Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip
Quote | Reply
My friend came over today with his bike....

He has been having issues with the saddle tilt slip during his rides.

Two questions.... Any of you Madone 9 series owners seeing similar issues??? Advice on how to fix??

The saddle rails are Ti not carbon BTW.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you torquing to the correct spec or just guessing by feel?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Are you torquing to the correct spec or just guessing by feel?

Correct spec....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using some carbon paste on the mating surfaces ?

LG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed the saddle on my 9.2 Madone sliding back. I was using the little torque wrench that came with the bike to tighten the saddle. I believe it clicks at 5nm. I brought the bike back to my LBS and was told to tighten 10 to 12nm. I've only ridden it once since, but it seems to be holding.

(Edit) This site calls for 14/16nm.
http://villagecycle.com/...619.htm#.WPSnj5E8Kf0
Last edited by: kkerns: Apr 17, 17 4:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not obvious to everyone, and maybe you're dialed on this but for everyone else:

saddle fore-aft and saddle tilt are independent adjustments on the new Madone...whereas the similar looking saddle clamps on the Emonda, Domane, previous Madone do double duty (that single bolt from the side fixes both fore-aft and tilt).

so just to be clear, if you're having tilt slippage, make sure you're actually tightening the vertical bolt at the rear of the post to fix this...not the larger horizontal bolt coming in from the side which is simply fixing fore-aft.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!!! I bet that's the issue....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you have the correct clamp. I've had the same problem. Great bike. But Trek made the seat clamp, seat post length and setback too complicated on this bike in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [hopperagent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hopperagent wrote:
Make sure you have the correct clamp. I've had the same problem. Great bike. But Trek made the seat clamp, seat post length and setback too complicated on this bike in my opinion.

Agree with this point re make sure you have the correct clamps. I had a saddle with alloy rails and had no problems, but they had to warranty the saddle (Bontrager Serrano) due to creaking in the shell and replaced it with one with carbon rails and new clamp ears for the oval carbon rails. The new ears didn't sit tight in the seat clamp and post or completely flush on the oval saddle rails when I installed the new saddle and it seemed a little "loose", but they were labeled as the correct part so I torqued to specs and hoped for the best. I had saddle tilt slippage issues (saddle would not slide for or aft, but I had tilt slippage). I went back to the Trek shop and they realized they gave me saddle ear clamps for the prior model Madone, and ordered me some for the 9 series (the older clamp ears were the only ones I could find on the Trek website, which probably contributed to how the wrong part was originally ordered). The new 9 series clamp ears now fit flush and tight within the seat clamp and post and I have no slippage at all (of note as well is the torque specs on the new ears are much lower than the older clamp ears).
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [kkerns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkerns wrote:
I noticed the saddle on my 9.2 Madone sliding back. I was using the little torque wrench that came with the bike to tighten the saddle. I believe it clicks at 5nm. I brought the bike back to my LBS and was told to tighten 10 to 12nm. I've only ridden it once since, but it seems to be holding.

(Edit) This site calls for 14/16nm.
http://villagecycle.com/...619.htm#.WPSnj5E8Kf0

Did you get this resolved? Having an issue with my saddle sliding rearward (bike is brand new). I tightened to spec but saddle keeps moving rearward at some point on my rides.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trek MADONE 9.9 saddle clamp slip [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it wasn't what I thought it was. I was hearing a slight creaking noise and took the bike in to my LBS. The owner of the store looked at it and we were able to recreate the noise. We found that the left rail of the saddle was not completely seated in the cradle. It was so slight that we could hardly see it. So while I held the rails in place, he put the upper part of the clamp on and we tightened it down. Noise went away, and it hasn't slid back.
Quote Reply