Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri the Boat (Steamboat)
Quote | Reply
Any feedback on this race, specifically the 70.3? I have heard there have been significant issues in the past but am looking for a non-Boulder 70.3 in Colorado now that the 106 West isn't happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri the Boat (Steamboat) [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it last year and enjoyed it. There were a few issues with the general execution (bike racks in transition were in pretty bad shape, aid stations weren't the greatest), but it was still a fun race. They changed the run this year, so it looks like it's a little easier than the previous times.

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
....now that the 106 West isn't happening.

Curious, where did you hear 106 West is not happening? I checked their site, and it doesn't have any information about canceling, but I did click "pre-register" and noted that you cannot register and the event is listed as "event ended".

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri the Boat (Steamboat) [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is on the '106 West Triathlon' FB page:

"Hi Everyone! For those who have pre-registered, you should have been refunded today. The reason being, we do not have enough answers to launch registration May 1st and we don't want to string anyone along. There's a chance that we figure out courses and are able to host this event again, but we do not want anyone making plans around us right now. We're super bummed, as you know it took a decade to get this permit in the first place, so a lot of hard work went in to creating this great athletic challenge. We know we will be back and thanks for all the love!"
Quote Reply
Re: Tri the Boat (Steamboat) [Jace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Jace. Any idea of the elevation gain on the bike? The race site doesn't list it; I emailed the race director but have not heard back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri the Boat (Steamboat) [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn, I e-mailed the 106 West director last week asking what the status was. Yesterday he responded to my e-mail saying that the race was cancelled and directed me to their Facebook page where the announcement was made last Friday:

"Hi Everyone! For those who have pre-registered, you should have been refunded today. The reason being, we do not have enough answers to launch registration May 1st and we don't want to string anyone along. There's a chance that we figure out courses and are able to host this event again, but we do not want anyone making plans around us right now. We're super bummed, as you know it took a decade to get this permit in the first place, so a lot of hard work went in to creating this great athletic challenge. We know we will be back and thanks for all the love!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike course is is somewhere around 3000 ft. Here's my strava from last year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621938360

AP Racing Crew|Cupcake Cartel|Picky Bar AmBadassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year too (pulled out on the run though as I was toast from the heat). It was an okay race. Here are some pros and cons

Pros:
-cool location with an amazing swim venue. Prepare for cold water though
-large transition with tons of room for gear
-small field so plenty of room on the Nike.
-great hotels close by so nice for a family to go with

Cons:
-limited Porto potties at the start :(
-bike course was okay. Roads were in okay shape bit there were some long sections of chipseal that I could not get a rhythm going on. As others noted limited aid stations on the bike.
-parking is tricky on a ranch so get there early or you will have a hike on a dirt / gravel road.
-while the hotels close by (within 30-45 mins) are nice there is not much for family to do once at the race.

All in all a not a bad race. Good luck if you do it!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply