Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends.
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have this problem? It seems that just having a flat screw pressing down on the cable with a flat back just doesn't work. I've gone through two cables now and it just destroys the cable end and it frays in every direction as soon as the bolt is tightened.

Any solutions to this? It's annoying to the point I'm about to take it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a few issues with it as well. But for me I just had to be careful and make sure when I cut the cable it was the right length then when I tightened it made sure not to play with it anymore. The good thing is the pad adjustment makes it easier to get close to the rim.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues on mine since installation. Though, I am about to re-run all of my cables, and I plan to solder the section of cable where I cut it. I have done this many years ago; it makes a nice and clean cable end. And, I have found that the short soldered tip secures better in brakes and derailleurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's a bit of a pain. My issue is to take the bars off when transporting the bike, I have to release the front brake cable - it frays a bit every time and is impossible to then re-install. So to save the frustration I simply replace the front brake cable every time I re-assemble the bike - not a big deal, just takes 2mins and the small cost of a fresh new cable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

rubik wrote:
Any solutions to this?

Yes, tighten the bolt then cut. Also, you can dip the end of the cable in nail polish / super glue or solder it like other suggested.
Last edited by: sp1ke: Feb 7, 17 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [Chri G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri G wrote:
Yes, it's a bit of a pain. My issue is to take the bars off when transporting the bike, I have to release the front brake cable - it frays a bit every time and is impossible to then re-install. So to save the frustration I simply replace the front brake cable every time I re-assemble the bike - not a big deal, just takes 2mins and the small cost of a fresh new cable.

If you don't need to remove the wedge from the cable when you do this, just take the cover off the brake, leave the wedge on the cable, and pull the wedge out from between the arms (squeeze the pads together with the wheel off to make room). Do the reverse to re-install.

Heck, I used to swap complete bar/stems between road and TT setups on my S5 w/Omegas that way. Each setup had a wedge installed on the front brake cable that stayed there permanently. I didn't have to fuss with the frayed cable end after it was cut.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's just a nonsensical way to do that. you have to completely disassemble every part of a bike to pack and move. every bolt. why take the easy way out?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave the maximum amount of cable sticking out of the crimp nut. It seems to be just enough to not make it splinter when I tighten down the cable. (Disclaimer - I don't take mine off often, but I have front/rear Omega Xs)
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
that's just a nonsensical way to do that. you have to completely disassemble every part of a bike to pack and move. every bolt. why take the easy way out?!

Well...to be fair, I DID forget to mention that using a slotted cable hanger (I had one mounted under the stem) helps to do this. Without that, or with using the Omega cable stop (which isn't slotted), it's not possible to do it that way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could alternatively just unbolt the brake from fork too

does the omega stop on brake really prevent your method? I mean, you will have much less wiggle room but still have some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Well...to be fair, I DID forget to mention that using a slotted cable hanger (I had one mounted under the stem) helps to do this. Without that, or with using the Omega cable stop (which isn't slotted), it's not possible to do it that way.
The Omega X cable stop IS slotted. Only the original Omega Standard (discontinued nearly two years ago) lacked this feature.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

rubik wrote:
Any solutions to this?

Yes, tighten the bolt then cut.
Exactly. If you watch our installation video, this is how we advise you to do it, and the cable doesn't fray.

And as Tom A. mentioned, you do NOT need to loose the cable pinch bolt for travel. Just remove the wheel, pop off the magnetic cover, squeeze the brake arms together, and remove the wedge from the brake.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The Omega X cable stop IS slotted. Only the original Omega Standard (discontinued nearly two years ago) lacked this feature.

Yes, I was talking about the Omega (which is why I omitted the "X")...and that bike of mine was stolen 2 years ago as well :-(

But yes, the OP was talking about the X, so that doesn't apply.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

rubik wrote:
Any solutions to this?

Yes, tighten the bolt then cut. Also, you can dip the end of the cable in nail polish / super glue or solder it like other suggested.

This is what I did both times and I was thinking that was part of the problem as it's fine until the second I cut and then it explodes.

Next time I was going to cut and crimp an end cap on and then tighten... Why there's not a groove for the cable to sit in... annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Tririg Omega X fraying brake cable ends. [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
sp1ke wrote:

rubik wrote:
Any solutions to this?

Yes, tighten the bolt then cut.

Exactly. If you watch our installation video, this is how we advise you to do it, and the cable doesn't fray.

I did and did.

The cable just shattered. Two different new cables. Tightened, then cut and bleh. Maybe just bad luck. Going to put on a new handlebar this weekend and recable everything. Hopefully I'll get it right.
Last edited by: rubik: Feb 7, 17 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have posted, one small factor is the quality of your cutters. Older ones or just lower quality tend to pinch cable and flatten more before they cut which tends to cause the unwinding as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha. tighten the bold, cut, reattach the cover, 5 years later still going strong and I don't even have to know how frayed the ends are.

sp1ke wrote:

rubik wrote:
Any solutions to this?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply