Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trouble getting 28c tube under super tight tire bead
Quote | Reply
It took me a week to mount my 28c super tight randonneur rear tire (trashed both thumbs), only to notice the inner tube is not fully under the tire bead. I tried pumping a bit of air into the tube and moving it over as well as a pinch of talcum power but to no avail. Any tips on how to get the tire completely around the tube - I know if I fully inflate the tube and ride it I'll get a pinch flat. The absolute last option is to remove the tire and start over (its that tight).
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble getting 28c tube under super tight tire bead [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try a little dish soap and water then work it gently with your hands. it should slip right in.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble getting 28c tube under super tight tire bead [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"trashed both thumbs"

I've never seen it where I couldn't work the tube under the tire by squeezing it a bit. Perhaps some soapy water after leaving the wheel in the sun or a hot car for a bit?

As far as your thumbs, a great pro tip I've gotten is to use the heel of your palms instead of your thumbs to roll the last bit of tire onto the rim.

Quote Reply