Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training questions for a first time IM in just over two months
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for my first full IMMT in Aug. I Have settled into a long distance ride of 80 miles on the weekend. I plan to do one every weekend, give or take up to two weeks prior to race time. I did one century a couple of weeks ago and have another planned for mid July. I also will do 2-3 hours of TR during the week. Is an 80 mile LD ride sufficient or should I bump it up in miles?

Also, signed up for a HIM in June. For this I plan to do a minor taper but during the race, do I go all out for the best time I can achieve (just like any other race) or do I back off somewhat so I do not affect training following the race?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Training questions for a first time IM in just over two months [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'd be wise to pickup a copy of Gale Bernhart's Training Plans for Multisport Athletes. It will give you a plan to follow and just bit of the underlying reasoning but not get you all crossed up with things.

To answer your question, I have worked with people who did well with an 80 mile longest ride and know others who did poorly. If you have the time and are not fighting any injuries or anything, a 100 mile ride would be a large mental boost.

I also like long bricks for similar reasons, you never know if your nutrition and pacing plan will hold out until you do a representative challenge. Others disagree, but for a first timer and once again assuming no injuries right around the corner I think those would be good for pacing nutrition and mental gains.

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Re: Training questions for a first time IM in just over two months [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not go all out on a 70.3 if I was racing a full 4-6 weeks later. The recovery time will negatively affect your training for the full. The half is a good opportunity to get your nutrition plan in order. I'd use it for that and as a training and gear trial.
Quote Reply
Re: Training questions for a first time IM in just over two months [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did one century and have plans for one more. Besides those two you think I should add additional above 80 mile rides?
Quote Reply
Re: Training questions for a first time IM in just over two months [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. I will give it less then all out. Thanks for your advice.
Quote Reply