Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play
Quote | Reply
Just tried my race wheels out in my new speed concept and there is a bit of play in them. I initially thought maybe I need to adjust the hubs, but I took them out and they seem just fine. But when I have them on the bike you can "wiggle" the wheel a bit even with the quick release tightened down.

Any thoughts on what I should check? If is both the front and rear wheel.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's normal. The clamp force from the quick release changes the pre-load on the hub.
Depending on the hub model you have, you can adjust the hub while it is clamped in the bike.

If you cannot, then it's just trial and error adjusting the hub outside of the bike. Tighten it a bit, clamp in in the bike, and check for play.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what quick release you have. I had a similar problem with the really light weight QR. when I changed to a beefier QR, problem solved.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried both the stock speed concept skewer and the stainless steel Zipp skewer. Felt the same with both. I tried tightening it as tight as I could too. No difference in the wiggle feel.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The added leverage of the wheel merely shows up the play.
Adjust the hub.

Put wheel on bike.
Loosen small grub screw that locks the adjusting collar.
Rotate the collar clockwise until there is just the tiniest bit of play.
Tighten the grub screw back up.
Remove wheel and check for bearing smoothness.

If it feels rough o remove the play, replace the bearings.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
That's normal. The clamp force from the quick release changes the pre-load on the hub.
Depending on the hub model you have, you can adjust the hub while it is clamped in the bike.

If you cannot, then it's just trial and error adjusting the hub outside of the bike. Tighten it a bit, clamp in in the bike, and check for play.

Hubs like the Zipp have no difference with skewer tightness as the preload is set by the collar, the skewer clamps to solid axle.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Zipp has also stated that it is normal for its wheels to have a -little- bit of play when mounted in the bike, and that the weight of the rider basically nullifies it.
Maybe Rappstar can clarify..

Ah, from here:

http://www.zipp.com/...1qhzkd5ppoowvugg7et4

Pre-loading bearings reduces the amount of play felt in wheel. Play is simply the clearance between bearing balls and bearing races. With most bearings, including Zipp’s, you want to feel some play because it means that the ball is free to move into the optimal location of the races once rider weight is applied. However, excessive play can lead to premature bearing wear. One feature of the 88 and 188 model hubs is that the user can adjust the bearing preload to attain the amount of play desired.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 26, 17 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: Trek SC Zipp 808 Rear Wheel Play [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read that myself. However, my concern comes after my ride. It felt as if I couldn't get on top of the wheels in a sense. It felt like when I was going in a straight line the bike wanted to shift left or right all the time. When I grab the wheel while it is secured in the bike, I can wiggle it a bit. None of my other wheels feel this way or have this much wiggle. Also, the zipps do not feel like that in my other bike either.

Really trying to isolate what could be happening.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should add, these are older ten speed Zipps that I have put an Edco Monoblock 11 speed cassette on. The speed concept has Ultegra di2 8070 on it (eleven speed).

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say the zipps don't make your other bikes feel the same, so maybe it is not the zipps causing your SC to feel that way.

Interestingly, I have a gen 1 SC9, and there was one period of time about a year ago that my bike felt like it kept wanting to sort of shift side to side, almost like a bump to the left, then a bump to the right, etc.
What it ended up being was that my front integrated stem assembly had come loose. Had to remove the stem cover, tighten down all the bolts that hold the stem to the head tube, etc. Problem solved. Maybe check the front end on your SC. Also see if cranks have play in them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting on the stem area comment. I have noticed it sounds like there is something in there making noise when I hit bumps. Everything feels tight when I grab it, and I just assumed it was the wires slapping the carbon bars/extensions.

Also, yesterdays ride was the first time I felt the bike not feeling stable. It happened to be the first time I tried the Zipps on the speed concept. Every other ride I had ridden the stock wheels. Hence why my brain went to the wheels being the source of the issue. Maybe the stem area came loose as the bike is brand new and maybe the mechanic at the shop did not do a good job of getting the front end all tight.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, check that out. Last thing you want to do is have something snap there and do a face plant! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am packing both bikes and two sets of wheels in the car to do a round robin test and rule out the wheels.

And then dig into the front end a bit also on the speed concept... Seems like this should have been nailed down coming from the shop brand new, but I guess that is too much to ask.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did some more investigation and I am coming to the conclusion the Zipp 808 and the Trek SC do not play nice with each other.

When I have the Zipp 808 rear out of the bike, everything seems exactly as it should. Just a slight bit of "looseness" in the hub. I do notice the seat for the frame on the non drive side is significantly smaller than the corresponding part on other wheels I have.

Put the Zipp 808 in the frame and tighten it as tight as I can with either the Zipp skewer or the Bontrager skewer and if I grab the wheel at the tire I can rock it back and forth a bit. I think this is what is causing the bike to feel unsettled.

When I try the same with my Bontrager Aura 5 it is different. Out of the bike, it feels the same as the zipp with just ever so little "looseness" of the hub. In the bike, it is rock solid. If you grab the top of the tire you cannot rock it at all. The bike tracks straight and confident with this wheel in.

So, has anybody else noticed that some wheels don't feel like they ever really secure into the Trek SC frame?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So did some more investigation and I am coming to the conclusion the Zipp 808 and the Trek SC do not play nice with each other.

When I have the Zipp 808 rear out of the bike, everything seems exactly as it should. Just a slight bit of "looseness" in the hub. I do notice the seat for the frame on the non drive side is significantly smaller than the corresponding part on other wheels I have.

Put the Zipp 808 in the frame and tighten it as tight as I can with either the Zipp skewer or the Bontrager skewer and if I grab the wheel at the tire I can rock it back and forth a bit. I think this is what is causing the bike to feel unsettled.

When I try the same with my Bontrager Aura 5 it is different. Out of the bike, it feels the same as the zipp with just ever so little "looseness" of the hub. In the bike, it is rock solid. If you grab the top of the tire you cannot rock it at all. The bike tracks straight and confident with this wheel in.

So, has anybody else noticed that some wheels don't feel like they ever really secure into the Trek SC frame?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but unless your zipp hubs are -really- loose, I don't think it would cause your issues. Plus, even though Zipp may not recommend it, you can always tighten up the hub end cap to take out all the play in the hub, then try and see if you still feel the problem.
My Super9 disc wheel has play in it when in the frame. As per our earlier posts above, Zipp says this is normal, and I don't notice it while riding.
Try taking the play out of the hub as an experiment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I tighten it up any more, it will not spin. Not to mention when it is secured in my old school aluminum P2, it magically does not allow you to wobble it at all. So, I am reluctant to try and tighten the hub on the wheel when the wheel works excellent in another frame.

Ryan
Quote Reply