Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's?
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang:

I am going to Boulder for weekend to hang with friends who just recently moved there. What are my triathlete "Must Do's"?

They got me a rental bike, so they are taking me out riding. I am too out of shape and slow on my best day(not to mention I live at Sea Level) to hit Dave Scott's masters class at Flat Irons.

So as a triathlete what should be on my "triathlete in Boulder checklist"?

Thanks

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Hey Gang:

I am going to Boulder for weekend to hang with friends who just recently moved there. What are my triathlete "Must Do's"?

They got me a rental bike, so they are taking me out riding. I am too out of shape and slow on my best day(not to mention I live at Sea Level) to hit Dave Scott's masters class at Flat Irons.

So as a triathlete what should be on my "triathlete in Boulder checklist"?

Thanks

Really?

Hang out with your friends. Then maybe ride a bike or go for a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are triathletes as well, and this will be a part of the hanging with friends part.
Not looking for epic stuff training wise (ie 6 hours of suffering on a bike or 3 hours runs). It is November after all.
But what are the good coffee houses,
Bike shops to visit ( I / everyone in the group love bikes and bike gear).
Some good hikes, that my friends may have not discovered yet
Rides that they may not have discovered yet
etc....

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few ideas:
For riding, I am sure you're friends have done it, but go up Left Hand Canyon. Weather looks to be good this weekend.
For swim or just working out, see if you can get a day pass for RallySport.
I like Colorado Multisport as a shop.
Trails: Just about anywhere you turn. If weather holds, you might want to get up into the Flatirons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to Dave and then Wolfgang's swim practices, introduce yourself and say hi. Two ironman legends in one trip, and you get a couple swims in from the best there ever was!!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vecchios is a really cool bike shop worth visiting, more road than tri but worth a look see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post the weather on twitter.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll be mentioned again, but if you don't make it to The Sink you may as well not even go to Boulder.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Casa Bonita!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amante for coffee (north boulder one - use it as a starting point for a bie ride). The Boulder Roubiax course is pretty tame and should be sorta weather proof. Might be too snowy for climbing.
Unique-to Boulder Breweries: Avery on Arapahoe, J Wells on Pearl
Tons of great swank dining options (salt, frasca, etc), but a couple of true "Boulder" places are Mod Market on 29th for lunch, Sherpa's on the west side of town for dinner (run by retired actual Sherpas). Rubens is cycling themed & good burgers.

Running/hiking - Mesa trail is interesting, easy to access. Flatiron visa network is pretty cool south of town. Bear peak hike is cool as well.
Bike shops - Performance bike is the best shop in town. They have this amazing " red phone" deal where you can order stuff and have it shipped to the store FOR FREE. Actually, Vechios is cool for handlebar mustache and steel bike observations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go run the stairs at red rocks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left Hand Canyon is the classic ride. It was quite sloppy today from the Tuesday night snow. I'd give it a few days. It should warm up enough to melt out, though there will be quite a bit of sand on the road. If that's not appealing, the ride to Carter Lake is a popular ride with triathletes. It gives you a feel for the triathlons which use some of those roads. On a nice day you'll see all sorts of tri folks out there. The best views are on Sunshine Canyon (which you can easily ride right from town) or on Sugarloaf, which you'll want to drive to the start. Lee Hill is a good hill climb with no snow as of today. It's not super scenic, but it's nice.

If you really want to do a memorable Boulder thing, hire a rock climbing guide (Colorado mountain school) and climb the Third Flatiron on a warm day (maybe Saturday). It will mean vastly more than riding a bike on some road and sipping coffee at Amante. Unless, of course, you're either afraid of heights or already a rock climber.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Rode left hand canyon down Thurs / up to Jamestown on Friday. Hit the coffee house and bikeshop in North Boulder.
The weather has been great.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you are having fun. Was the road to Jamestown open? It had been closed to bikes (except with a permit) until very recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I would recommend Boxcar Coffee for an after ride cup (possibly the best coffee need coffee in town) and a swing through happy hour at The Kitchen Next Door. Both are cool spots where one can usually spot a pro athlete or two. Enjoy the rad weather.

-----------------------------
Full disclosure: Zwift, former Zipp and SRAM Design Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably too late, but my favorite restaurants in Boulder are Lucy's for breakfast and Centro for dinner. Also, Lucky's Bakehouse and Creamery is pretty off the charts for baked goods or ice cream.

I've only visited in summer, so not sure what activities might be available this time of year. I like riding to Nederland via fire roads, but probably requires a mountain bike or cyclocross bike, if even possible right now. Also, hiking Long's Peak (easy 14'er) and then grabbing lunch at Bea Jeau's in Idaho Springs was a good time. I'd guess that's out of the question given the time of year though.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last morning in Boulder. Left tbe house for coffee across town at Amante 55degrees when we left. 1hour later.... 23degrees. Ummm back to California for me. Jamestown was open.. And Boxcar cofffee is awesome.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the plummeting temperature was dramatic and quite odd. That cattle smell means the wind is coming from the East, and can be a sign of bad things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you had a great visit here. Born and raised here and I hate winter no less for that.

Im glad you got some good weather for most of it. Come back and check it out when it's true paradise. Like May - Early October.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beaujos pizza in idaho springs is a must
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be a must after you've ridden Mt. Evans. Otherwise, meh, we have one in Boulder and even that is hardly worth the bother.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I'm probably too late, but my favorite restaurants in Boulder are Lucy's for breakfast and Centro for dinner. Also, Lucky's Bakehouse and Creamery is pretty off the charts for baked goods or ice cream.

I've only visited in summer, so not sure what activities might be available this time of year. I like riding to Nederland via fire roads, but probably requires a mountain bike or cyclocross bike, if even possible right now. Also, hiking Long's Peak (easy 14'er) and then grabbing lunch at Bea Jeau's in Idaho Springs was a good time. I'd guess that's out of the question given the time of year though.

Lucile's? is probably what you're thinking, although the Lucky's grocery store in North Boulder also has a small breakfast place.

Every path to Ned involves dirt roads except for Boulder Canyon. Some can be ridden on road bikes, some at least a CX bike, others MTB only. Its good to have options!

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Lucile's? is probably what you're thinking, although the Lucky's grocery store in North Boulder also has a small breakfast place.

Every path to Ned involves dirt roads except for Boulder Canyon. Some can be ridden on road bikes, some at least a CX bike, others MTB only. Its good to have options!

Ha, sorry, yes. Lucile's for bfast. Their buttermilk biscuits are pretty off the charts.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last time I went, I dropped into Dave Scott's swim class and was literally the slowest person in the pool. There were people twice my age too. If that makes you feel any better

Lucile's breakfast was pretty awesome. Show up early though

There's an amazing Indian restaurant in downtown you gotta try. Forgot the name but the building is unique, so its hard to miss.

I also jogged on the dirt roads by the reservoir. Nice scenery and very quiet. May have been part of the Ironman course. Not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete visiting Boulder: Triathlete must do's? [tenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too late for this trip but next time check out Swim Coach Geoff on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/swimcoachgeoff. A MUST for anyone who wants to get in a beneficial workout with an extremely knowledgable and technical coach - if you want to improve your stroke and efficiency, Geoff is the guy to see. And no crowded lanes.
Quote Reply