Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Research Study
Quote | Reply
Hi, all! My name is Todd Buckingham and I'm a triathlete and PhD student working on my dissertation. And wouldn't you know it, but my dissertation is on triathletes :)

I'm looking for anyone who has completed an Olympic distance triathlon in the last year to take a short survey and upload data from your multisport watch. I am looking to analyze factors that are measured by the watch to see if any of them are associated with faster finish times in each discipline and in the race overall.

The link to the survey can be found here: https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/...m/SV_aeCvv0plOP7syk5.

For more details on the survey, visit my website at www.toddbuckingham.com/blog/2017/6/13/todds-triathlon-study.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and thanks for your help!

Todd
Last edited by: toddbuckone: Oct 31, 17 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [toddbuckone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The link to your blog post is missing a ':' after http
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads-up, Chris! Change made. Hopefully, the link is up and running now!
Last edited by: toddbuckone: Oct 31, 17 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do the survey because I spent too much time looking at all the cinnamon buns...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 31, 17 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Glad you enjoyed all the cinnamon rolls, Sanuk. But you should still take the survey! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there anyway the long course data I have could still be used for your study?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This requires a watch that does the sport specific metrics, right? I have a 310XT and I don't have all those fancy numbers.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the question, cloy. I can still calculate some of the variables by hand, so it would be great if you would still take the survey. And pass the message along to any friends who have the watch that gives the fancy numbers ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done, hope it's helpful and interested to see what conclusions you come up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [Blee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Blee! I'll be sure to share them once I have all the data collected and published!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I wasn't sure how far back to go on PR numbers, so I went all the way. There is no way I'll post swim times that will come close to what I was doing in school, but I used those anyway. Hope that is what you wanted, now that I'm old and fat.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took this survey, and man I wish you luck, because I don't know how you are going to get good, clean, actionable, and statistically significant data that is comparable between races and athletes. Good luck. Maybe post the report when it's done
Last edited by: kileyay: Nov 1, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Hillary! That will work just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Kiley. I know, it's tough, but I'm trying to factor all that in when I run my analyses. I will share the results when I'm finished collecting data and publish my findings!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [dcolv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the question, dcolv. Right now, I'm just collecting data on the Olympic distance. I hope to eventually do all distances, though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The One and Only!

I am slacking...not sure if the Boyne data I pulled from the borrowed watch is useful, but I’ll send it and will do the survey.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Thanks, Aaron.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was a bit short on distances but I've uploaded it anyway. Hopefully it's a bit useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a problem, Tri_Joeri. Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer, sorry I can’t help out with watch data or the survey. Why is it the short stuff gets all the attention!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been injured this year, but could gladly offer my data and input from my training last year if that's helpful?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [jasonwiener] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to take the survey but the bib number is limited to 4 digits meaning I can't enter my bib as it was a 5 digit number.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's okay, Ilianias. Just put your full bib number in the comments!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Research Study [jasonwiener] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great, Jason. You can submit a race from 2016, just put that in the comments or in the section where it asks for the race name. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I think the long-course gets most of the attention. Just look at how many people were talking about Kona! (and still are). And there has been a fair bit of research done on long-course triathletes, too. Stay on the lookout for more opportunities next year, though. Hopefully, I will be doing another study on long-course triathletes then!
Quote Reply

Prev Next