Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack)
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I am an aging, long time runner in my 40's and interested in a treadmill to supplement my outdoor running. About me: 5'5, 120 lbs, marathoner, do half IM, IM races, looking to do ~20-25 miles/week on the treadmill. My main criteria are (in order of importance):

-reduce impact on my joints
-easy to do intervals (hills or speed)
-reasonably priced
-durable/hassle free for at least 5 years aside from normal wear & tear
-ability to do decline grade, but not a must have (training for Boston Marathon)

I've done some research and what I'm gathering is that there's 3 tiers (Tier 1: Woodway ($5000+), Tier 2: Landice L7, Matrix, Bodyguard T75 ($3000-$4000), and Tier 3: Nordictrack 1750/2450). I've tried out the Landice and Matrix and like them but doesn't have the decline grade like the Bodyguard T75. I wrote off tier 1 for price, now down to the other tiers. When I talked to the local treadmill store, they position the Nordictrack as having inconsistent/low quality machines for the masses. I've read a lot of reviews and it's not clear what's fact vs fiction. The most compelling parts of Nordictrack are pricing and decline grade. For the price of a Tier 2 machine, I can get 2 Nordictracks if the first breaks down so the difference is significant enough for me to think about it.

Does anyone have experience with any of these treadmills or faced a similar situation before to shed some light on how to approach this? I need help! Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [samchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also throw True into the mix. I've had a PS100 for a bit over two years, and it's a tank, spins up to speed nice and quick, and doesn't have any of the 'gimicky' things like built in speakers, fans, or a screen with courses and extra unneeded info.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [samchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Landice L7 about 5 years ago. It's the only treadmill I've ever owned so I cannot compare it to the others listed. I am a heavy treadmill user with small kids at home oftentimes logging 5-6 runs per week on the treadmill, and do not know how many thousands of hours and miles I have on that thing. It has been bulletproof. I've had it looked it for routine maintenance twice in those five years where it was lubricated, but otherwise have not had a single issue with it. It has been fantastic, and I cannot recommend the Landice highly enough based on my experience. It does not have a decline function as you mention, but it does have incline up to 12.0 which I use frequently for hill repeats and workouts (living in FL, it's the only running hill work I can get).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to Walter above, I've used a Landice L7 for over 10 years, probably averaging 20 miles a week between my spouse and me. Never done any maintenance apart from wiping it down after every run with anti-bacterial wipes. Never any issues. Would highly endorse. Solid deck, consistent motor and reliable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a NordicTrack c1550 and it has been rock solid. A really nice treadmill with a large deck and decent "softness" underfoot. Doesn't beat me up at all.

I have done 2 hour runs on it and it hasn't batted an eye.

The decline setting isn't as useful as it might be, at least to me, since it seems to limit itself to 7:30/mi pace when in any decline setting. (If you are going faster than that, and hit one of the negative incline buttons it just sets itself to 8mph)

Other than that I have zero complaints and it has been rock solid for 3+ years at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned two NordicTracks in total. I liked each, never had a problem with either. I chose them because they had a bunch of buttons that let you move directly to a certain speed, which I wanted for interval training. I think most treadmills do not have this feature, but it was important to me.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
L-7 . Many threads on this topic with landice ftw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a Landice L7. It was a tank. No frills with it, but just a workhorse. Never had any issues with it at all. I've heard their customer service is really good, but I never had to call them. I ended up having to get rid of it due to a move.

I just recently purchased a refurbed Matrix T7Xe. Also a tank, literally as it weighs nearly 500 pounds. Goes up to 15 MPH pretty fast. Nice solid deck with a slight give to it. No decline. It's nice and would rec.

Things to consider. The Matrix has a few electronics that the Landice doesn't - more things to break in the future.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy the Landice L7.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [JTPATE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTPATE wrote:
I had a Landice L7. It was a tank. No frills with it, but just a workhorse. Never had any issues with it at all. I've heard their customer service is really good, but I never had to call them. I ended up having to get rid of it due to a move.

I just recently purchased a refurbed Matrix T7Xe. Also a tank, literally as it weighs nearly 500 pounds. Goes up to 15 MPH pretty fast. Nice solid deck with a slight give to it. No decline. It's nice and would rec.

Things to consider. The Matrix has a few electronics that the Landice doesn't - more things to break in the future.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy the Landice L7.

I have a Landice and would buy another one tomorrow. As others have said it is a workhorse and just goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first treadmill was a bottom dollar Sam's Club special. I knew what I was buying...no reason to drop major coin on something that may or may not get a lot of use. Did three years on it, decided it was getting enough use to get an upgrade to something that I could do longer runs on without feeling like I had been in a car wreck.

I bought a Norditrack 1750 last spring on sale. Didn't spend much time on it until this fall when it seemed like every long run was going to be in rain or fog. Been putting a combined 30 miles on it consistently for 8-9 weeks between two of us. I've done runs up to 17 miles on it and felt better afterwards than on my previous bottom dollar treadmill. No issues with it so far. At about 90 minutes the screen blips off and then on once. Just once, though. Must be something in the software to prevent screen burn in.

I'd recommend it. Maybe I'll go tier 2 when this one dies or I move again. It will convey with the house, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello samchi and All,

Nordic Track for a few years .... lots of electronic problems but most of the basics work OK .... Consumers Magazine rated it as softest landing zone at the time.

I would spend more for a better treadmill if I had it to do over.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nordiktrack C1750 because it was so ridiculously priced that I couldn't justify spending more at the time.

Rock solid and no issues. Does what I need it to and that's all. Don't use iFit or any other features. For long runs will sometimes stream TdF or spring classic via YouTube on the integrated browser.

Zero complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of research on treadmills a few years back but ended up with an elliptical instead partly because that's what my wife wanted. Just a few thoughts and observations.

Look for a manufacturer that supports the product years after the sale. Ask the seller if they can still get parts for the stuff that is 15-20 years old. Companies like True, Precor, Spirit and Landice can be repaired for years after the sale. Stuff like Nordictrack, maybe, maybe not. I know several of those that are sitting around broken down after a year or two and no parts are available.

If at all possible run on it before you buy it. I don't mean lightly jog, I mean put it through it's paces. I actually liked a Bodyguard until I ran on it. It just didn't fit me and the belt was jerky. By that I mean that at higher speeds, think 8+ MPH, whenever my feet would hit the belt it wouldn't feel smooth. The Spirits and Precors just felt better to me. That particular shop sold a lot of the Bodyguard with no complaints so it's important that it's right for you and the only way to know that is by running on it for at least 5-10 minutes.

Make sure you're comfortable with the shop people. I really liked the True but the shop staff sucked and were arrogant. The shop that had the Precors wanted me to buy the product that they were pushing, not the one that I liked. The shop we bought from has decent staff and that translated to good service after the sale.

If I would have gotten a TM I would have driven farther from home to get a Precor at a good shop, but that was just my preference.

Also, don't forget about Spirit. They seemed to have some good stuff and have been around for awhile. That shop had been servicing some that were about 20 years old if I remember right.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd also throw True into the mix. I've had a PS100 for a bit over two years, and it's a tank, spins up to speed nice and quick, and doesn't have any of the 'gimicky' things like built in speakers, fans, or a screen with courses and extra unneeded info.

I bought a PS100 last year. I love it. It's really solid and I haven't had a single issue with it. It's a good compromise between treadmills like Nordictrack and Landice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a NordicTrack Commercial 1750 in November. It is the first treadmill that I have purchased. Both the girl and I use it and love it. I am about 60 pounds heaver than you and it is very soft. The push button pace really makes it easy to do interval work.
I was able to find two coupons on retailmenot (IIRC) that saved me 20% and for a free mat. I used the savings to get the "white glove" service. It was well worth having the service since it took him over 3 hours to put it together. The major downside was it took a couple weeks longer to get it delivered than they told me originally. I think it had to do with time of year and availability of units but it was still very frustrating since part of the reason we got it was so the girl could train before work for 50K in early January.
Since I have only had it for a couple months I cannot tell you how it will hold up long term but so far really enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a used Landice about 7 years ago and put it through the ringer. My wife walks on it regularly and I do about 30% of my run training on it, including long tempo runs in the 6-6:30 pace and some shorter faster intervals at the 12 MPH level. So far, no mechanical issues or complaints. We had a treadmill mechanic come out once to fine-tune the belt after about 4 years, but otherwise maintenance free.

I'd buy another one. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a Matrix T50....First impressions are very strong. Comes with a great warranty, etc.... I highly recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a ProForm 7500 pro which I believe is the same as a Nordictrack only branded differently (same company Icon health)
It has suspension which makes running on it much easier on the body than outside, individual buttons for each speed/grade which is fantastic for intervals.
Had it for 2 years, heavy use all winter and when its really hot, zero issues.
I paid $1,200 for it. At this price I could replace it a few times before I get to the price point of some of the other options mentioned here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Nordictrack C900 5-6 years ago and have had no problems with it. It has been used approximately 2 times a week since then and even been subjected to an 4 hour run without any issues at all. It does squeak though - might be able to lube it but haven't gotten around to fix it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used woodway hands down look on craigslist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landice has my vote. Many miles on my L7 without an issue. Also, for what it's worth the owners are great people that support the community, give back, and make their treadmills in this great country.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Feb 3, 17 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for providing your experience here. I contacted Nordictrack to see if any of their models (including the Proform Boston Marathon 3.0 and 4.0 models) have a difference in the top decline speed and the tech said that all of their treadmills have this speed limit of 7:30min/mile when set to decline grade for liability reasons. I guess it's good for safety but too bad for training! How have you felt after doing the 3% at 7:30min/mile? Is it much of a workout?

Also curious in your purchasing decision, did you try other treadmills and if so how different they felt to you? Thanks!

Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm curious, when you were making the purchasing decision, did you try other treadmills (like Landice and others) and if so how different did they feel to you compared to the Nordictrack? Thanks!

Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill recommendations (BodyGuard T75, Landice L7, Matrix, Nordictrack) [feedthereed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm curious, when you were making the purchasing decision, did you try other treadmills (like Landice and others) and if so how different did they feel to you compared to the Nordictrack? Thanks!

Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
samchi wrote:
Thanks for providing your experience here. I contacted Nordictrack to see if any of their models (including the Proform Boston Marathon 3.0 and 4.0 models) have a difference in the top decline speed and the tech said that all of their treadmills have this speed limit of 7:30min/mile when set to decline grade for liability reasons. I guess it's good for safety but too bad for training! How have you felt after doing the 3% at 7:30min/mile? Is it much of a workout?

Also curious in your purchasing decision, did you try other treadmills and if so how different they felt to you? Thanks!

Sam

I've had a ProForm for about 4 years now (also a marathoner) and haven't had any issues so I would recommend especially for the price. I especially like the iFit capabilities so I can have different Google Maps routes but that's also where the decline function can be jarring the first time or you're not paying attention.

Depending on the distance, I'll be anywhere from a 6min-7min pace for most of my runs. If I'm doing that and using the Google Map, I pay attention to any declines knowing it will slow way down. If I just want to get into a zone, I'll adjust the slope manually so it doesn't fall below my pace.

Edit:
I also belong to two gyms and travel quite a bit and have been on many different treadmills. The ProForm feels more forgiving but that can also feel soft for some. I personally wish it were a little stiffer but especially for those looking for some reprieve on their joints, the ProForm does so.
Last edited by: DomerTriGuy: Feb 4, 17 12:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next