Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bike - upgrade current or buy a new one?
Quote | Reply
I’m an average age-grouper, with relatively strong biking, doing all types of events but my main focus is on half and full iron man races.
Today I’m riding a 2012 Slice Hi-mod, with full mechanical Ultegra except for a 3D rotor crank with a Pwr2Max meter. Zipp 404 front ad 808 rear completes the bike.
I’m quite happy with the setup I have but there is always the craving for something new and improved. I’m considering two options.
The first option is to buy a new “super-bike” – a SC 9 series, the new Argon 18 119, BMC TM01 and so on. All with new Ultegra Di2. The current wheels will stay, saving me some purchase costs.
The second option is to stay with the frame I have but upgrade the drivetrain to Di2, the brakes to Tri-Rig and maybe add some other “functional bling”.
The main thing for me in order to choose between the options is to understand how much better in terms of speed and overall riding experience the newer frames will be compared to the Hi-mod I have. I would appreciate your views on this. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike - upgrade current or buy a new one? [Yuval Ind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike!

Pimp the front end with a load of goodies from TriRig, job done.

Maybe look at throwing a few $$ at a wind tunnel session?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've thought about this too, and the copious amount of time I have spent on here has led me to think hard about a couple of things;

1. The frame is a fairly small contributor to the overall aerodynamic efficiency of a bike + rider.
2. A lot of what makes a "superbike" fast is the front end.

You can emulate quite a bit of what a modern fast bike is doing with a bit of careful thought. You can get quite a bit of the benefit of an integrated superbike front end by using something like the Tririg Sigma stem and tidying up the cable routing. You might be able to upgrade your bars to something like a Felt Devox, or even the Tririg Alpha. And, at the risk of sounding like I work for Nick Salazar, you could do as you say and look at the Omega brake. You already have nice wheels and a power meter, you could put a cover on the back wheel. I personally wouldn't bother with Di2 as it won't make you faster unless the cable management is easier, but you might enjoy it and if it gets you out on your bike more then that will definitely make you faster.

To give you an idea, I ride a "Classic" Cervelo P3C, 2012. I put Felt Devox bars on there which are likely to be really aero, they are low stack which is what I needed. I fitted the Tririg Sigma XF stem and drilled the top tube to move all the cables out of the wind. I swapped the stock headset dust cover for a lower profile one, have a slamthatstem cover to go on there shortly. I fitted a Tririg Omega. Also have a disc wheel, Hed Jet front, a power meter. I'm not going to get to the tunnel, but I would be surprised if I was giving up very much against a recent well-rated bike, and it has my personal stamp to it. Couple of pictures below to show how clean the front end can be made with a bit of time and effort. I'm going to fit the Torhans Aerobento to the top tube by adding some bosses when I get around to it, and with a modification to push it right up behind the stem it won't be losing much to, for example, the integrated storage on the recent Canyon. The Sigma provides bosses for a BTA bottle cage, I mount the Xlab Torpedo in there.

Last edited by: knighty76: Sep 1, 15 2:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
I really appreciate your feedback, you gave me things to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, TriRig for bars and brakes should get you plenty close to the superbikes. Maybe a Di2 retrofit as it's pretty cheap these days. Spend the rest on getting your position more aero. Wind tunnels aren't always the best, so if you have a track I'd go for that instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike - upgrade current or buy a new one? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Closure...
AeroJacket was fitted to the rear Zipp 808. The difference is noticeable.
The brakes were replaced with a pair of TriRig Omega X. Great upgrade, much better in all respects than the Shimano pair I had.
The TriRig aerobar might be great, but it is very expensive and the delivery waiting time is really long so I bought a Zipp Vuka Stealth. The bike is currently in the LBS, they are fitting the new aerobar and at the same time upgrading the derailleurs and shifters to Ultegra Di2 (for the extensions shifters I went with the one button, Dura-Ace version).
I'm really happy with the overall process.
Apart form ending with a great bike that should suit me for several more years - its nice having a kind of a "tailored made" bike and not a generic, off-the-shelf ride.
Thanks for all who posted and helped me make the right decision.
Last edited by: Yuval Ind: Nov 1, 15 8:53
Quote Reply