Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri vs. Road Crank Length
Quote | Reply
Curious about those that have adopted somewhat shorter cranks on their tri rigs for fit / hip position.

Do you also go with shorter cranks on your road bike?

What thing(s) influence this decision?

For reference:

I'm 5'11", and use 165mm cranks on the tri bike (a quarq), and I've ridden a 170mm on the road bike, which works fine, but it's just what came on the bike.

I'm about to get another quarq for the road bike, and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a 170 or a 165.

My road bike position is fairly close to my tri bike - seat forward; relatively aggressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs. Road Crank Length [Keith A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any reason you don't slap the Quarq on your road and test out the 165's first? Lots of bb adapters etc for funky bb shell swaps for a test run! My crank shortening project started with road from 175 to 170 and then went 165 on tt. None of it in search of power, just fit/comfort on both.

Are you saying your road hip angle is close to your tt hip angle? Or that you just ride a road bike really steep? This is a big bullet point when trying to replicate similar feels b/t the two and dealing with separate crank lengths. Really though on a road bike it's so easy to manipulate the hip angle by expansion/contraction of your arms you can probably deal with any number of lengths reasonably well.

Ride safely out there!
Last edited by: tigerpaws: May 24, 15 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs. Road Crank Length [Keith A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1", 34" inseam.
Ride 175mm on the road bike.
Ride 170mm on the tri bike.

Personally, if I was to buy another road bike or replace the crankset then I would stay with the 175s.
For me, the decision to go shorter on the tri bike (I used to be on 175mm on both bikes) was because I was buying a new groupset anyway and figured I could open my hips a little. I'm not sure that I would have bought a new set of cranks purely to go shorter.

I wouldn't mind trying 165mm cranks on the tri bike just to see if I prefer it, but am not willing to pay the cash to find out right now. I'd probably also drop to a 50t big ring if I did that.
Will definitely continue with 175mm on the roadie.

If I was you, I'd actually be tempted to go slightly longer on the road bike and get 172.5mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs. Road Crank Length [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, good thought, that's probably the best plan. It took me a month or so to acclimate & be sure I liked the 165's on the tri bike, and I hate to be swapping back and forth for that long.

I am still curious about others' experiences / preferences.
Quote Reply