Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri bike- where to put bike computer?
Quote | Reply
Hey was wondering where to put my bike computer in location to my aero bars- especially if I get an aero waterbottle? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [cfmini32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a dremel to cut a small piece of pvc down--fits right between my bars. then use the regular garmin 500 mount on the pvc pipe. black spray paint and a couple of holes for zip ties. bam. computer is right between my arms below my hands. still plenty of room for a water bottle.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People love to spend all kinds of time creating a solution that already exists http://www.barflybike.com/barflytt/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't my bike, but X-Lab makes a computer mount that works if you want to have a BTA bottle and your computer as well. The Torpedo system comes with this and you can mount it in front of the bottle instead of on top of the steerer. You can't however change out bottles unless you mount the cage facing backwards so it's best used with the Torpedo bottle.

Last edited by: AndresLD: Jul 28, 14 19:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about on the bottle?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a garmin glen alden designs makes a great product. Check out his website.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through this the other day. I have the new X-Lab Torpedo Mini mount and tried to use X-Labs universal computer mount. I hated their computer mount. It works fine if you never need to remove your computer but I need to take my 310XT off for the run in transition. I tried to remove it quickly and ended up almost ripping the entire quick release mount and rubber bands off the Xlab mount. I then went to my local tri store the next day and bought the Bar Fly TT mount. That thing is awesome. My 310 stays in securely, can be easily removed, and doesn't move the mount to remove it in a hurry. The Bar Fly is worth the money

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I just went through this the other day. I have the new X-Lab Torpedo Mini mount and tried to use X-Labs universal computer mount. I hated their computer mount. It works fine if you never need to remove your computer but I need to take my 310XT off for the run in transition. I tried to remove it quickly and ended up almost ripping the entire quick release mount and rubber bands off the Xlab mount. I then went to my local tri store the next day and bought the Bar Fly TT mount. That thing is awesome. My 310 stays in securely, can be easily removed, and doesn't move the mount to remove it in a hurry. The Bar Fly is worth the money

Ugh, I wish the BarFly fit something other than a round bar. My T4+ extensions have a grip at the end that nothing seems to fit.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put it at your finger tips (between the shifters). no looking down and not being able to see the road up ahead.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideally it should be integrated into the stem/bar... I believe some manufacturers are working on solutions.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cfmini32 wrote:
Hey was wondering where to put my bike computer in location to my aero bars- especially if I get an aero waterbottle? Thanks!

Here ya go, finally got it mounted the way I want it using a cheapo Profile Designs mount.

From the Front...

From above...

And from the side...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [threefire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
threefire wrote:
Ideally it should be integrated into the stem/bar... I believe some manufacturers are working on solutions.

I so don't understand that, I've seen it and even had mine mounted on the stem. When I'm down in the aerobars, it's practically invisible and downright dangerous to glance back at.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great reason to ditch the computer. I couldn't see mine on the stem and if I mounted it up front I would hit it when removing my bottle from the cage and it probably catches some clean air.. I'm a lot happier without it. Computers are for work.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed 100%. I have mine mounted up just behind my hands (between hands and bottle between arms). There it is right in my face.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I use a Torhans Aero 30 and a ~$15 mount.

Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
I used a dremel to cut a small piece of pvc down--fits right between my bars. then use the regular garmin 500 mount on the pvc pipe. black spray paint and a couple of holes for zip ties. bam. computer is right between my arms below my hands. still plenty of room for a water bottle.

I did the same, but with a section of bamboo. Nature's carbon fiber! Looks cool, too.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like mine where I can see it which is difficult with a between-the-aero-extensions bottle placement. I bought one of those headset top cap adaptor jobbys by Kingcage that let you place a bottle cage further back. You have to mount it backwards to get the bottle flat. Is a little bit higher than I would like, but I need to get around to chopping off some steerer tube. Point is, bottle between the arms, Garmin where I can see it. I would also be tempted to try the Garmin up right by the shifters too, if I went back to typical BTA bottle placement.

Sort of see it here. Using one of these below.

Ta, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the name of the mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only medium length extensions and bars close together, so I found that facing my BTA torpedo bottle backwards makes it easier to remove and then I can use a bracket to put my computer in front of my bottle right between my hands. Very easy to read at a glance and the road is still within my peripheral view. I also don;t want my head to have to tilt to read it, since I have a helmet with a tail.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better question, how did you get trainerroad on your phone?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bike- where to put bike computer? [EvilMonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good eye Evilmonkey..

It's only sorta kinda on my phone - still needs a PC within ANT+ range of my power meter, and you need to be in a wireless LAN for it to work so it's not portable, but I can control it from my iphone and the display is where I want it to be when I am in the AGONY LOCKER - that is, right under my drooping sweating head and not just on the tiny TV I have stuck in the wrong place on my wall. Solved my particular problem.

Here's how I did it, if it's of interest...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._(sorta).._P5054084/

Ta,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 30, 14 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp Quick View I think. Can be found on amazon or under the accessories section of the Zipp website.

Quote | Reply
speedfil z4 cage w/ garmin twist mount
http://invisciddesign.com/Z4.htm

cage has extra mounting locations for zip ties and easy bta setup

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the vision CF brace between the bars, found one for like 8 bucks shipped so why the heck not. On my old bike I made one out of aluminum.

Barfly TT mount mounted to that, with the 800 it just skims the bottle if there is one when you put it on, 910 tons of room but I no longer use that on the QR mount.

(best pic I had with the latest setup)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your wrist.... on the back of the wrist. Easily readable in the aerobars. And bonus: you get to keep it there for the run too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next