Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using...
Quote | Reply
 I guess this explains why they're out of stock... Hope Nick gets this taken care of soon...

Dear Sigma Customers,
You are receiving this email because you purchased a TriRig Sigma stem, and we are writing to you today to discuss a safety issue we have discovered with the Sigma stems.

We are going to issue brand new stems to all existing Sigma customers, free of charge. It is essential that you discontinue use of your current stems IMMEDIATELY to avoid injury. Replacement stems will be ready in the next 8-12 weeks, possibly sooner. If you cannot be without your bicycle during that time, you should IMMEDIATELY discontinue use of your current stem and use an alternate stem for the time being.

Please read this ENTIRE email, we need your response to the questions below in the next 15 days. Thank you!

Background on Safety
First of all, we want you to understand that we take product safety VERY seriously. All TriRig products are tested and certified under the most rigorous standards tests that exist for bicycles: the CPSC and CEN tests. However, despite our best efforts, potential safety issues arise. When that happens, we move to action immediately, which is exactly what has happened here. We've identified an issue, and we are taking action.

What is the issue?
Currently, stems are produced in a die cast mold using a casting aluminum alloy designated ADC12. We have discovered an issue where, in certain conditions, the cast parts can fatigue over time, causing a catastrophic fracture that results in failure of the stem. Recently, we received a report from a customer whose Sigma stem had failed, breaking clean through the 4mm-thick wall at the center of the stem, just aft of the top clamp part. We have received notice of two such failures to date.

What stems are affected?
All current Sigma stems are affected - both the Sigma Flat and the Sigma +35. We have only seen failures on the Sigma Flat, but we will also be replacing the Sigma 35's.

What have we done to address the issue?
In order to address this issue, all Sigmas going forward will be CNC machined from a solid block of aircraft-grade T6-7075 aluminum, which boasts much improved strength and fatigue properties compared to ADC12.
  • For customers of the Sigma Flat, the redesigned part is called the Sigma XF, and is pictured at the top of this email. We have also redesigned the Sigma XF with a wider overall profile, and a wider bolt stance, in order to provide greater grip on the handlebar while reducing the required torque on the handlebar clamp bolts. With less torque on the bolts, the Sigma XF experiences less overall stress, further reducing the loads on the part. The Sigma XF also has a few other changes. First is that the stem is now designed so that it can be flipped! One way it's flat, and has the same geometry as the original Sigma Flat. When flipped, the XF has an additional 20mm of stack and 10mm less of reach.
  • For customers of the Sigma +35, the replacement stem is called the Sigma N35, and will have the same overall shape and design as the original Sigma +35, but will also be CNC machined from T6-7075.
  • Most importantly, the new Sigma XF and Sigma N35 are stronger with improved reliability.

Is the new version of the Sigma heavier than the original?
The redesigned Sigma XF is approximately 45g heavier than the original Sigma Flat, owing to its wider overall design. To put it in perspective, that's about the weight of one nutrition gel packet.

The Sigma N35 is approximately the same weight as the original Sigma +35, since the size and shape are the same. T6-7075 is marginally heavier than the ADC12 casting metal, but it shouldn't affect the weight of the Sigma N35 by more than a few grams.

What happens next?
We are currently putting the new design through extensive fatigue and standards testing. Once the design is validated, we will proceed to mass production. Each one of you will receive a brand new Sigma, free of charge. We will be sending these out in the next 8-12 weeks, as soon as they're ready. And we will continue to update you on the production status in the mean time.
We need to be sure that the old Sigma stems are taken out of use IMMEDIATELY, so we need each stem to be shipped back to us. We will reimburse you for your shipping cost, so please provide proof of your shipping payment when the stem is returned.

Please send the stems to:

Nick Salazar, TriRig.com
3036 Greensborough Dr
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
USA

What if I no longer feel confident with the Sigma? I don't want to own the newly designed versions.
We completely understand. If you would prefer to return your stem for a complete refund, you may do so. We will waive the usual return period limits, and waive the restocking fees. This replacement program is no fault of yours, so you shouldn't have to be stuck with a product you no longer want.
To be clear, you can choose a replacement OR a refund, but not both. We need your decision via email in the next 15 days.
Also, we're very humbled and proud to say that the first customer to inform us of a stem failure ... he's still planning to ride the new Sigma when it's available. It's that kind of devotion to our products that makes our customers special, and keeps us really motivated as a company. We cherish each of our customers, and will continue to make the coolest and most reliable products we can dream up.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have them. We are working hard to take care of this issue quickly and with the least possible amount of inconvenience. Thanks for your patience.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/...53&id=be15168b22

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no. This is actually the second recall of the sigma -- I know, because I was one (of two, I think) of the people who suffered a catastrophic failure with the first model (ouch, that really hurt) but went with the replacement. Not thrilled to have to replace it, but certainly beats the alternative :-)

Aside from the obvious issues it's a pretty nice product.

--
When I channel my hate to productive, I don't find it hard to impress
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sucks he has to go through this, but it appears he's doing his best to make good.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope this isnt the type of blow that can take down a small company...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the downside of a small company working that is creating big time products. Nick makes some amazing products but no way that he can put in the R&D that Trek, Specialized, Zipp can do. Puts himself at risk of this sort of thing happening.

I have his Speed concept clamps and love them but I realize that I am riding with a product that was basically made in someones basement. (my assumption, likely not the actual setup).
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm super impressed with how he's handling it. He's making it right, already has the new products designed and in testing. I'll buy one when they're ready to go.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
but no way that he can put in the R&D that Trek, Specialized, Zipp can do. Puts himself at risk of this sort of thing happening.

And even big companies like Trek have had recalls of this nature (Trek steerer tube comes to mind)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually have the stem. First I'm hearing of it. It's a great product especially with Di2 for cleaning up the front end. Looks like they want them back immediately. Wonder if we can keep them until the new one is ready and assume the liability ourselves?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree this seems like a recall done right. cervelo and sram had big recalls recently and they handled them great. i think that's the measure of a company, when it performs well in a time of adversity.

my only question is the remedy: "all Sigmas going forward will be CNC machined from a solid block of aircraft-grade T6-7075 aluminum, which boasts much improved strength and fatigue properties compared to ADC12."

it would have thought a forged stem would have better fatigue properties than a stem machined out of billet. unless that billet was first smacked by a forging press.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 16, 14 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will, but forging tooling requires a fairly large investment while CNC doesn't. The per piece cost of a forged part is much cheaper but you'll need to figure out the point at which the tooling pays off. A fully CNC'd stem is going to be much, much more expensive than a cast one. I wonder how the MSRP will go up.
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked him the same question. You can keep the old stem but you have to send it back before you can receive the redesigned one.
I'm going to ride it indoors on the trainer. I have no choice since my steerer tube is cut too low to use a standard stem now...

blackey wrote:
I actually have the stem. First I'm hearing of it. It's a great product especially with Di2 for cleaning up the front end. Looks like they want them back immediately. Wonder if we can keep them until the new one is ready and assume the liability ourselves?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't think a forging die would cost that much. especially if the die wasn't that precise. the CNC program, that's kinda pricey, i would think. upon reflection, however, the fact that it's in T6 condition probably obviates the need for the billet to be forged.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forging tooling definitely costs a significant amount more than a CNC program (at least in my experience. I'm only a few years out of college and have only worked at one job so it might not always be the case.) It also takes a long time to make tooling compared to CNC which still might need some special fixturing. However, the Sigma is lucky in the fact that it could be 2D forged unlike most other stems which need to be 3D forged to create the hollow center section. I'd still imagine that the number of stems sold is really low and it would take a significant amount of time to break even on tooling.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if the die wasn't that precise". I assume that they would need it to be decently precise if they don't want to make a 300g stem.

T6 just describes the way that the aluminum is heat treated, it doesn't necessarily mean that's it's not from a forged blank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is also getting a bit wider, which might help?

Slowman wrote:
i agree this seems like a recall done right. cervelo and sram had big recalls recently and they handled them great. i think that's the measure of a company, when it performs well in a time of adversity.

my only question is the remedy: "all Sigmas going forward will be CNC machined from a solid block of aircraft-grade T6-7075 aluminum, which boasts much improved strength and fatigue properties compared to ADC12."

it would have thought a forged stem would have better fatigue properties than a stem machined out of billet. unless that billet was first smacked by a forging press.

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where did you see that you need to return the current stem to receive a new one? for the first recall, it was only a matter of waiting for a new stem to be shipped
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's in the original email from TriRig:

Quote:
We need to be sure that the old Sigma stems are taken out of useIMMEDIATELY, so we need each stem to be shipped back to us. We will reimburse you for your shipping cost, so please provide proof of your shipping payment when the stem is returned.

Please send the stems to:

Nick Salazar, TriRig.com
3036 Greensborough Dr
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
USA

cyfac06 wrote:
where did you see that you need to return the current stem to receive a new one? for the first recall, it was only a matter of waiting for a new stem to be shipped
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm not sure what you mean by "if the die wasn't that precise"."

the more precise you make the forging die the less you have to machine. but you still get the benefits of grain size/flow/alignment of the forging process.

back in the early and mid 1990s we went through a period where cranksets were machined rather than forged. and we had a lot of crank failures. it's not that machining cranks was bad, rather that starting with a forging and using machining as a finish process (machining in the pedal eye and other threaded holes, etc.) seemed to overtake the idea of cranks just machined out of a hunk of aluminum. the more dialed in the forging mold, the less you'd have to hog out of the forging through machining.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It is also getting a bit wider, which might help?"

i'm sure it does and it would. all the tririg stuff is conceptually stunning. i would imagine every now and then every company runs afoul of the problem in the bike business: the aerodynamic, mechanical and structural elements of bikes are so complex they defy mathematics. predicting what happens to a bicycle during the process of riding it is only slightly easier than predicting cloud patterns. that's why i - conservative and a bit of a coward by nature - am usually in favor of incrementalism when "fixing" what i don't like about a bike through the introduction of a new product.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to be rude, I only see them saying the original was a die cast aluminum part, not a forging. Cast is just a molded part and from my experience as a machinist is never 100% reliable. To move from cast aluminum to 6065 is a huge step up in my opinion and would remove any worries in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Dan, from reading the recall it appears that the defect is in the casting process. Most probably due to microvoids/porosity during the casting process. It wouldn't take many voids or exclusions to dramatically reduce the absolute strength or fatigue life in a component.

As an engineer I would not have used a casting process for a stem OR used ADC12 as a material for a part like this. We cast with ADC12 and use it for cases and enclosures which don't undergo any real loading stresses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The redesigned Sigma XF is approximately 45g heavier than the original Sigma Flat, owing to its wider overall design. To put it in perspective, that's about the weight of one nutrition gel packet.

Exactly how much did the first one weigh that +45g is considered insignificant?
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
Exactly how much did the first one weigh that +45g is considered insignificant?

It is heavy. It is not a weight weenie part!

Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't criticizing, legitimately curious!
Quote Reply
Re: TriRig Sigma Recall? Immediately stop using... [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
I wasn't criticizing, legitimately curious!

Oh, didn't take it as such. Just legitimately letting you know it is heavy!

Maybe I will weigh one Weds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one of the persons that experienced a failure (V2), I can tell you that Nick is a stand up guy and has done this right. I have compassion for small operations/start-ups and harbor no resentment largely due to the fact that there was no shirking here whatsoever. I am glad the message was delivered in such a strong, professional, and timely manner given the potential consequences. I hope they get to the other side of this one intact and I am sure they will only be the better for it bringing their innovation to the market.
Quote Reply

Prev Next