in my future.

I have been doing it now for about 6 month. it works without even having to adjust the RD when switching between stock wheels and 404s
Bought a Specialized road bike with Shimano 11sp mech.
Previously I rode a Campi 11sp bike on the road and a Shiv with 10speed Red, so I already had 2 free hub bodies for my 404s
Lennard Zinn wrote about it, google it.
However if you don't already run Campi, you need the cassette as well as the free hub body. So not much cheaper than getting the wheel rebuild.
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you run Campy 10 speed but put in some old plastic spacers from a shimano cassette instead of the Campy spacers in order to get correct (shimano 10s) indexing?

C10 spockets are thicker than S10, so no.

Seeing if you can find a Jtek Shiftmate is one option.

Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Perhaps a dumb question.

Reason is I have a GHIBLI disc (older) no way I will be able to get a shimano free-hub body.

The alternative is running on friction which has been fine the past few years. or switch to 11s.

Maurice

I have swapped 10spd Campag and Shmano wheels with different drive trains for years. Is it 100% perfect? No...you'll occasionally have to hold the lever for a half-second extra to get to the next smaller gear, etc. But it works pretty damn good and in a tri (and using bar ends) I doubt you would ever notice it.

For many years, my go to system was Campag 10 w/ a Shmano PT hub.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option to consider for this dilemma:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Simple, cheap, and works perfectly.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 10, 16 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

C10 spockets are thicker than S10, so no.

Seeing if you can find a Jtek Shiftmate is one option.

Thanks, I was curious as to what the exact difference in C10 was vs DA10. That answers that.

To "power13" Pretty much the same for me I use C10 back with sram 10 for the rest. On friction no problem, on index…not really a big deal. Sometimes I have to go up two and then back down one to get the shift.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the ZIPP wheel rebuild is restricted to 2012s and later. What year are your 404s? Or are you talking about a rebuild NOT through ZIPP?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M, Campy makes 10 and 11 speed spaced cassette for the Ghibli. While they only have 9 cogs, that may be what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good point, I think mine are 2012, the shop said they can be send in to Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A solution from italian guys at a reasonable price
http://www.profbike.it/prodotti/80/2408/shimano-pacco-pignoni-6800-ultegra-compatibile-corpetti-10-speed.htm
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
A solution from italian guys at a reasonable price
http://www.profbike.it/prodotti/80/2408/shimano-pacco-pignoni-6800-ultegra-compatibile-corpetti-10-speed.htm

Looks interesting. Agreed, the base price (no shipping, of course) seems very reasonable.

Have you tried this ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: True or False? ZIPP 404 2011 + Campy free hub + Campy 11-speed cassette [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lennard Zinn at Velonews has been answering myriad questions about 10 and 11-speed compatibility over the past couple of years. The OP's question has been answered (yes, it can be done, easily), but for other questions, a search of Zinn's column could be useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not tried yet, I'm still on 10spd, but I have "classic" 404's and dura ace 7850's, so I'll keep an eye on them
Quote Reply