Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes
Quote | Reply
So I got a pair of Bont Vaypor+ cycling shoes because of the heat molding capabilities and because my feet tend to go numb on bike rides. I figured having a shoe that was heat molded to my foot would maybe aide in circulation and help with the numbness.

So I followed all of the instructions on heat molding these shoes. 160F for 20 min with no luck. These shoes don't seem to loosen up at all with the heat molding. The carbon is still hard as rock after baking. They haven't conformed to my foot at all. I even went out and bought a couple thermometers to confirm that my oven is calibrated correctly and it is. Anyone else have experience with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [markcleblanc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon doesn't mold, the foam liner under the insole but on top of the carbon molds to the foot. The upper molds too a little, I think.

I have molded mine and would give the process a 3/5.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not what I understand from the videos. It says the entire shoe should soften up.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shoes never go soft, just slightly pliable. If there's a spot causing a problem, identify it before heating and then work on that spot with some solid pressure using thumb or back of a screwdriver etc. Pre heat the oven and when you remove the shoes work quickly. If you wear thick socks and place all your weight on the shoes with knees bent it helps. You may have to mould a few times to get a perfect fit. It's worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
The carbon doesn't mold, the foam liner under the insole but on top of the carbon molds to the foot. .

Well I think it does.

"The base is made by hand by sandwiching cross weave carbon and uni-directional carbon fiber which is embedded with epoxy thermo setting resin. The fibers are hand laid in the matrix according to the strain they will have to bear. "

I've gone through the heat molding process with my low end Bonts and after trying the oven, had much better luck using a heat gun. It took way more heat than I expected to. You want to have your process completely figured out as the epoxy setts up really fast as it cools. You'll need some "shapes" on hand to press against the sole or press the sole against. Thick dowels, screw driver handles, balls.......................It may take several tries to get the shape you want.

Spend some Google time and you'll find advice.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Mar 27, 15 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [sheene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well mine don't get the least bit pliable. And even if I take them out and immediately work on them with the screwdriver, they don't give one bit. I've attempted molding them 4 times now with no result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think the shoes are the right size? I was able to alter the shape of mine to accommodate different shape arches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're the right size. I'm just trying to change the arch and it's not budging.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should I go up on the temperature to see if they get pliable with a bit more heat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go up in temperature but apparently it's ok to extend the heating time. I read that somewhere. Apparently if you try to warranty the shoes Bont can tell if they've been overheated. I'd try re moulding again after an extended heating time. If you can't get the arch low enough it might be possible to shim the insole a little. If you have really low arches or flat feet you may never be able to get the arch low enough. I'm not an expert but had to mould a few times to get a fit I was happy with and did a lot of googling. I was seriously considering giving up on them until I went back to using my old shoes for a few rides!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have pretty high arches. I'm just trying to get the shape of the arch right. But like I said, It's not moving one bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markcleblanc wrote:
I have pretty high arches. I'm just trying to get the shape of the arch right. But like I said, It's not moving one bit.

My arches are extremely high too so I heated the arch area pretty specifically, slipped the shoe on and then put my whole weight into forming the arch area against an arched shaped piece of wood. It took several tries to get the shape just right.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know your oven is really getting to 160? Ovens can easily be 10 or 15 degrees off.. do a turkey thermo or such to double check the temp at the location you are putting your shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. I may need to try again. I've always followed directions but never had the carbon soften. Who knew...
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble heat molding Bont cycling shoes [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got TWO different thermometers inside the oven to verify. It's right on the dot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try 160C and see what happens ;)
Quote Reply