Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri bike fit process
Quote | Reply
So, now that it is off season, going to put in a real effort on bike fit. Technically, I have never done this so after another bummer season on the bike, time to
get some numbers.

I have got some info on the internet which seems like a good start from what I am reading, but some processes seem to be better suited for a road setup, than TT.

My first focus is to deal with the bike seat. From what I have read so far, at 3 oclock, my knee should be over the bike spindle? If so, good chance my seat is way too far forward.

From what I can see for seat height, if I put my heal in bike shoes on the pedal, my leg should be 180 degrees..

After I get these set, then I am going to look at the angle of my knee on the 12 position. What from I read, one does not want this angle to be less than 70.
Seems if I have my seat setup correctly, and my knee is still too tight, then going to shorter cranks might be the next thing I have to look at.

I for the first time road my Velotron on a flat course for an hour to get a base line before I start moving stuff. Was neat to be able to see the power I was pushing with my existing setup. Was also interesting to watch the power change depending if I was sitting upright, in the road bar drops, or in the aero bars so the same effort. I could not argue that I saw easily a 10 watt increase in the aero bars.

What shall be fun is when I make some changes, I have the tool that should be able to show if my power goes up or down. I am also tracking rpm and hr.

So just trying to see if anyone has produced a step by step guide to doing a bike fit that is clearly focused on a TT bike.

(I did search ST before asking and did not seem to find what I was looking for.)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 10, 17 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
My first focus is to deal with the bike seat.

no

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

My first focus is to deal with the bike seat.

no

So, if not, what is first?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

So just trying to see if anyone has produced a step by step guide to doing a bike fit that is clearly focused on a TT bike.

Maybe this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I read somewhere that there was something called a "professional" bike fit? And someone here has a lot of experience in this?

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could just reference ST's FIST series of articles...

OddSlug wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Maybe this?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1-get a professional bike fit
Step 2-if needed, make minor adjustments after fit using the bike fitter you paid for the fit. The $200 or whatever you pay will save you countless time and give you a better fit
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 8, 17 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Step 2-if needed, make minor adjustments after fit using the bike fitter you paid for the fit. The $200 or whatever you pay will save you countless time and give you a better fit

All kindsa wrong.
1 - go with your plan, make sure you post about it
2 - ask random people on a forum to help you improve the result obtained in step one.

(I'll have a little extra time on my hands and this should be good entertainment)

NO
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Maybe this?

Thanks. At least this one says start with seat height. :) And is says to do what I have had a biker stud tell me to do.
The seat location is not what I have been told but great start.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Or you could just reference ST's FIST series of articles...

OddSlug wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I made a stab at finding some to read, but I did not find what I was looking for.

Maybe this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

Going to wait until Dan comes but up to Rockin in like May and get a fit from him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My version :

Step 2-ride your bike a lot
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

All kindsa wrong.
1 - go with your plan, make sure you post about it
2 - ask random people on a forum to help you improve the result obtained in step one.

(I'll have a little extra time on my hands and this should be good entertainment)

Even though I know the mob will be out in full force, what I am trying to do might help some others, without having to spend the money.

I will try to update as I move along what seems to work and not. Posting my numbers from the trainer on power, HR, rpm, etc that I am collecting.
And of course if I find numbers that show I need to go to smaller cranks from my 200mm's. I am working with Frank Day on this so am getting inputs from all sides.

I guess this is just one of my troll posts, right? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, you are going to do a fit yourself that will likely fail and spend the next 8 months using that fit to train only to have Dan sweep in and undo 8 months of hard work to save $200.

I don't think you are trolling one bit...But, I really thought this post might have been you turning a page in your I cant-get-any-faster-on-my-bike-and-have-to-do-things-the-same-way-I-have-always-done-them mentality. Apparently not. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Worst case, Dan tweaks the fit you get or offers an even better opinion for slight improvement in that fit. I am fairly confident that Dan would give similar advice in he were to chime in here.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 8, 17 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
And of course if I find numbers that show I need to go to smaller cranks from my 200mm's. I am working with Frank Day on this so am getting inputs from all sides.
OMG didn't realize what we were dealing with.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is the resident flat earther. I would move swiftly on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no pro bike fitter, but my method is the exact opposite of what you described.

Start with the hands, then the elbows, then the seat height, then the BB location relative to the seat. Takes into account all your limitations along the way.

But that's just me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Going to wait until Dan comes but up to Rockin in like May and get a fit from him.

Dude, you have the guy that wrote the book on fitting people for tri bikes, let alone helping invent them offering to fit you. You're retired. Take two days out of your life and drive down to his place. I would love to have that opportunity! I'm still kicking myself for not driving 6 hours to have him do a quick fit on me when the Roadshows were in Dallas.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
so, you are going to do a fit yourself that will likely fail and spend the next 8 months using that fit to train only to have Dan sweep in and undo 8 months of hard work to save $200.

I don't think you are trolling one bit...But, I really thought this post might have been you turning a page in your I cant-get-any-faster-on-my-bike-and-have-to-do-things-the-same-way-I-have-always-done-them mentality. Apparently not. TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Worst case, Dan tweaks the fit you get or offers an even better opinion for slight improvement in that fit. I am fairly confident that Dan would give similar advice in he were to chime in here.

Wow, just wow. I AM trying something different. I am looking at my bike fit which I have never done before. I am testing it on my Velotron trainer with real numbers.
If this is not different, not sure what is.

I am working with a number of folks who probably know more than more "fitters". And that is the point, every fitter is different, which says all I need to hear.
I am taking all the inputs, trying things that to me make sense and are the most supported of an idea, and they trying this stuff on the trainer to see if the numbers change. Most fitters do not even use a power meter.

Oh well, as I knew, no matter what I do, if it is not exactly the way a person says it has to be done, it must be wrong. Well, I was taught there are 10 ways to skin a cat.

Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Dude, you have the guy that wrote the book on fitting people for tri bikes, let alone helping invent them offering to fit you. You're retired. Take two days out of your life and drive down to his place. I would love to have that opportunity! I'm still kicking myself for not driving 6 hours to have him do a quick fit on me when the Roadshows were in Dallas.

I am kicking myself when he has twice been 45 minutes from my house and did not sign up for a fit. I was in the store when he was working on a fit for one of my friends. But, it has taken me this long to understand the bike fit I thought I had was not right. Oh well, all I can do is go forward.

I am going to be in LA near him, but darn, I am there Oct 15-18th and I believe Dan will be in Hawaii for IM during that time. Boo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me amend my response

Step 1-research, ask on here, etc and find the right bike fitter for you that will consider your particular needs and input--a good one should do that.
Step 2 get a professional bike fit
Step 3-if needed, make minor adjustments after fit using the bike fitter you paid for the fit.

The $200 or whatever you pay will save you countless time and give you a better fit

Sure there are many ways to skin a cat but getting a good professional bike fit is basically a nearly universally accepted good/proper first step.

I have no vested interest in your success or failure. Although I find your posts often maddening, I don't think any are ill-willed the way others sometimes do. I think you are just a unique person--but you know that!! Take or leave the advice as you see fit.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 8, 17 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

OMG didn't realize what we were dealing with.

Lol got to be taking the piss right??? I'm guessing the front end will be far from slammed...
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike fit process [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
I'm no pro bike fitter, but my method is the exact opposite of what you described.

Start with the hands, then the elbows, then the seat height, then the BB location relative to the seat. Takes into account all your limitations along the way.

But that's just me.

Exactly

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
brider wrote:

But that's just me.

Exactly

Well, this clearly supports my comment that there is not only one way to get a bike fit. If there only one "right" way to do a bike fit, sure seems everyone would be doing it the same.

Oh well, thanks for folks adding comments on things that have worked for them.

What things from a bit fit have folks said were wrong for them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
From what I have read so far, at 3 oclock, my knee should be over the bike spindle? If so, good chance my seat is way too far forward.

KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) has no scientific basis, it just happens to be roughly where a lot of people's knees end up with a traditional road fit. Which usually involves a bike with a roughly 73 degree seat tube angle and the rider sitting towards the rear of the saddle.

Steepen the seat angle to 78 degrees, and ride sitting near the nose of the saddle, and your knee is going to move forward significantly. In my case, on my road bike my knee is about 5mm behind the spindle, while on my tri bike its 90mm in front...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next