Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly
Quote | Reply
There was a time when all of the cycling events here in Philly were well-advertised. The annual Bike-A-thon to Atlantic City and the MS150 to Ocean City were great events to participate in. I've done them both for close to 11 years. Then, there's what started as the Core States Bike Race, but is now the Wells Fargo Bike Race. But as of the past 5 years or so, these events are so under advertised, it's ridiculous. Now,I find out that there's actually a Triathlon here in Philly.Any of you ever compete in the TriRock? I, literally, found it in a search for Tri/TT bike shops here in the city. For an event that has been going on for 11 years,I never knew about it. Why so little advertising?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [Phildog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dog, I have done the phlytri four times, there are a lot of different thoughts on this race. I enjoy it, technical course, usually heats up pretty good on the run and the swim is downstream. The only thing that I cannot get over is how inflated the price has become in the last couple years....almost 200$ for an OLY. But if money is not an issue than this is a don't miss in your back yard.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [olneykid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$200??? That sounds a little steep to me. Anyways, they've been paving a lot of the streets where the races usually pass through. Winter tore our streets apart. I'll keep an eye on the races here. I'm gonna train like hell this year. I'd like to do some TT's to help with training. Next year, I may give it a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year. Only my third tri, so not a huge data set to compare to. I had a great time. I had just completed Columbia and the swim had been canceled, so I was desperate to get in the water after all the training.

I thought it was very well run especially for a large race (I did the Oly). All legs were good; bike surprisingly hilly at times, but very scenic. I agree that it is pricey, but I feel like all these races are getting there. I drove up from DC, so I had to include a hotel as well.

The only knock I can think of was the logistics of the swim. Since it is point to point, we had to board buses to get there. All very clear, and we got to take a bag. Once we got there, they took the bags right away, and we were up there waiting for quite some time. Seemed pointless to bring a bag of stuff. I think that is a pretty small quibble.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, glad you had a good time. Knowing the streets here, I'm wondering if a road bike with clip-ons would be the best thing. There's a lot of hills here, depending on the course. Did you ride an actual Tri bike? Also, did they have the athletes swim the Schuykill river? Will you be participating in any events here this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a road bike with clip on bars. There were some steep climbs, lots of tight turns and some hairy spots where I felt thankful for the handling; however, I was only on a road bike because I hadn't pulled the trigger on a tri bike. Still new to the sport. I just bought a Speed Concept, and were I to do the race again, I would ride it for sure. But that is certainly in part to justify buying it and not race strategy. I feel like I would make up for the handling advantage with aero on the open parts and saving legs with a tri fit--or at least that's what everyone tells me...;)

Yes, we swam in the Schuykill. I liked the point to point swim a lot. Of course, I was in a wetsuit and swimming downstream, so there was that.

The only event I would do up there would be this race, and I am unlikely to be able to fit it on the calendar or in the budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't blame you. That's a bit much to pay to compete. A Speed Concept??? I saw a woman riding one on the Parkway. Looked REALLY aero. Just awesome looking. Thanks for the chat and good luck with future races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not advertised... are you serious?
TriRock Philly is one of the biggest and most advertised races in the region, if not the country. There were about 4000 people at the race last year and I think it's grown every year.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I dont ever remember seeing any advertisements for it in the media. Thats not to say they never did or do. But it appears to be a big event. So why isnt it advertised more? Where is it advertised here in Philly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on their email list, so I'm constantly getting email marketing. The TriRock series is probably marketed more nationwide vs. locally. So, you're not going to see flyers at local bike shops and YMCA, but more so in larger publications. It is a Competitor Group event, so I'm sure it's all over their stuff.

Also, FWIW, it's really the only urban tri in Philly, so it's got a bit of a monopoly on that. When you type into Google, "Philadelphia Triathlon" it is the first result and is kind of synonymous with those 2 words. If someone says Philly Tri or Philadelphia Triathlon, this is definitely the race they mean.

Quote Reply
Re: Tri-Rock Triathlon in Philly [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok. I understand. It helps to be "looking" for cycling events. Im sure that helps. Itdbe nice to see a commercial or five. Heck, even the newspapers. Ill get on their email list. Thanks for the data!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is the opposite of the attitude most people have toward advertising. Most people are tired of it because it's an over-saturated market!

Quote Reply