Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [LostNTransition] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LostNTransition wrote:
There really isn't any incentive for WTC to do this.

I can see an incentive for WTC to allow transfers from sold out events like IMFL or IMLP to events that aren't sold out, such as IMLOU. This could be a win-win, because it provides a higher level of customer service, helps fill events that aren't sold out, and opens up another space to sell in sold out events. Maybe the cost to manage this sort of transfer isn't worth it for them?

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [Tri Wannabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Wannabe wrote:
Anyone with Challenge transfer experience? Thanks

I talked to a guy the other day that did signed up for a Challenge Penticton and decided to do Ironman Canda instead. He asked for a refund and got it right away.

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - they could give refunds of say 75% and then resell the spot to another racer at a premium.
Win - win!
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac wrote:
Yeah - they could give refunds of say 75% and then resell the spot to another racer at a premium.
Win - win!

They can't really resell the spots because they don't exist in the first place. If they have room for 2000 they sell 2500 slots knowing that 500 won't show. Under your plan they would only be able to sell 2000 slots up front.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Mevin, how could I get in contact with you?
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [s784] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s784 wrote:
Great thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Mevin, how could I get in contact with you?

Now that.......honestly made me laugh out loud! Well played Steve, you get the post of the week my friend!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help but wonder if there is a way for them to do some kind of refund+resell AND still have enough space for the day of competition. For example if they kept the cutoff for transfers out a ways they could still count on a fairly high percentage of no-shows. You'd think there is middle ground somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of competitors that are 'IRONMAN-athletes' rather than Iron-distance Triathletes, and wouldn't consider a race like ours unless it is "IRONMAN' branded, but in many senses, it is the last five years of actions by Ironman/ WTC/ Provident Equity Partners that have created a space for races like ours.

If WTC/Provident hadn't so dramatically escalated pricing while pulling back on amenities, it could have been difficult for us to create a value based alternative. As it is, we can deliver a superior experience in a destination part of the world (minus the crowds on the swim and bike), in addition to a full Refund/Transfer and Race Registration Insurance program (Doctor says you can't race? 100% refund)

Now, with a successful first year behind us, the question long term is can we grow or tap into a following that is more interested in the race experience than just a brand name? If you are curious to see, or can support a race that is NOT Ironman-branded, come join us on June 30th this year...

Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [tchesnutt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tchesnutt wrote:
...can we grow or tap into a following that is more interested in the race experience than just a brand name?

I'm not sure how well you understand your market. I don't race Ironman because of a brand name. I race Ironman because it is a big event. Despite all the complaining about crowded courses, a big part of the appeal of an Ironman is the size. They have a big event feel that is hard to match if you only have a fraction of the participants. I steer away from iron-distance races specifically because of the "race experience", and I suspect there are a lot of others like me.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer my Ironman registration [Quincyceltic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a WTC fan, but I can understand why they won't let you transfer your entry to another race. IMLP is sold out. If you transfer your entry to another WTC event, then IMLP is down one $500 entry fee. Multiply this by 250 transfers (maybe more) and IMLP is out $125K. And with all of the events WTC produces, a transfer policy would require several new employees. I would estimate well over 10,000 transfer requests would be made every year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I steer away from iron-distance races specifically because of the "race experience", and I suspect there are a lot of others like me.
I agree that many, perhaps the majority, at Ironman events crave that big-event experience - especially among the one-and-done crowd - the same goes for Marathons too.

That said, I think we do know our target market pretty well - it is different than WTC's, yet it also is a subset of the 500,000+ that have done an Ironman event to date. Some of those who will be attracted to our event like the distance, but not over-crowded conditions, some will use our race as a training event for their 'A' race of the year
(which could well be an Ironman), many are looking for a great race to do while on vacation in a beautiful spot of the world, and some will like it because it can be very economical - especially with a home-stay option. We hope that an increasing number come each year because their friends that have done the race give them a first hand recommendation.

The question will be over time can we attract 3-500 of them each year to our event? We think so, and look forward to showing them a good time here on the East Coast! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
tchesnutt wrote:
...can we grow or tap into a following that is more interested in the race experience than just a brand name?

I'm not sure how well you understand your market. I don't race Ironman because of a brand name. I race Ironman because it is a big event. Despite all the complaining about crowded courses, a big part of the appeal of an Ironman is the size. They have a big event feel that is hard to match if you only have a fraction of the participants. I steer away from iron-distance races specifically because of the "race experience", and I suspect there are a lot of others like me.

Well that and the draw of Kona. Anyone who want to go and thinks they can qualify, and that won't ever include me, wouldn't bother to do a non IM branded race. Now with the legacy program that is doubly true.

I'm relatively new to the sport, but I believe there use to be a few non IM races that had qualifying spots. Perhaps if some of the other series had a qualifying agreement with WTC it would increase the draw of those races. For example HITS has points, if you were in the top 10 point earners for a year you could have a slot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next