Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Fort Worth 140.6
Quote | Reply
Did anyone do tri fort Worth either the half or full. OR does anyone know where I can find some reviews or talks on the forum where it was mentioned? Thanks so much.
Last edited by: Shoog: Nov 13, 17 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [Shoog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also interested. I was surprised to find so many threads with people posting from the FW area but no mention of this event.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the race even happen? I can't find a results page.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no link to the results on their otherwise fine website. A google for the results will take you to the results page

I recall there were about 60+ for the full and 300+ for the half. I think the price was about $500 for the full and $250 for the half. Not sure it's such a great alternative to WTC for that price, especially the half which is almost the same price as a WTC race. I hope it survives but unless the owners are willing to subsidize the race out of their own pockets (like HITS) then I can't see it making it long. No way 400-something registrations is paying the bills.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half. Overall it was a good race for their first year. Reminded me somewhat of Redman, if you've ever done that race. T1/T2 are in different locations but logistics are still pretty simple overall. Swim was decent, bike had ~1500 ft of climbing, run was a fair course. T2 in the convention center was nice. Weather was decent (almost crazy storms but they held off).

I'd do it again. Personally I don't see how they can sustain doing the full but Redman continues to do so (granted they just loop everything twice vs a separate full bike course).
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the half, too. I thought the event was really well run. Swim was fine, just a lake swim. Run up a boat ramp to T1, nothing crazy. My gripe with the bike course is a fair amount of chip seal and little shoulders in spots. For the most part, the cars were nice, but there were some I thought were getting a little close. Lots of climbing, my garmin showed 1800ft gain and 1900ft loss. The last 10 or so miles are pretty flat going into downtown, although there was a strong headwind on the last stretch that day. T2 is in the convention center, run in, look for your bag and go. Run course was relatively easy, pretty flat except for a couple little hills here and there.

Course - A- (really just for the chip seal)
Volunteers - A+ (for a small race they had wetsuit strippers and bike grabbers, volunteers were crazy awesome at every aid station)
Logistics - A (just b/c of the split transition, it was easy to navigate though - they are wanting to showcase downtown Ft Worth and there are no lakes down there)
Awards Ceremony - B (started late, didn't have all of the awards, first years bugs I'm sure they will get worked out)

They had bands and food for sale afterwards, which was nice. I would do it again without hesitation, just not sure it will fit into my schedule next year. The Mayor was at the start of the swim and at the finish. The city of Ft Worth I think is making an investment in this race. Hopefully they can sustain it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [newtridude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the half as well and thought it was a well run race, especially considering it was this group's first time with a long course event. I really hope this race survives - its nice to have a long course option that starts less than a mile from your house. I'm signing up for the full next year!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half as well. Logistics were easy. swim was in a small lake. bike was typical Texas rural bike ride - Getting to ride down North Mail thru the Stock Yards was great. Bike hand off was pretty cool, T2 in the convention center with air-conditioning, chairs and a real bathroom was also a plus. run was an out and back with some shade. Finish line was great with live bands and food & beer. the Mayor of Ft Worth is a big cycling advocate, I think she competed on a relay team. Lots of volunteers. Will do it again if schedule works.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [eclouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eclouis wrote:
I did the half as well. Logistics were easy. swim was in a small lake. bike was typical Texas rural bike ride - Getting to ride down North Mail thru the Stock Yards was great. Bike hand off was pretty cool, T2 in the convention center with air-conditioning, chairs and a real bathroom was also a plus. run was an out and back with some shade. Finish line was great with live bands and food & beer. the Mayor of Ft Worth is a big cycling advocate, I think she competed on a relay team. Lots of volunteers. Will do it again if schedule works.

I heard the race was a good one, and its on my radar. I heard some complaining about the cobblestones in downtown Ft. Worth. How were those and how long are you on them?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As everyone said, it was a great race, and well organized an supported. I'll do it again too. The cobblestones, as I recall, were 2 sections, each approximately 25 feet in length.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Cowtown, It's the Stock Yards, It's the history of Fort Worth. they have red brick in the intersections. All the streets use to be red brick. as far as length, not enough to complain about. Enjoy and Savor to moment. You will also read about the course not marked well. the half had like 8 turns, all marked with Police and Volunteers. Just look where your going.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fort worth [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read about the chip seal. I hate that stuff. Redman didn't have much of it, but a few parts of the road were a little rough. My only concern is a lot of chip seal. So can you please let me know how often you run into this. Because I hate hate hate vibrating to the point it's going to Crack me or my bike frame first. Actually I just hate chip seal and signing up for rough rides when I can put my money on another event not so terrible in chip seal. Thanks for your input
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a prima donna when it comes to chip seal. Hate the stuff.

It was not nearly as bad as some spots in TX. To me riding over the brick streets at the end of the ride were way worse than any chip seal on the route. If you've ever done the Austin 70.3 I remember the road conditions being worse than Ft Worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the half last year. I won't do it again. I'm not a huge complainer or troller, but I was out pretty far in the FOP on the bike, maybe podium for my AG. But the 140.6 swimmers still started about 45 minutes in front of us so you'd think there'd be an obvious distinction.

At the half cutoff, volunteers waved me through to the full course. I was looking for the turn but the bike course is not well marked (understandable for such a small non-WTC) race. But once they waived me through, I guess I stopped paying attention. I did about another 20 miles on the 140.6 course before some other participants saw my bib and told me I missed the turn-off. Obviously my fault for not knowing the course, I came in the day before and ran out of time navigating an expo and two transitions. But a.) I was specifically told to keep going on the 140.6 bike course and b.) none of the classic WTC markings that mile markers that might have stopped me earlier. It's no man's land for 95% of the course, no cones, signs or cops. I ended up doing 85 miles, my Strava friends were certainly baffled, so I just told them I needed some extra miles.

I saw (and then met post-race) about 3-4 other cyclists who did the same thing I did.

The expo was also nuts. I checked in on Friday. Super empty, poorly supported and the volunteers at the check-in table had no idea what was going on IMO.

The other things that blew my f*ing mind occurred at the pre-race meeting. The speaker took not one, but TWO, phone calls DURING his briefing. Like, literally stopped speaking to the audience to take a call. And then did it again. It was frankly embarrassing. I was so shocked, I left. Probably contributed to my mistake.

I'm not going to rip on the race. It's not supported anywhere near like WTC, the volunteers have very little knowledge of what's going on, no marshals, and hardly cheap. All somewhat understandable. Just expect it to feel like a long training day with minimal support and no frills. I hope it succeeds and improves but the numbers were pretty lean.

T2 is actually inside a small basketball arena, so that's kinda crazy. And when you turn back on the 140.6 bike course early, until you merge with the BOP of the 70.3 again, everyone thinks you are leading the race. So that helped dampen my anger.

I also thought the dozen very uneven brick intersections were unnecessary. If you have done IM Monterrey downtown the first year, it was as bad. I was obviously pissed off at that point, but I would think a good RD would recognize that as a hazard and somewhat sub-optimal for the final miles of a bike course. I guess if you're not competitive it wouldn't matter as much.

I would do it if you need a competition during a traditionally sparse window in the tri-calendar. But I personally won't do it again, 30 extra "surprise" bike miles you weren't planning on tends to sour you on an experience.
Last edited by: HankRearden: Oct 26, 17 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank y’all so much. I really appreciate all the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend did the half, I believe he won it, but he had nothing but great things to say. He lives in Ft Worth, so it's an easy event for him to get to, but he really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw where the price went from 400 bucks to 420 then 440 and now 460. That has been in 4 weeks. Are you kidding me? I can’t find the deadlines for price increases. 460 at this time means this thing could increase to exponentially take me out of interest and put me back to Redman or even splurge to Ironman Chattanooga. Emailed them with no reply. On the website, they have new dates however still have old dates blended in there from last year. Concerning to say the least. If they can’t update the site, what is the event going to be like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They must be reading my posts on here, it’s back to 450.00. Jk jk. But still does not show a timeline on when prices go up.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Fort Worth 140.6 [Shoog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this race happening in 2019? Nothing on website.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Fort Worth 140.6 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Is this race happening in 2019? Nothing on website.

It didn't happen in 2018 to the best of my recollection. I think the full was canceled a couple of months prior to the race because nobody registered for it. I think the half was canceled due to weather.

That stated, I think only like 300 people did the race in 2017 so not like it was setting the world on fire when it came to participation.

I'm pretty sure it's now a dead race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply