Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Just trying to hit you with some brutal honesty here. You are what I would describe as an outspoken personality. Some people love it, some people hate it (they most likely take you the wrong way IMO). I'd take a guess that Team EMJ is going for the super nice guy image ("every man").

Oh that's not brutal, that's just honest (and something I'm definitely aware of). I probably rubbed someone wrong at some point (slash, a lot of people). But (this is to you specifically and to others in general), I'm actually just really sarcastic, and I generally mean well but unfortunately dry humor does not come across particularly well when typed out. I'm actually pretty reserved in person (so, a keyboard warrior to the T!) haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I know that, that's why I said I think people probably take you the wrong way. But it took me spending way too much time on ST to learn that about you lol!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This time last year I was also rejected from the TriSports Elite team. //

I wouldn't be too worried about this one, since Dan and I just bought all their assets in a bankruptcy back sale they probably were not thinking long term about a triathlon team at the time. Not sure if anyone got on that team a year ago either, but of course they are not on it now, doesn't matter how good they were.

I applied once to an elite AG team and also got turned down, I know your feelings. But as I was probably the best or one of 50+ guys in the world at the time, I had to chalk it up to just not what they were going for. Not even sure why I applied, I think because I wanted free coconut water or something like that. I got over it in about a day or so...Just a suggestion..
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Funniest part in all of this, it wasn't til like 2 months ago talking to Bryan that I even knew what EMJ products were. I had no clue it was shaving products (had never heard of it as shaving product either). I just thought it was a play on words for a team name (kinda the john doe type of reference), as it's been an team for what last 2-3 years? Steve Mantell was 1st guy I knew/recognized from the team. I think you have to stay as an AG'er also (I know Mantell earned his elite card and took it at some point while either with EMJ or left after)?

I thought it was just a cleaver name until I was in Target last month buying shaving cream. Maybe they need to up their social media exposure.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly missed an opportunity to apply for the Cupcake Cartel.

https://www.cupcakecartel.org

Perhaps Cal will see this thread and give you another chance.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is funny you say this because it does seem that being a part of a team is important to some, me included. I applied to EMJ during the first year and was accepted but ended up joining another team since I was a part of their "national" team but was accepted to the "elite" team that year so I wanted to stay with them. I wonder now if I would be accepted to the EMJ team if I applied now.

I am very happy with the EGO team I am a part of now since we have a good local presence so I actually see and race with/against people on the team as opposed to when I was with Snapple since most were based not the east coast. I did like chatting with the team members and felt it did give me a little extra motivation because I knew my teammates were out there training. But I also came from a soccer background so triathlon has been my only individual sport I have done so the team aspect seems normal to me.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read the Slow Twitch interview with Rich from a few weeks ago? There were a few Jokes about Rich not wanting people on his team who were faster than him. He might be serious and not want someone like you. That's why I didn't apply; at least that's what I tell myself. Now we have some motivation next time we see well groomed people wearing EMJ kits. I'm glad you and Rich aren't in my age group.
I did look at the EMJ application and since you applied, I gotta ask: What is the one Every Man Jack product that you can live without?

-Bifff
Team Castelli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Not everybody knows the softer side of James!

(I knew screen shotting that would come in handy at some point 😂)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as a general rule, active/desirable social media traits will often outweigh raw performance when it comes to most of these teams. Without reviewing follower/social/interaction history beyond ST, I'd probably point there as an underlying issue.

There are many mixed gender "Elite" teams, and I suppose the Smash/Dimond and top-level Betty athletes would be your female counterparts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
TriSports has had the ugliest uniforms known to man (with the exception of the USPRO Tri team's kits...woof)

I am beyond butt hurt, I was on both teams over the years. That makes me officially the ugliest pro in triathlon...

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
There are many mixed gender "Elite" teams, and I suppose the Smash/Dimond and top-level Betty athletes would be your female counterparts.

hahaha...no.

Sorry, to elaborate:

Team EMJ is a team of 75 of some of the best male age group athletes in the country (say what you will about the products or the team, most of them are quite fast). Smash/Dimond? Is that actually a "team" in the same sense that EMJ is? Top level Betty athletes? I mean, I just don't think there's a true counterpart to what EMJ is.

I think the opportunities for an AG only, female only, FOP team are fairly boundless.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 6, 17 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate you.

(not sarcasm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
So in a sense, being rejected from a team (in my mind) is like being rejected from a community.

To which I would respond that there are many teams, many communities in the tri-space; and certainly lots that would love to have someone of your caliber. And again, there are local teams if that's your focus. Move on and forget about the teams (forgot who they were) that didn't take you for 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, you're all helping me accomplish this! You know, group encouragement is never a bad thing.

Also, I'm not sure I'm of any caliber right now...the scale this morning was angry with me I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello jkhayc and All,

The solution is obvious ....

Start your own team ....

What to name it????

Heartbreak Ridge

The Forgotten

The Misfits

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

For A Few Dollars More

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is actually very pointed...I thought it would be super fun to start a triathlon team called "Team Me." This team would consist of rejects only. It would be entirely about self promotion.

Who's in?!

Also: currently searching for title sponsor. Gofundme to follow.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 6, 17 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I hate you.

(not sarcasm).

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

TriSports has had the ugliest uniforms known to man (with the exception of the USPRO Tri team's kits...woof)

I am beyond butt hurt, I was on both teams over the years. That makes me officially the ugliest pro in triathlon...

Just to be clear, there is a large local tri team right here in Florida that easily has the lock on the "ugliest uniforms known to man." I know and like a lot of the team members, but could never join because I would lose all motivation to race rather than be seen in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Here's another thought:

Where are the women's elite amateur teams? Am I just not aware of them or do they not exist?

Here's one - it is a lot smaller than EMJ. I'm not sure how much bigger Liz wants to make it, but they are very visible around the Boulder area and this year they have an expanded group of athletes outside the area - Not sure if they are part of the "team" or an ambassador type program. Edit - the non-local athletes are part of something called "Project Feisty".

http://vixxenracing.com/

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 6, 17 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the fantastic team experiences you had back in Charlotte this is honestly something I never thought I would read on here with your name attached to it. By applying to an elite team were you hoping to get into a group of people who could keep up with you on your workouts or just people to train with? I'm sure there are many folks around you of the later type and, if that's your main goal, then go do group workouts with them. You don't need a team to get a shared sense of community or feel important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the james and campbell rebel team sponsored by power crank .

jkhayc wrote:
This is actually very pointed...I thought it would be super fun to start a triathlon team called "Team Me." This team would consist of rejects only. It would be entirely about self promotion.

Who's in?!

Also: currently searching for title sponsor. Gofundme to follow.
Last edited by: pk: Dec 6, 17 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [fletcherandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fletcherandrew wrote:
After the fantastic team experiences you had back in Charlotte this is honestly something I never thought I would read on here with your name attached to it. By applying to an elite team were you hoping to get into a group of people who could keep up with you on your workouts or just people to train with? I'm sure there are many folks around you of the later type and, if that's your main goal, then go do group workouts with them. You don't need a team to get a shared sense of community or feel important.

Haha, you're totally right. It's interesting with remote teams in general actually that it's more of a "virtual" workout group, but I suppose the members of any team feel connected to their teammates through instagag, facematch, and stravasshole.. Although, to be honest, I find Strava very effective in motivating me to do stuff. Like I sort of hate to admit that, but it's definitely true. That's why both of those Charlotte teams were formed, "hey we all train together let's race in the same kit!" And that's what was great about it. Until it wasn't so great I guess. You definitely don't need a team to have a sense of community. You just need to have...community.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the james and campbell rebel team sponsored power crank"

how dare you! the one person i want to mute on ST...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team Betty has one this year
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Team Rejection [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took some finding, but I found their squad list. They do seem to have an Elite Team this year. I recognize a few of the names. Unsure I'd equate this to EMJ, but it's a good start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next