Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel Solo or take Father with me...
Quote | Reply
I have about an 18-19 hours drive to get to Couer d'Alene for the Ironman next week. I originally planned on going alone but now my father offered to join me. He is willing to split all of the costs and use his vehicle for the trip. My car doesn't have AC anymore so his SUV would be nice. We would also split the driving time. However, I have never been on a road trip with my dad and am nervous about spending approximately 38 hours together. He is also a heavy snorer and am I nervous about losing sleep due to that. He also is the type that is always wanting to do something. Where as this is more of a business trip for me till the race is over and I want to just relax. I am also afraid of getting bored in the vehicle with him as I won't be able to listen to my music or audiobooks. I have never gone on any type of road trip before. Any opinions on what you would do?
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [Darro020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus I don't really know what there will be for him to do there. He has never been west of Minnesota before (from Wisconsin) and seems excited about it when he offered to join me. I/We will be driving 7-9 hours on Wednesday and 9-11 hours on Thursday due to my work training on Wednesday. I'm just nervous whether the benefit of having AC, splitting driving time, and costs outweighs the additional stress of finding things for him to do, getting bored on ride, and losing sleep for the 4 nights before the race. Plus he tends to push me to do things when I don't want to or shouldn't.
Last edited by: Darro020: Aug 20, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darro020 wrote:
Plus I don't really know what there will be for him to do there. He has never been west of Minnesota before (from Wisconsin) and seems excited about it when he offered to join me.

My dad and I have made a real tradition of going to triathlons. He has gone to 3 IM and many other far flung races as well. This week he is going with me to penticton. Added bonus is my 10 yr old son is coming as well!
Life is short. Make some memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking for those of us that don't have the option anymore of spending time with their parents....
Drag the ol man along. MAKE it an adventure. MAKE him proud!
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go on a road trip with your dad. Be up front with your concerns (at least those that relate to you attitude of the trip and the sleeping arrangements). Enjoy the experience, you won't get that many.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go with your dad.
get some earplugs.
it'll be fun

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darro020 wrote:
I have about an 18-19 hours drive to get to Couer d'Alene for the Ironman next week. I originally planned on going alone but now my father offered to join me. He is willing to split all of the costs and use his vehicle for the trip. My car doesn't have AC anymore so his SUV would be nice. We would also split the driving time. However, I have never been on a road trip with my dad and am nervous about spending approximately 38 hours together. He is also a heavy snorer and am I nervous about losing sleep due to that. He also is the type that is always wanting to do something. Where as this is more of a business trip for me till the race is over and I want to just relax. I am also afraid of getting bored in the vehicle with him as I won't be able to listen to my music or audiobooks. I have never gone on any type of road trip before. Any opinions on what you would do?

Take advantage of the offer while you still can. x2 on the ear plugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give him some responsibilities for the trip and event. Make him feel part of the experience, i.e.,plan the route....stopovers.....meals, etc. Keep track of times for the event. Take some video. Enjoy the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take him.

As 777 said-- you might not have that option forever.

My mom road tripped from Texas to Madison for the very first IM Wisconsin with me. It was awkward at times, and that is a long time to be in the car (also, I had to do all the driving).
but she's gone now..... and I'm so happy to have the memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add other than I thought this thread would have more Star Wars references, based on the thread title.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your dad. Chances like this do not come along that often and you never know what the future will bring.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [DEA100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take him, l lost my father about ten years ago and some of my fondest memories are father-son trips.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Nothing to add other than I thought this thread would have more Star Wars references, based on the thread title.

This is not the thread you are looking for ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your Dad! Lots of great suggestions on how to prepare for the time with him. Life is short, and the memories are so important, fand no one can take them away from you. My parents are both gone, and never got to see me race, very sorry for that. Fortunately my sons and their wives have not only got to watch, but we have all raced together. Great stuff, and I've always said I will enjoy racing with them every chance I get, because I never know when it will be able to happen. Well, one is getting ready to move FAR away, so chances are getting limited real quick! Take your Dad!
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it looks like I will be giving him a call in the morning to let him know that he should boogey on over and ride with me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!
Hope you two have a great time together, a great race, and that you are able to easily set some expectations to eliminate possible issues. Look forward to reading how it all goes. Maybe get him a ST account, or use yours, and have him post some of his experiences too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like some headphones would solve a few of your issues (music in the car and snoring). Bring your dad and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darro020 wrote:
Well it looks like I will be giving him a call in the morning to let him know that he should boogey on over and ride with me!

Technically your riding with him. It is his car after all.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

It would be nice to still have the opportunity. Don't underestimate how much you will miss it one day.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Solo or take Father with me... [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread makes me want to bring my dad (who I had not been travel with for 10yrs) to my next race.

Thanks all!
Last edited by: ryan126: Aug 22, 17 3:33
Quote Reply