Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon skills finally save a life
Quote | Reply
So I was out kayaking on vacation in a salt water bay, when the junk kayak I was in capsized and filled with water. 60 degree air temp with 70 degree water temp. I was able to ditch the kayak and swim the 1.2 mile OWS to return to shore, I don't think I'd have made the cut off however. Far from a fish. But I was alone and wasn't overdue for another 30 minutes when I returned. Hope someone enjoys my kayak when I washes ashore.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon skills finally save a life [ditchmedic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you made it okay and that "the training kicked in".

How'd you make out on the junk bike afterwards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you made it back to shore. Were you wearing a life jacket?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon skills finally save a life [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a life jacket with me, put it on after capsizing.
Now I called the homeowner and they are super mad and tried telling me the kayak was worth 50% more than is advertised for. Gotta figure out what to do next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditchmedic wrote:
So I was out kayaking on vacation in a salt water bay, when the junk kayak I was in capsized and filled with water. 60 degree air temp with 70 degree water temp. I was able to ditch the kayak and swim the 1.2 mile OWS to return to shore, I don't think I'd have made the cut off however. Far from a fish. But I was alone and wasn't overdue for another 30 minutes when I returned. Hope someone enjoys my kayak when I washes ashore.

Abandoned equipment is not a "triathlon skill"...it's a penalty.

Glad you made it ashore
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon skills finally save a life [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
ditchmedic wrote:

Abandoned equipment is not a "triathlon skill"...it's a penalty.

Glad you made it ashore

So if you take your wetsuit off and leave it in the water you will get a yellow card?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon skills finally save a life [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take the penalty. Beats sleeping with the fishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why didn't you flip it back over and kayak back to shore? Glad you're safe though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except the fact that the boat collapsed, that's pretty awesome

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon skills finally save a life [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bilge filled and there was no pump. Couldn't empty it. Got in it several times while it was sinking.
Quote Reply