Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height
Quote | Reply
if a generalization could be made, is your tri saddle height (saddle to center of BB) higher, lower, or the same compared to your road bike?

Don't forget to adjust for crank length differences.

Thx!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Tri bike is 1cm lower to account for the slightly different geometry on the saddle over the bb
So my fitter tells me.
I was a little over stretched on the Tri bike. It caused a fair bit of irregular movement on the saddle
When it was lowered a little I was a lot more centred and steady.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mine exactly the same height from pedal to center of saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly the same. My goal is to keep the same knee angle on both steeds (despite riding shallow [74^] on the roadie and steep [79^] on the Shiv).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since your point of contact on the saddle and and body position is likely vastly different on the two, how could this be possibly a useful metric?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Last edited by: DrTriKat: Dec 22, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean drastically different? My body geometry from road to tri bike is almost identical.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pics?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hips are the same distance from the cleat on my shoe at BDC on all of my bikes... i.e. i am functionally very similar across my bikes which s what i am aiming for...

As the saddles are not the same and neither are my shoes (crank length is the same), the exact measurement isn't relevant as the measurement points are not the same...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
What do you mean drastically different? My body geometry from road to tri bike is almost identical.

Then you have at least one rubbish position.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or perhaps you are failing to understand that he may have the same "physical position" which on the tt bike is rotated forward...
Actual bike set up will obviously be different....and he is f course supporting his mass differently... but the mechanics are the same..

Neither position may be rubbish.... or if one is, so is the other......
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shadwell wrote:
Or perhaps you are failing to understand that he may have the same "physical position" which on the tt bike is rotated forward...
Actual bike set up will obviously be different....and he is f course supporting his mass differently... but the mechanics are the same..

Neither position may be rubbish.... or if one is, so is the other......

He doesn't according to his previous posts...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If TT and Road positions are the same, with the only change being a rotation about the bottom bracket, you still end up sitting on a different part of your nether regions, likely on a different part of the saddle, or entirely different saddle.

Thus the height to some part on the saddle from the bottom bracket, is likely going to be different, though the distance to the center of your hips should be about the same.

It is difficult to even know where to measure on the saddle to try and set up a TT bike the same as a road bike. I usually just pick something reasonably close to where the ass is going to be on the saddle, then adjust based on the resulting knee angle from there.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xsive wrote:
if a generalization could be made, is your tri saddle height (saddle to center of BB) higher, lower, or the same compared to your road bike?

Don't forget to adjust for crank length differences.

Thx!!

The distance from your ischial tuberosity (sit bones) to the contact point of your ball of foot should be the same on road and triathlon bikes. When you start thinking about different crank lengths, shoe sole thickness, socks vs. sockless, different pad thickness, and where you ride on the saddle, it becomes very murky. I think at the end of the day, my saddle height on the tri bike is slightly higher (2-3 mm) than road bike when compared to bottom bracket axle, but I ride the saddle nose, I have shorter cranks, I use a thinner pad in my tri shorts than road bibs, so in the end it comes out about the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike saddle height vs. road saddle height [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly... Hence my original comment re distance from cleat to hip..
Ie irrespective of the bikes actual dimensions.... I am only concerned about my functionality, comfort and ultimately efficiency on the bike.. Dimensions less so...

Practically tho a starting point can be to maintain the same bb to saddle dimension at a point where the saddle is for example 100mm wide.. (From a known good road position) Use this irrespective of the set back... And then tune depending on the saddle angle and where you are on it ie for aft....
Quote Reply