Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel Bike Pump Recommendation
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy a smaller bike pump, mostly for travel, and hoping to get some recommendations here. Currently, for at-home use, we have a Topeak Joe Blow Sprint pump (29" tall). Works great, but really want something smaller for airplane travel and we need a second pump anyway for my wife to take when she rides the velodrome. Not looking for a frame pump, just a smaller floor pump.

Ideal pump would have:

(1) Shorter overall length (so it could fit in a small duffel bag)
(2) Accurate pressure gauge
(3) Presta *and* schrader valve (for disc) pump head
(4) Usable to at least 120psi (for track bike)
(5) Not too expensive

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [ckhirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Lezyne travel drive. Its about 20" tall and they claim its good up to up to 220 psi. Since it only has 1 foot to stand on its not s stable as the floor drive with 2 feet, but it is easier to travel with. The hose isnt very long so sometimes you have to rotate the wheel to get the valve stem is closer to the ground. Those are my only 2 minor complaints. If it was my primary pump that would bug me, since its a travel pump I can live with it.

http://www.lezyne.com/...rav.php#.VWjiTiH48-U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the pump that I keep in my bike bag. Love it.

http://www.specialized.com/...ol-compak-floor-pump
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you didn't want a frame pump, but the Topeak road morph G gets pretty high pressure - just thought I'd mention it if you need a backup or something smaller.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
This is the pump that I keep in my bike bag. Love it.

http://www.specialized.com/...ol-compak-floor-pump

I never used that pump but the LBS stopped dealing spec (not sure which direction that came from) and was blowing stuff out 50% off.. I was having one of my I'm not going to spend money this week weeks and have been kicking myself ever since. It seemed to be very well built at 50 bucks it was a steal.

So again no experience but having fondled one a few weeks back it was really nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the same one after trying several out. It's the best for pumping but the short hose has been an issue So I don't use it.
I've tried to find a way to make a hose extension but haven't found any compatible fittings.
Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the Lezyne Travel pump. As noted, the hose was too short, so I purchased the standard Lezyne replacement hose -- works great now, and the Lezyne slip chuck works great with my disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Lezyne Travel Drive.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [PSJoyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Lezyne travel pump and use the slip chuck so my extenders don't reverse out as they can with the screw on adapter. The only disadvantage to the slip chuck is I need another person to assist. The short hose has not been an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [PSJoyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the connection just treads as purchased onto the existing. The bike shop I talked with was going to have to order it & then said it might not work. My goal was to be able to use it with 1 person on my disc.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a craftsman air pump with a lithium battery. You will never use a floor pump again, ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and another vote for the Lezyne here too.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
Buy a craftsman air pump with a lithium battery. You will never use a floor pump again, ever.

Interested... tell me more :)

Just found this... is this the set up you have??

http://www.thetallcyclist.com/...n-cordless-inflator/
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
ccassidy wrote:

Interested... tell me more :)

Just found this... is this the set up you have??

http://www.thetallcyclist.com/...n-cordless-inflator/

I haven't been able to source the blue rubber washer depicted in the article.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The solution to the first (unthreading the extenders) is to torque them harder and use teflon tape. They shouldn't unthread from the Lezyne head (especially not the new ones with the bleed valve).

The solution to the second is potentially a new rubber seal? My Slip Chuck stays put until around ~110psi. Helps to align the valve at 5-o'clock, for some reason (probably gravity) the chuck stays on better like this.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is it! You can get them at Sears or eBay or wherever. If you get one, just buy the top section w/o the standard battery. The standard battery does not hold a charge very long. Buy the lithium battery. It lasts a long time. I did not read that article mentioned but I know people that bought one and just use the adaptors for presta valves that come with it and their crack pipes with no conversion process. What I did was cut the valve at the end of the hose off and then attached an old floor pump head so that it fits presta valves and held my crack pipe better. Be glad to send you a picture.
I have not used a floor pump in 2 years and carry this thing with me everywhere, airlines, track races, TT's, etc. It has a digital display on the back that you can just watch the pressure or you can set the desired pressure and it will cut off automatically when that pressure is reached. Takes less time to air up than a floor pump.
So you need the top section, a lithium battery and the lithium battery charger. I think I got all that for under $90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup... send a pic to me at krieff@gmail.com.

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I'd also like to see the picture. The one I saw has a cheap bride hose with Crappy Schrader valve.
Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Travel Bike Pump Recommendation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations. Given a club discount and a store credit, we went ahead and picked up the Specialized Air Tool ComPak pump. Traveled with it for this past weekend's Boulder 70.3 and it worked great. Flying for three more races this year and looking forward to having a pump that easily fits in our luggage.
Quote Reply