Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets
Quote | Reply

I just don't get it. Why would a triathlete train or race in an aero road helmet like the Giro Air Attack or the Specialized Evade? It's definitely not faster than a regular aero helmet for the vast majority of people. It's not cooler than a standard road helmet. Is it about the best combination of ventilation/coolness/aero (like the IMAZ Rapp picture above, likely limited in helmet selection because of sponsorship), although lots of aero helmets can come pretty close here as well. Is it for Strava KOM hunters to be just a little bit faster out training? Do people just like the look of them? Maybe helmets in general are going in this direction, but for now I'm trying to figure out a good reason to wear one.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember Rapp saying that the Evade was as fast as the TT2, and better ventilated, making it an easy choice for US races (where the McLaren isn't legal).

He wore the McL in Kona:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I just don't get it. I'm trying to figure out a good reason to wear one.

Same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it was cost and practicality. As a teenager, at the time I was limited on money, so it wasn't feasible to have a road helmet AND an aero helmet. So I got an air attack shield. Easy choice for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well TT helmets look really dumb and aero road helmets have 99% of the benefit. What is wrong with with wearing it in training? It is not like you are wearing it out...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered an evade. For me doing IM Whistler (climbing course keep in mind), I move my head around, meaning I look up and look down a bit...so sticking a big fin in the air made little sense. I cannot peg my head like in all the lovely aero pics for 5:30hrs on an IM course...I have to break form and look down to keep loose and fresh. When I read the evade is as fast or darn close to XYZ helmet, plus its ventilated and I dont hurt myself drag wise for moving my head around seem to make sense.

If I was a spring or oly course guy I could probably hold that position and would do it in a normal aero dart style helmet..but that was my thinking...being ST open to hearing about it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would consider it. The reason being that I am minimalist but like to have two of somethings like a helmet in case something breaks or a sticker were to fall out. Having a Giro Air Attack would allow me to have a non-aero helmet for training, but not sacrifice as much aero in a back up situation. The yellow one has the benefit of being one of the highest viz helmets I have seen and that is always good for training.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention strava KOMs because I see plenty of guys on road bikes (probably more then triathletes actually) wearing their very fitted aero jersey and evade or air attack out pushing for known KOMs.

I've got a Rudy Windmax, Evade and P09 that I wear depending on what it is for. The Rudy was free to me so I use that the most. Sometimes I know I want to push some interval work outside or the group that I'm riding with will get a little spirited and throw lots of attacks in the middle of a long ride, I'll start pulling out the Evade. I also plan to use the Evade if I have to fly (except in the event I ever race Kona where I would bring my P09) to a race so I'm not carrying 2 helmets. The P09 is specifically for A races or races that I don't have to worry about taking up some extra space in my trunk...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Evade is damn fast. Only 5w slower (across yaws) than the McLaren. That's better than a LOT of other TT helmets. And better than any other TT helmet I could have worn for IMAZ (because of sponsorship).

The biggest factor, IMO, is actually the weight. These helmets put a LOT less strain on your neck because they are so light. And without the long tail, there's a lot less torque on your neck. That helps with running. How much? I don't know. But especially for folks that don't train a lot in the aero position, way easier to hold a good head position with an aero road helmet than a long-tailed TT helmet.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one welcome the trend. It's a sucker's bet and fools are dropping dimes left and right for them

Once in a while someone will get lucky and it'll work out in their favor. But would you throw money at the 10% chance of it working out or the 80% chance of it working out. I see lots of people placing sucker bets and I LOVE it. Especially when they are in my AG or racing my athletes.

Do some field testing. I think the differences may shock you vs what the manufacturers claim. I know they shocked me at how off those claims often were.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you're someone like Jordan or Thomas, conducting a field test requires actually buying the product...and the relevant competing products. And devising a reliable and robust testing protocol that doesn't involve renting a wind tunnel.

The latter might be semi-possible with a well thought out coast-down approach, given a perfectly windless day. Good luck getting data for a full range of yaw angles.

And good luck selling all of the not-best helmets you tested.

For the reasons Jordan mentioned, and the likelihood that one of these might actually outperform a teardrop aero lid if/when your head position isn't optimal, make it a compelling option IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I would consider it. The reason being that I am minimalist but like to have two of somethings like a helmet in case something breaks or a sticker were to fall out. Having a Giro Air Attack would allow me to have a non-aero helmet for training, but not sacrifice as much aero in a back up situation. The yellow one has the benefit of being one of the highest viz helmets I have seen and that is always good for training.

This is why I got mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
For me it was cost and practicality. As a teenager, at the time I was limited on money, so it wasn't feasible to have a road helmet AND an aero helmet. So I got an air attack shield. Easy choice for me.

What are those, $250? You can easily pick up a Giro Advantage 2 for $75 on the forums, which is a very fast aero helmet/definitely faster than an air attack, and then the extra $175 would have been more than enough for a premium helmet like the Lazer Genesis or something. I mean, I talk myself into a lot of purchases using "cost savings" as a basis too, but I think in this case this is a bad rationalization.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But why aren't you and other Specialized pros utilizing the fuel cell on your Shivs? Does the tunnel disprove the claimed "watts saved"?

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:
TriathlonKid wrote:

What are those, $250? You can easily pick up a Giro Advantage 2 for $75 on the forums, which is a very fast aero helmet/definitely faster than an air attack, and then the extra $175 would have been more than enough for a premium helmet like the Lazer Genesis or something. I mean, I talk myself into a lot of purchases using "cost savings" as a basis too, but I think in this case this is a bad rationalization.
Well, maybe the fact I got it on sale at the CDA Ironman village for 200 dollars would've been helpful in my original post. But I am still very happy with my purchase, and I don't regret it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You typically font need a full sweep of yaw angles to figure out if it's faster or not. Most times, not always, but way more often than not, if it's faster at 0 yaw when it sweeps out it'll still be faster.

Field testing isn't that hard, now acquiring the gear may be more difficult. But that's what friends are for, borrow their stuff.

The likelihood of them outperforming the top 2 or 3 aero helmets is pretty slim. But I embrace others embracing slim possibilities.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suppose "I don't have any friends" isn't the response to go with here ;)

It'd be interesting to combine the "tail down" and "tail up" Cd numbers for a TT helmet to get a "real world" Cd (using assumptions about % of time spent in each position over, say, an IM bike), and compare that against the same figure for these aero road helmets. Your guess would be better than mine I'm sure, but I'd bet the Cd discrepancies between the two styles melt away pretty fast as the % time spent "tail up" rises.

Now add the sort of intangibles like lower weight and better ventilation, plus the practicality factor, and it doesn't seem like such a bad option at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tail down + tail up still beats the aero road helmets from the testing I've seen.

EDIT: Aero helmets are the 1 thing that should always be taken with a grain of sand when looking at claims. I forgot what helmet we had that said they were the fastest aero helmet in the world or something like that. Well that helmet only tested in the top 3 once, maybe twice out of all the times it was tested.

I've said it numerous times, if I was buying an aero helmet I'd buy on the trends of what has proven to be the fastest or among the fastest helmets for the greatest number of people. That would not lead me to an aero road helmet but would lead me to one of 2 or 3 aero helmets.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 23, 14 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I forgot what helmet we had that said they were the fastest aero helmet in the world or something like that. Well that helmet only tested in the top 3 once, maybe twice out of all the times it was tested"

Cough.. spec mclaren.. cough
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Apr 23, 14 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
tail down + tail up still beats the aero road helmets from the testing I've seen.

EDIT: Aero helmets are the 1 thing that should always be taken with a grain of sand when looking at claims. I forgot what helmet we had that said they were the fastest aero helmet in the world or something like that. Well that helmet only tested in the top 3 once, maybe twice out of all the times it was tested.

I've said it numerous times, if I was buying an aero helmet I'd buy on the trends of what has proven to be the fastest or among the fastest helmets for the greatest number of people. That would not lead me to an aero road helmet but would lead me to one of 2 or 3 aero helmets.

I assume that would be the P09 for those of us in the US at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it would be the Air Advantage 2 if you were going by "across the board" tests from what I've seen. That helmet has a history of testing fast(est) for most people. but it's not as snazzy as some of the newer helmets - so there's that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. My wife got me the Evade for Xmas. Not wearing a gift from my wife is not an option.
2. I like the way I look in it, but this is a secondary concern because I look good in anything.
3. I am racing a few hot races, including St. Croix, and want something that is fast but not too hot.
4. Going faster in training is fun. I don't like slowing myself down in order to work harder. That's why God created the power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P09 is very fast when it works for you. But when it doesn't it's very slow.

If I was going to go buy an aero helmet based on what I know and not being able to test, I'd buy an A2. I might also buy the P09. But since I know the P09 isn't very fast for me and there are several choices that are faster, I'd go with the A2.

The A2 rarely tests the fastest but it rarely tests out of the top 3 helmet either from what i've seen. The other two helmets in that mostly in the top 3 could be any one of4 helmets.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes Wearing Aero Road Helmets [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I remember Rapp saying that the Evade was as fast as the TT2, and better ventilated, making it an easy choice for US races (where the McLaren isn't legal).

He wore the McL in Kona:

Since some of the other posts are off-topic....Rapp...where is your co2/tube in Kona. Might be a dumb question....was not sure if all pro's got support throughout the ride (noticed Crowie get a new wheel out of T1 in Kona). In AZ it looks like it might be in the rear cage. Thanks

Regarding the topic....I have the air attack, the evade, and I have ordered the Wing 57. If I could get the Mclaren, I would have ordered on of those instead. Not sure if I will be able to tell a difference between the 57 and the evade, but am going to find out. I do know the 57 was designed for a head down position, where I do not believe the evade was. Will I be able to tell a difference, given my 21 mph avg pace....doubt it, but I ran out of other things to mess with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next