Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, my first post here! I will try to keep it short: I am from Brazil and I am thinking of buying tickets for triathlon at the olympics in Rio. Has anyone bought tickets for the the olympics' triathlon (London, Beijing)? Is there any value to it or is it better to watch from home or from the streets?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [ABSURDO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd think you'd see more of the race watching live on tv / internet at home.

You'd get more of the crowd excitement on the street / in the stands.

Also, I kind of think triathlon is one of the few free Olympic events. Perhaps not so in Rio?

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can apply for tri tickets here:

http://ingressos.rio2016.com/...ch&action=filter

i'm assuming the tickets for triathlon are grandstand seats at the finish line/transition zone.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I think you could just stand on the street and see the athletes pass by, that would be free. So the three options are:

1) Watch on TV or internet
2) See from the streets for free
3) Buy the tickets for R$ 70 and see from a special place, probably in front of or near the transition place/finish line

The tickets are quite cheap, R$ 70 reais would be something like 20 - 25 US dollars now. But apparently there are no seats, you have to stand. I guess I will go for it. It will be fun to see Jonny Brownlee getting the gold medal. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [ABSURDO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what the setup is re Rio? Are you able to watch on the circuit for free and just pay for designated seating?

In Beijing you had to pay to get on any part of the course, they had it sewn up and the atmosphere was shite...would much rather have watched it from the tele. (In fact I actually got thrown out of the Tri venue..but thats another story)

For the Commonwealths 2006 in Melbourne, the streets were free and there were 110,000 watching, amazing atmosphere.

I hope they make it accessible to the people in Rio as we're going over to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in London for the olympics in 2012.
You could basically get some tickets to watch the event in the tribune but since I couldnt get any I went to the free areas along the race (marathon was the same).
I went to many ITU races, but I never saw such an amazing crowd cheering for the athletes. On the negative side obviously you dont get to see much of the event :)

Maybe they will provide a great screen in Rio to watch the even nearby?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure the streets will be free, as it will be in Copacabana beach. They can't close the beach, I think it is actually against the law to do that, not to mention how bad it would be for people who live there. It will probably be more like London than Beijing. The atmosphere should be great, although Brazilians don't have a tradition of triathlon. Most people will be watching just for fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would assume that there will be jumbotron where the paid seats are but, this is brasil, so who knows what they have planned (or planned but won't happen). it would be ideal if there were a jumbotron near the transition area so then you can see the athletes after each loop of the bike and run and then follow along when they aren't in view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

As long as there's beer flowing and racing to watch...I'll be happy. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely go! I saw London's and it was incredible, hundreds of thousands lined the banks of the lake to see the swim and the run, and even more saw them fly by on the bike route. It'll be a lapped course so you'll see them pass several times in the same spot. Obviously if you pay to sit in the grandstand you'll get to see them pass each lap and also the finish which would be great but the atmosphere on the rest of the course was incredible.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABSURDO, has the route been published in Brazil? Presumably they have told you where the bike course it?

I was told by someone unofficially from one of the national federations but would like to see it independently confirmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:

I'm not sure what the setup is re Rio? Are you able to watch on the circuit for free and just pay for designated seating?

In Beijing you had to pay to get on any part of the course, they had it sewn up and the atmosphere was shite...would much rather have watched it from the tele. (In fact I actually got thrown out of the Tri venue..but thats another story)

For the Commonwealths 2006 in Melbourne, the streets were free and there were 110,000 watching, amazing atmosphere.

I hope they make it accessible to the people in Rio as we're going over to watch.

That's what an internet forum is for, to tell stories. Please do tell.

trav

Quote | Reply
I have no information on the course of the triathlon event, other than what is public. This is what it says in the website of Rio Olympics, followed by my translation below:

O percurso da maratona aquática fica localizado nas águas calmas da Praia de Copacabana, protegidas pelo pontão natural onde se situa o Forte. Essa locação também é regularmente utilizada para competições internacionais de triatlo na cidade. Os percursos de ciclismo e corrida estendem-se ao longo da praia, garantindo uma atmosfera de grande vibração criada pelos milhares de espectadores na orla. Serão construídos ainda 5.000 lugares temporários ao longo da Av. Atlântica voltados para a praia, garantindo uma visão privilegiada de todo o percurso e de sua beleza natural.

The open-water course will be at the calm waters of the Copacabana beach, protected by the natural enclosure of the fort. This location is also regularly used for international triathlon competitions in the city. The cycling and running courses will be along the beach, providing an atmosphere of great vibration created by the thousands of expectators in the beachside. More than 5000 temporary places will be built along Av. Atlantica facing the beach, providing a priviledged vision of the whole course and its natural beauty.

From this text, what I can infer is that a good part of the cycling and running portion will be along the Av. Atlantica. Maybe it is worth looking at the courses of triathlon competitions in Rio. I will see if I can find any information.
Last edited by: ABSURDO: Apr 1, 15 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've watched Triathlon from the grandstand at both the World Championships in London (2013) and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow and it is well worth investing in a seat at the finish line. You feel like a privileged guest, with all the key action - start, finish and transitions - taking place right in front of you. Plus you can disappear for a drink or go to the loo and get your place back right away.

There's something very odd about the arrangements for Rio though. I've managed to get tickets for every sport I want through official suppliers in various countries. Every sport except Triathlon. Almost nobody seems to have had a supply of tickets. One of the European agencies said that the grandstand for Tri was the smallest they'd ever seen for any sport at any Olympics. I would love to get some kind of official comment from someone from Rio 2016 about it. Plus - as you say - the map on the ticket site seems to suggest that even ticket holders have to stand. All very odd.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [Mackem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how far in advance did you look for tickets? did the suppliers have any issues with selling tickets to someone from overseas? I assume you had all the tickets mailed? have you had any issues with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon at Rio Olympics - is it worth watching live? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you live in an EC country then you're entitled to buy from any of the Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATR) in any of those countries: each country has one agency that is authorised to sell on behalf of Rio2016. The list is here http://www.rio2016.com/...16_files/atrs_en.pdf

I know in the US the ATR is Cosport (as it is for the UK) but I don't know if there are other countries' supplies that US citizens have access to. I started buying when the first UK tickets were made available last year, but more and more tickets will go on sale between now and the games as sales in Brazil are so slow, the organisers will look to offload to other countries, so sign up to which ever ATRs your'e entitled to use and keep those websites in your favourites!

Most of them want to mail the tickets to you as they can add a huge markup on the postage! If you elect to pick up in Rio you will save that.

[edit] BTW not that I'm condoning this kind of behaviour, but ... of course if you have friends/relations in any of the countries that you are not entitled to buy from it's perfectly feasible to set up an account in their name, with their address and have the tickets delivered there. Most of them will allow pick up in Rio if you prefer and nearer the time they will almost certainly allow proxy pick up (ie the account holder nominates someone else - you! - to pick up on their behalf). The only fly in the ointment is some ATRs insist on the purchasing credit card be registered in the relevant country. But as I say, I'm not condoning this kind of behaviour :)
Last edited by: Mackem: Apr 25, 16 5:12
Quote Reply