Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv
Quote | Reply
Hi people just after some advice please on some new aero bars to suit a shiv.

My current setup is Zipp Vuka bars which look like a birds nest. I'm really keen on the alpha X cause it integrates alot of the wires and cables.

Problem I have is I am in Australia and with the conversion rate, shipping, duty and taxes on top it comes in bang on $2000 aud ( with omega x brake) it's a lot of money to pay.

Curious as to what other options there are out there or if the alpha x is simply the best and is worth the coin.

Thanks
Last edited by: Brett runs: Jan 24, 17 2:48
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump anyone upgraded their shiv for a more integrated front end?

Thanks for the etap response but I like my di2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Bump anyone upgraded their shiv for a more integrated front end?

Thanks for the etap response but I like my di2
We've had lots of customers upgrade their Shiv to the Alpha X. Some of them have posted photos to our facebook walls, or sent them to us to post. Here's one: https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Hi people just after some advice please on some new aero bars to suit a shiv.

My current setup is Zipp Vuka bars which look like a birds nest. I'm really keen on the alpha X cause it integrates alot of the wires and cables.

Problem I have is I am in Australia and with the conversion rate, shipping, duty and taxes on top it comes in bang on $2000 aud ( with omega x brake) it's a lot of money to pay.

Curious as to what other options there are out there or if the alpha x is simply the best and is worth the coin.

Thanks

It is possible to really tidy up the front end of a bike without splashing 2 grand on a new set of bars. For my own example, I was able to source an older Felt Devox Bayonet bar and a 2nd hand Tririg Sigma XF stem, a couple of hundred quid (UK) all in. This enabled me to tidy the front end of my P3C right up, for a modest investment and some care over the cabling. These Devox bars are thought to be pretty fast too.. I have the non-UCI version with the sexy deep base bar.

Of course, the bars have to support your position. These worked very well for me because I needed really low pad stack.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tririg do you have any photos from another angle to see how it comes out the other end? That's exactly what I am after....

Why is all the good stuff in our sport so damn expensive.

Do you do payment plans? đŸ˜‹
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep this is definitely much cleaner than what I'm currently running Knighty. I'm not game to post pictures for fear of being completely shamed lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5846194#p5846194

And that cable curve could be even tighter without the 10mm fork spacer above the stem. But the wind doesn't really see those cables anyway.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks that does look great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sigma XF helped me greatly declutter my front end. I'm using it with the Vuka bars. I had to put the junction box inside the frame because it doesn't fit in the stem, but I'm super happy with the result.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey mate, I'm using the Alpha X with Zipp Alumina Evos on my Shiv and I really like the setup. If you also have the Omega, your front end will be cleaned up nicely.

Wait for Tririg to come out with a sale first or special bundle price before getting them. I received the items in Adelaide within 2 weeks of purchasing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a cropped shot of my shiv running the setup you're describing during a race. Send me a PM and remind me and I'll take some more detailed pics on the trainer.

Last edited by: StuckJB: Jan 31, 17 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StuckJB do you run that break on the front and back? Or just the front break?

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front and back but mostly because I found the stock break that came with the shiv to be a pain in the ass to adjust when swapping wheels. I wouldn't claim any actual benefit from running it on the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Im guessing based on your comment above these breaks are much easier to work on? I can't stand the stock breaks on my SWorks Shiv Tri. I was thinking of putting this on the front but didn't know what was recommended as far as rear goes. I know most of the stopping power comes from the front anyway.

Team Zoot Northeast
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they are easy to work on/adjust. Just a simple 2 mm, i think, hex to adjust for wheel width.

The one caveat I will throw in is that when I switched to Q rings I couldn't get to that screw on the drive side without taking off the chain ring. May not be an issue with regular round rings and certainly wasn't with a more open chain ring.

As far as stopping power goes I've never found there to be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a full shiv integrated set up.... you still looking it is the carbon one that comes with it. Super slick
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
I have a full shiv integrated set up.... you still looking it is the carbon one that comes with it. Super slick

The standard bars from the factory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The carbon ones not the cheap ones. These retail on specialized website for $575. I love mine these are a second set
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Rig alpha x bars or alternative for shiv [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah my bike came with those but were replaced with the zipp vuka carbon bars when the recall happened due to the bolt failures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yea that is what they did at first but now they fixed it. These have been fixed. They are post recall. You lose some adjustment but 95% of it is still there. If you liked them I would go back.
Quote Reply