Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri suit recommendations
Quote | Reply
Would like to gather some opinion on what tri suit or kit to buy for season. My plans now include 4 or 5 sprints and 1 70.3, so mix of stuff. I'm torn on whether to get sleeved or sleeveless AND whether to get 1 or 2 piece. Couple with this I have sleeveless wetsuit.

1. Seriously, will I look like a tool if I wear sleeved top under sleeveless wetsuit? Looks aside, would it negatively impact my swim enough to negate or reduce the overall seconds saved on the bike?
2. Ive read of people rolling down tops under wetsuits, but I worry in a sprint race, will trying to wrestle that up my wet arms in T1 will cost me more time than the sleeves will save me? For 70.3 I wouldn't mind extra seconds, but sprints not so much.
3. Does 1 piece vs 2 (sleeved or sleeveless) have any effect on aerodynamics? I'm thinking of tops bunching or something.
4. Are sleeved tops really that much faster, enough to say to me, forget the potential swim and T1 headaches just get sleeves and deal with it? Read on AG that LG said it'd save 16 watts, which is a lot I think. Any real world experiences out there for comparisons?

Sorry for another tri suit thread. Tried to do search but "sleeved tri suit under sleeveless wet suit" drove the search function nuts...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit recommendations [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Yes. Get a real wetsuit.
2) Don't roll down your top in a sprint. Good grief.
3) It depends on your body and how each suit fits.
4) It depends on your body and how each suit fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with above poster on not rolling it down if you go sleeved. Some of the new suits are so flexible that you really don't know they are there from a stretch standpoint. I'm not sure of aero figures, but I would go 1 piece no matter what. They are MUCH more comfortable, and frankly if you have to "stop" you didn't plan well, so your race is compromised anyway. I notice very little time difference in getting a 1 piece down if needed, and to me the extra "bunching" a 2 piece drawstring and fabric causing middle compression while aero is the cause of a number of issues.
My favorite, obviously, is Kiwami and Andre offers the entire gamut, from ITU style rear zip to sleeved aero and in between.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in basically the exact same debate as you. I would very much liek to get a sleeved suit this year but was hesitant with the sleevles wet suit. I have never found a wetsuit that was not too constrictive in the shoulders, most wont even zip up in the back ( I wish this was a humble brag about my broad shoulders but at this point I would love to have a cyclists build) so I am left sleeveless wetsuit as my only option.

In the end I am leaning towards looking a bit like a tool for the five minutes prior to race start, once your in the water from there on it doesn't matter. If I go this route I might even toss some arm warmers on while waiting on the beach just to complete the look.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit recommendations [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to try the Roka Maverick X or any of the new Roka suits with the updated design. The shoulder flexibility is really good.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit recommendations [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You need to try the Roka Maverick X or any of the new Roka suits with the updated design. The shoulder flexibility is really good.

I don't doubt that at all. When I can justify a new wetsuit purchase to the wife I'll look at those. But my wetsuit is 1 year old and all my tri kit pieces are 2 to 4 years old. I have a more urgent need to get new race/training clothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love a couple more opinions, sounds like at this point if I can just swallow the issue of wearing it under wetsuit, the 1 piece sleeved suit is the best choice? I assume peiple wear them under swimskins sometimes anyways so its not unheard of? General comfort, bike speed, UV protection, sleeved beats sleeveless it seems. If I get a proper sized one the sleeves shouldn't slow me down in the water...so I might look silly waiting for the gun to go off before the swim...if I'm faster in the end I can deal with that. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't look silly wearing sleeves under a swimskin or wetsuit. Plenty of people do it. I wouldn't roll it down for the swim. It's nothing compared to swimming in a wetsuit.

I use the Garneau M-2 one piece. No issues with pulling at the shoulders during the swim, and I have large shoulders for a triathlete. No sunburns on the bike and it wasn't noticeable hot on a super hot course. Fabric is thin, so take your time getting into it if you fall into the top end of the size.

Garneau's site has a decent sizing chart, and the fit was best for me. May not work for you.

Sign up for email and you'll get a 20% coupon, which will bring the price to around $240. You didn't give a budget.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out 17 Hours on Facebook. Aussie company doing super comfortable and good looking one piece sleeved tri suits. And probably the best prices around as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri suit recommendations [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure a lot of people would balk at wearing a suit with '17 Hours' written on it :-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply