Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triple T let down! Stay away!
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up to anyone thinking about going to Triple T in 2016! I went down there last weekend to compete as a co-ed team in hopes of scoring one of the advertised $1500 gift cards to Go Fast Multisport, an online tri retailer. Long story short, we won the Masters and Overall Co-ed division. When we got to the awards ceremony, the $1500 had become a $19.99 Tyr bag and a crappy $30 watch. The race director said that a replacement would be made, but after numerous emails we were offered a free entry for 2016 to "come down and give it another go". I wouldn't go back to a race with shady direction if it were the last Tri on Earth. I find their offer completely unacceptable. Just wanted to vent!
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [Pitty9457] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Slowtwitch and nice first post. Weird but I don't see any specific prizes advertised or listed on the web page :(

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I see that they have changed the prize page as of my last conversation with them today. Here is what the page looked like, and the response that I was given. https://www.facebook.com/...3348?hc_location=ufi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Fast Multisport went out of business, they are the ones you should be going after. The prize no longer existed due to the sponsor no longer existing. Surely when you registered you signed a waiver that said there could be changes without notice.

Last edited by: Cobble: May 22, 15 20:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that race twice a number of years ago and was very impressed with the way HFP racing managed the TTT and the other races that same weekend. It's unfortunate that their sponsor went out of business but that was a pretty crazy prize to offer for an amateur triathlon - it's not fair for you to call out the RD as shady due to something outside of their control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, your big beef with the race is that you didn't like the prize?

How was the race itself? Organization? Course? These are the things to pay attention to. If these are bad, then maybe I get the bashing. But the prize? Come on.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pitty9457 wrote:
Just a heads up to anyone thinking about going to Triple T in 2016! I went down there last weekend to compete as a co-ed team in hopes of scoring one of the advertised $1500 gift cards to Go Fast Multisport, an online tri retailer. Long story short, we won the Masters and Overall Co-ed division. When we got to the awards ceremony, the $1500 had become a $19.99 Tyr bag and a crappy $30 watch. The race director said that a replacement would be made, but after numerous emails we were offered a free entry for 2016 to "come down and give it another go". I wouldn't go back to a race with shady direction if it were the last Tri on Earth. I find their offer completely unacceptable. Just wanted to vent!

Agreed. You have good reason to be pissed....you could have spent your time and $$$ elsewhere. If awards/prizes are continually promoted and advertized through event's registration and start, then they should absolutely be given. Otherwise, it's just a classic example of bait and switch.
Last edited by: Brushman: May 23, 15 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already covered in another thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=75;
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple Stevie wrote:

i dont see how this is crying like a bitch. they promoted the race, offering a certain prize and then changed that prize after the fact. i get it that the company who offered the prize went out of biz, but presumably the race would then offer a similar prize, not some pos.

that's all well and good that it's a great event, but all of us enter races for different reasons and do so, under the premise that what is advertised is what we'll get. if it's a little change, so be it. if it's completely different, i'd have a gripe as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree he has a legit gripe. I'd be pissed too if I thought I won $1500 and instead received $50 worth of shit.

The "it's a good race" is not appropriate to the argument as it has nothing to do with it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
Simple Stevie wrote:

i dont see how this is crying like a bitch. they promoted the race, offering a certain prize and then changed that prize after the fact. i get it that the company who offered the prize went out of biz, but presumably the race would then offer a similar prize, not some pos.

that's all well and good that it's a great event, but all of us enter races for different reasons and do so, under the premise that what is advertised is what we'll get. if it's a little change, so be it. if it's completely different, i'd have a gripe as well.
If a prize is clearly offered by company A (the sponsor), why would company B (the race organizer) be held responsible?

Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
Simple Stevie wrote:

If a prize is clearly offered by company A (the sponsor), why would company B (the race organizer) be held responsible?

the abc triathlon is offering brand few ferraris for the top 10 places. registration is huge as people sign up left and right as they want to win. ferrari goes out of business and therefore, the race gives all the the winners a toy car.

if you dont get how the race organizer is responsible, then this is a futile dialogue
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
Simple Stevie wrote:

Because the race organiser has clearly benefited from the advertisement of a substantial prize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:

Did you really just ask that question?

Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
Because the race organiser has clearly benefited from the advertisement of a substantial prize.

bingo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
Simple Stevie wrote:

Because it wasn't offered by the sponsor. It was offered by the race organizer. It was only being supplied by the sponsor.

I used to be in the construction business. How would you feel if I advertised a home to include $15,000 Corian counter tops in the kitchen, then when you bought the house, I gave you $2,000 Formica tops instead, because Corian had gone out of business?

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triple T is one of those iconic races people always talk about because of how tough it is, I've had friends do it that say it's tougher than an ironman. Registration always sells out, and one of these years, hopefully sooner rather than later I'll get around to signing up. When I do, I'm glad you won't be there because you sound like a real fun time
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
Triple T is one of those iconic races people always talk about because of how tough it is, I've had friends do it that say it's tougher than an ironman. Registration always sells out, and one of these years, hopefully sooner rather than later I'll get around to signing up. When I do, I'm glad you won't be there because you sound like a real fun time

Once again, this has nothing to do with the actual topic at hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the prizes were big for a small race. That being said, they were offered and were advertised up until the race. When I looked for a May race, I looked at this and Chat 70.3, and decided that we had a chance (after stalking previous times) to place at this event. My fiancé is a strong athlete, she can hang with most guys and this race is all about a strong weaker athlete if that makes sense. So we signed up. After this happened, I began looking into Go Fast and found that they had begun a "liquidation" in March, long before the race. I understand that if the sponsor goes out of business it is a burden on the RD. I Also understand that a $1500 card is about the same as $900 in cash (given the 40% mark up). I believe that I entered an agreement with the RD and not the sponsor, and that they could have at least, offered up the amount they would have had to give the sponsor for the cards. TTT offered up a total of 5 cards for this race at a total of $7500. These cards were not free unless the sponsor was looking to go under. If you placed well at an IM event and went to the awards/roll down only to be told that there were no slots available, would it be okay that the race was well organized? As far as the race organization, my only complaint is that the bike course is not marked very well, and only one aid station on the 70.3, none on the other 3 events.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
Cobble wrote:
MeltingPot wrote:
Simple Stevie wrote:

Says who? Are you suggesting if there is no awards that it won't sell out? The race only has 400 slots available and of all the people that I know that go to the race, none of them ever mentioned the prizes. They all go for the experience.

You can easily confirm this by looking at the participants list; there are hardly any teams (let alone any fast ones) and most people race solo. If anyone wants to race for prizes it would be pretty easy to do by racing as a team, but you end up in a ranking where you can 'win' your category by being the first of two teams... or only team... and that is no fun. 90% of the people race in the solo category and therefore the majority of people don't care about the prizes anyway because they know upfront they won't win overall solo male or female.

Quote | Reply
So sorry to let you down. However, with less than 3 weeks to go Go Fast Multisport (our prize list partner) went out of business as noted in the participant guide. We did everything we could to pull together something in the last 3 weeks and in the 11th hour found a mechanic to cover the tech support for the event. It's so unfortunate but the demise of Go Fast left us in a position that was nearly impossible to fix in the 11th hour. We were not even officially notified of the situation until we read about it on their facebook page. This literally was totally out of our control. I believe the reputation of this event speaks for itself and I would hope you would judge this event on the merits of your overall experience and the hard work we put in it.

Sincerely,
Shannon Kurek
HFP Man

Shannon Kurek

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pitty9457 wrote:
So we signed up. After this happened, I began looking into Go Fast and found that they had begun a "liquidation" in March, long before the race.

This is the most important point of this whole conversation, in my opinion. I know Go Fast and HFP quite well. I typically do a handful of HFP races a year. They put on good VERY affordable races. However, HFP has always been known as extremely cheap. The fact that any prizes are offered is amazing considering there aren't even basic awards at their other events. It was known well before Triple T that Go Fast was going out of business. HFP should have sent a message out to all Triple T participants to let them know there would no longer be Go Fast sponsored prizes. That is definitely their bad. However, to those that think HFP benefited from advertising prizes you don't know Triple T. As another poster noted, it always sells out. They made no more money by advertising those prizes...they would have sold out anyways.

Knowing HFP, my guess is that it didn't even cross their mind that they needed to take down the prize information from the website and e-mail the participants...or they knew and didn't feel the need to do it because they knew it wouldn't affect their participation.
Last edited by: badgertri: May 23, 15 7:18
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Shannon, thanks for joining the thread. HFP did send out a blip in the participant packet about 3 days before the event. In it they stated that a "gift card was TBD". The determination was not to give anything. To be fair, the people that work for HFP and the volunteers were amazing. Especially those kids that stood out in the rain all weekend in trash bags helping the athletes. The question still remains....Did HFP get the $7500 in gift cards for free?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri you are correct, it wouldn't have effected participation. I was already 1k in the race between 2 entry fees and a cabin for 3 nights. I went down in "hopes" of winning as a team, performance is never guaranteed. Our team registered 20+ people for the event (only 13 made the starting line), and up until the awards ceremony, most were happy with the race as a whole. I have no doubt that this race will sell out again, it is a tough challenge. To address an earlier comment, this race started as a team event, and in recent years has moved to allow solo participants. The race still has a 20-25% team component. And, some are fast! There were 7 teams in the Co-ed Masters alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple T let down! Stay away! [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
It was known well before Triple T that Go Fast was going out of business. HFP should have sent a message out to all Triple T participants to let them know there would no longer be Go Fast sponsored prizes.

They did exactly that, it was in the participants guide that was sent out the week before the race
Quote Reply

Prev Next