Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike vs. road with clip ons??
Quote | Reply
So i have a road bike with clip on aero bars and a forward facing seatpost. Its not comfortable at all. Im thinking of springing for a tri bike since this is my 5th season in triathlon and its time to upgrade (i proved to my wife this wasnt a just a hobby so i am ALLOWED to get a new bike). Ive done 2 Full IM, many 70.3s and a few shorter races. By the end of the bike, im sitting up completely because im so uncomfortable.

Will the fit on a tri bike be so different that its worth paying for a new bike or should i keep my current ride and get a new fit? Help please
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike vs. road with clip ons?? [jt_tris28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JT...can I call JT? It's so hard to know with the anonymity thing. I find that part of the forum a bit of a disappointment - but, alas.

I think you can probably get more comfortable with the existing road bike + aerobar set up you have. And I think you'd also be super stoked to have a real road bike and a proper tri bike, especially if you're racing often and sometimes long.

The answer for you lies in what one might call a "pre-fit". Go and have your optimal position created on a fit bike and leave with two sets of numbers: 1) will be all of your fit coordinates so that you can put current ride into that great position and 2) are the stack and reach of a tri bike you might acquire. Then you can tweak the current set up and see if you love it and, if not, then you can go and purchase a tri bike.

I believe that both can be comfortable, the missing factor will this this: the converted road bike (when comfy) will very likely not handle as well as the tri bike when comfy.

Ian

PS. go into the "fitters" section of the Slowtwitch site, seek out fitters in your area, contact them to see who has a dynamic fit bike and what they charge to take you through this process. Make your choice based on: proximity, cost and communication (response time + "feel").

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike vs. road with clip ons?? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian, Thanks!
I had a RETUL fit 2 years ago for my road bike...no clip-ons. The seatpost i have is a Redshift post that can be moved from normal to forward. I was never fit for the aero position and I have been tweaking the fit myself for the last 2 years. I really want an excuse to get a tri bike but i dont want to buy it and never ride it. I do most if not all of my long rides alone so the tri bike would be great for training and racing.

I guess im looking for validation that a tri bike is worth it and i will get used to being in that position for longer periods of time.

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tri bike can give you many advantages.
Likely you should get one if you're going to be in this sport for a while.
But you can be very be uncomfortable on a tri bike too. What specifically is uncomfortable about your current set up?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike vs. road with clip ons?? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Originally i felt stretched out...so i got the redshift seatpost. Now, i feel crunched forward. So i move the seat back a little...then that just feels wrong. I feel like i cant win on this set up. its gotten me through races but im tired of just finishing. i think getting a tri bike and having a proper fit on it will be what i need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a fit from someone not trying to sell you a bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have a some classic issues from trying to convert a road bike to a tri bike. Go with an inexpensive tri bike to start (you might find lots in the used bike arena, but getting the right size might be harder without some help). Read up fully on tri bike fit and how it is different from road bike fit (lots of good resources on this site), and then I would 2nd the other post, get fit from someone not trying to sell you a bike.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in your exact same position 2 years ago. I was several years into the sport, completed a full and a couple halfs, and a couple dozen shorter distances. I had been riding a road bike with the forward post, and clip ons. Although my rig was comfortable(as comfortable as a bike can be). Wife gave me permission to get the new bike.

I couldn't believe the difference it made. I use it for almost all my riding. Every now and then I take the road bike out for shits and giggles, and to remind myself how slow I was. My new bike is even faster on climbs as well. It's just a much better ride. Once I got comfortable on the bike and could stay aero, I was a good 1-2 mph faster than I had been, and my run times dropped a ton too. My legs felt so much better during races than they ever did on the road bike.

Like others said though, take your time getting the right bike for you, but I'd make the plunge and get the new ride.
Quote Reply