Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transitioning from 70.3 to a Full Ironman
Quote | Reply
Hi!

This is my second season as a triathlete (I´ve been a runner for about 8 years though).

So far, I´ve done two 70.3´s, with a PB of 05:40:xx (Panamá ´16). I will be doing my third 70.3 in 4 weeks, and so far, I feel like I´m in the best shape of my life, mostly due to the consistency that I have been putting into my training (no illness nor injuies except tight calves which were fixed by my physio). My plan A is to break 5:25 at my next race.

I have been following a better structure compared to my other two halves, and have also increased the volume of my training, which looks kind of like this:

M-Rest
T-Masters Swim (AM) Bike or Run (PM)
W- Intervals on the Turbo or Track (some strength work)
T-Masters Swim (AM) Bike or Run (PM)
F-Run or Bike (some strength work)
S- Long Bike (AM) Swim Drills (PM) ---- every second week -----> Long Bike+Run intead os Swim Drills
S- Long Run

Hours range from 9-12 weekly
Biggest limiter is the bike because my longest ride ever is 120k, my weekly long bike tops off at 3:30 (around 95k).
Strength is the run, I have a Marathon PB of 3:18 and Half Marathon PB of 1:32

The thought of doing an Ironman has been with me for some time now. I am single, and although I work about 50 hours a week, I could devote some time to training, and would like to transition to the full distance in 2018 (next year I will do two more 70.3´s)

What do you think are the biggest differences between training for a 70.3 and training for Ironman?

Please consider that I live in Quito, which is almost 3000m above sea level, this makes recovery slower.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from 70.3 to a Full Ironman [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main difference would be longer training sessions on weekends. You could keep your weekday training mostly the same as it is now. It is not that big of a jump if you are already doing well with 70.3. You will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump your total hours to 14-19 by increasing your long training days. You will be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Transitioning from 70.3 to a Full Ironman [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it now while you are single! Once you get not single - good luck haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:

What do you think are the biggest differences between training for a 70.3 and training for Ironman?

Essentially it's two things.

1) You do longer work on the weekends (This one is fairly obvious as you have to train longer distances)
2) The work you do during the week won't really change in volume/time, but will change in the type of intensity. (For example your intervals get longer and less intense)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made that jump last year and I would say that the only difference is time. Bike rides are longer, runs were a bit longer and the swims were longer. My saturday bikes we usually the longest I put into it. Overall, you seem like you know what to do.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posts above are pretty accurate in the fact you could keep tings simialr but add volume to 1 swim / 1 bike / 1 run (in general)

BUT ... you will also find that recovery time (and levels fo fatigue) tend to increase form adding that volume. THEREFORE you will have to adapt some of the intensity of hard sessions or adapt your program to do less of them. In the end you won;t be able just "do what your doing" and add the long sessions, you'll need some adaptations.

Best,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply