Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triharder Route 66 Half Iron
Quote | Reply
Anyone done this race in Springfield, IL? Looking to add another race for my summer and came across this one. Within driving distance for me and looks like a solid race? Well supported? Good course? Any info or tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [TNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the half, but I did the oly distance last year. I'm going back again this year. I liked the course, there will be a sprint and oly and the half going at the same time, swim starting in reverse order (half first). swim will be non-wetsuit, the water was nice, didnt taste bad,the exit ramp was a little slippery.

The oly bike course was nice, some rollers, nothing to put you in the small chain ring though, the half course is different. NOT a closed bike course though and I did almost have some guy in his truck go head on into me. he was trying to give the cyclist he was passing lots of room and went really wide into the oncoming lane, but didnt notice that I was there and it was a little scary for a few seconds there. roads were in pretty good shape otherwise.

Run was partially shaded country road. I had an issue at a water station with them not being set up yet when I ran through on the out, but shouldn't be a problem if you're not out front i guess. Probably some of the best post race food I've had, easily compared to other local races or AGNC. If you're looking for an overall podium finish they do give out some nice special awards for that too.
Last edited by: tfleeger: Apr 29, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I doubt I would be a front runner so the aids station will probably be setup for me. That is a little scary with the truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the half a couple of times. Nice local race. Descent roads, and descent shade on run with plenty of aid. I'd recommend it overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
Anyone done this race in Springfield, IL? Looking to add another race for my summer and came across this one. Within driving distance for me and looks like a solid race? Well supported? Good course? Any info or tips?

I used to live in Springfield. I loved racing in small-town midwest America, but it just depends on your expectations. The reality is these are much much smaller races. This makes the races much tougher frankly because less drafting but also you aren't going to get the same level of physical and emotional support out there either. They are awesome don't get me wrong, but if you are used to the Ironman brand it will be way different.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds great actually. Did one ironman brand half and it was pretty crowded. Looking forward to no drafting. Btw I read your post on giro slx and am anxiously waiting to test mine out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TNTRI wrote:
That sounds great actually. Did one ironman brand half and it was pretty crowded. Looking forward to no drafting. Btw I read your post on giro slx and am anxiously waiting to test mine out.

It is great. The people that do those grassroots event really love them. Good luck the SLX.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it get pretty hot on the run?
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [MikeyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the half last year and I'm doing the half again this year.

The bike is FAST. Very flat. Route 66 is bumpy but it's old Route 66, it's what you would expect. The first 5 miles (and final 5) or so has been repaved and is very smooth. An unhappy local dumped gravel on the course last year but the RD managed a last minute change to avoid it. His words regarding this person were great while on the microphone during prerace, he was pissed.

Word of advice, do NOT trust the bike nutrition description. The website claims they will have "water, sport water bottles for exchanges, HEED, gels, and bananas. Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes will also be at most aid stations." Not the case. They had water only last year, and the year before per a buddy of mine, and that's it. Run stations are legit and well stocked but plan to only get water from them on the bike.

The run - hot! You do get some shade here or there depending your direction with the sun, the roads are tree lined, but it's a hot one typically.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [MikeyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyG wrote:
Did it get pretty hot on the run?

There's a surprising amount of shade on the run.

This was one of the best Midwest 70.3 distance races I have done. I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triharder Route 66 Half Iron [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for some great information.
Quote Reply