Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question.
Quote | Reply
Hi guys.Here is two position of junction box. How much i will lose watts moving junction box forward of basebar raiser, instead of keep it on stem cover? In this case it look so clean.... But i'm debating is it worth?

Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question. [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight mod of stem cover dependent on stem rise/length and it can either be put on spacer (35mm or greater) or on cover itself;completely out of the air. Here is both versions of different builds. A little dremel work on cover to let wires pass.

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question. [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prob doesn’t make too much diff aero wise, but the ocd in me wouldn’t want it forward. I think they look better on the stem!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from Trek website:

"The Speed Concept will accept both Dura Ace and Ultegra Di2. The battery is hidden in the seatpost with a special mount. And the junction box can be hidden inside the stem cover."

Does it mean i can move junction box and wires under stem cover, so it will be not visible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe depending on the cover (stem size), I found that removing the cover on some stems is a PIA and requires loosening the base bars to get it on and off for the tight tolerances. So access for charging, charge status, adjusting RD, changing mode, and or resetting may not be convenient. Personally I would rather have it easily accessible but out of the wind fwiw.
Last edited by: ktm520: Mar 11, 18 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After Carl worked so hard a a clean front end you shouldn't hang the Blip box on the bar there. The true anal retentive would put it inside the stem or maybe you could extend the wire and put it inside the frame or under the seat I am looking at making a bracket and attaching it to the very back of the extension or riser so it sits in the low pressure area.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
After Carl worked so hard a a clean front end you shouldn't hang the Blip box on the bar there. The true anal retentive would put it inside the stem or maybe you could extend the wire and put it inside the frame or under the seat I am looking at making a bracket and attaching it to the very back of the extension or riser so it sits in the low pressure area.

No way the blip box fits in the stem cover. It's surface area is twice the size of the Di2 junction box.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

No way the blip box fits in the stem cover. It's surface area is twice the size of the Di2 junction box.

i received answer from trek today, does it mean i can hide junction box inside stem?

my question was:

“According to Trek website: "the junction box can be hidden inside the stem cover".
-Is it about ultegra R8050 junction box or dura-ace 9050 junction box?
Can Low-Near steam cover fit junction box? If no, which stem covers may it fit?”

Answer:
“Hello, the junction box is not specific to Ultegra or Dura Ace. It is simply the SM-EW90-B junction box, which is the same junction box used regardless of if you are using Ultegra or Dura Ace. This fits inside all of the stems, regardless of the stem size.”
Nick @ Trek from Trek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stem cover comes with little cutouts on the inside that are made to drill out for DI2. If I were you I would do what you have in your first picture, but route the cables through small holes drilled into the stem cover. If you can get it to fit inside the stem cover that would be ideal, but not sure how well it will fit. If you can get it inside, just sand down the top of the stem cover a little so that you can easily remove it without unbolting the base-bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you could modify the stem cover to integrate this in? It is not that big, and it is designed to be either frame mounted or bar-end mounted.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I have built several of these bikes for different folks and the issue with placement inside the cover is twofold; 1. not all covers are created equal (space) and 2. ease or lack thereof of access. Some covers can be removed with not much fuss, but others can be quite challenging with tolerances (need to loosen basebar) and fragile screws making resetting, changing modes, battery state/charging, changing RD position... a PIA.

Your choice. I have not had a chance to use the new barend junction A and that may be a viable option to possibly integrate into cover top for access yet be "hidden".
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept di2/etap junction box position question. [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah this dura ace junction box might be good idea. I need only some how to drill hole into stem cover.
Does any one know, is this junction box ew-rs910 compatible with Ultegra R8050 ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It is compatible with all 11 speed versions of Di2. I am using it with my R8050 system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's the one, the only issue will be what stem you have as the depth (space underneath) will vary and as exxxviii said it will work.
Quote Reply