Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post)....
Quote | Reply
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...lon-swim-cancel.html

So organizer apparently never had a swim permit, and is now promoting this "tri" as a bike, transition, run....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally, an event I can be competitive in: transition!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another win for duathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
Another win for duathlon.

it's not even a duathlon. what a farce to refer to T2 as an event in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the "event" is USAT sanctioned, then they need to step in stop the tomfoolery.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Competitive dressing? Can I Strava that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/08/newport-beach-triathlon-swim-cancel.html

So organizer apparently never had a swim permit, and is now promoting this "tri" as a bike, transition, run....

Well, this event is notorious for having to cancel the swim (filthy lagoon).

Since costs for permit are substantial, and the swim very likely to be canceled anyway, the organizers just felt comfortable to go that route from the start.

Taking care of business and looking out for the athletes from the get-go is just....

SMART.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Competitive dressing? Can I Strava that?

You can if you get a GPS signal inside, or if you dress outside.

Dressing, Competitive is between Cross-Fit and E-Bike Ride on the Sport Drop Down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now the citys fed up, denied his permit for the race. He has 10 days to appeal to the city manager.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, go back even further in history for Pacific Sports...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Active.com is still taking registrations for them
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My source works for the city of Newport, entire race permits been denied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the exception of newbies how does an RD who has a history of cancelling events find any repeat business? A piss poor RD usually can only stay in business several years before they run out of suckers.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Oh, go back even further in history for Pacific Sports...

https://californiatriathlon.org/...1-2017-buyer-beware/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
With the exception of newbies how does an RD who has a history of cancelling events find any repeat business? A piss poor RD usually can only stay in business several years before they run out of suckers.

I have done one of Pacific Sports, LLC's events multiple times (Long Beach Triathlon, in SoCal). The only issue I saw was one year (2015) they had a major screw up by not having personnel or a timing mat out at the run turnaround, so a bunch of us over-ran it. I think I ran around 4.2 miles instead of 3, some people went even further, including the elites. They didn't handle it very well, but they did at least try to rectify the results by examining people's Garmin data files, etc.

I never heard about the shady business practice stuff until the news broke about this year's Newport Beach swim. Given what I know now, I'll be careful to avoid them in the future. And I admit that will suck, because the Long Beach Tri is a local, very convenient, and pretty fun race. But yeah, I can't justify giving any money to an organization (or person) who will operate that way. Anyway... that's why I for one provided repeat business... lack of knowledge about the underlying dealings of the RD and their company.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go back to the early '90s.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now confirming CP78's post that the tri has been cancelled,as the city has denied the permit. The basis of the denial is Pacific Sports' continued sale of the event as a "triathlon" when it clearly isn't, and not notifying participants of changes. Basically false advertising. (the pdf is on a FB page calling for refunds for the NB tri)

There is apparently a hearing 9/20 to dispute this, but if not successful, this would be the third tri from this RD canceled within days of the event since 2014, all blamed on the cities involved - Brooklyn, Torrance and now Newport Beach.

I was reading an old 2008 ST article that stated that the ITU actually had (has?) a rule that no race could associate with this RD company or the RD. Yet last year he's "one of the top 10 most influential people in tri." How does that happen?
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 19, 17 13:15
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
And now confirming CP78's post that the tri has been cancelled,as the city has denied the permit. The basis of the denial is Pacific Sports' continued sale of the event as a "triathlon" when it clearly isn't, and not notifying participants of changes. Basically false advertising. (the pdf is on a FB page calling for refunds for the NB tri)

There is apparently a hearing 9/20 to dispute this, but if not successful, this would be the third tri from this RD canceled within days of the event since 2014, all blamed on the cities involved - Brooklyn, Torrance and now Newport Beach.

I was reading an old 2008 ST article that stated that the ITU actually had (has?) a rule that no race could associate with this RD company or the RD. Yet last year he's "one of the top 10 most influential people in tri." How does that happen?

I hear it is official canceled. Wonder if folks will get their money back?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congtats everyone. We are officially Pentathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://californiatriathlon.org/...1-2017-buyer-beware/

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon is now bike, transition, and run (another Newport Beach Tri post).... [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:
Here's the latest as of today

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...-denied-permits.html

This is where when folks say the a USAT sanctioning does not mean much, well, .....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Jack is back... Just received email from Pacific Sports LLC announcing Newport Beach Tri is now scheduled for November 12, 2017. Caveat emptor.

Copied from email: We're very happy to announce officially that through some hard work by dedicated individuals, the 39th Newport Beach Triathlon is scheduled for Sunday November 12, 2017. We would like to thank the City of Newport Beach for helping to keep this nearly four decades old event going and continuing on as the longest running triathlon in the world.

We appreciate everyone's patience over the past couple months, and we're excited to see you all in Newport Beach in just a few weeks!

http://www.newportbeachtriathlon.com/

Quote Reply