Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in Whistler
Quote | Reply
I'm planning on a trip to Whistler this summer for recon/training. Is the 70.3 course safe to ride if it's not race day?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Whistler [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very.

Don't ride more than 2 minutes up the Callaghan and turn around before the railway bridge on the way to Pemberton.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Whistler [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The route is shoulder on hwy 99 almost the entire way. Be careful with the u turn on Callaghan, and again coming down Callaghan and making the left onto 99. Then again be careful with the u turn riding toward Pemberton. Other than that, and the traffic in and out of the village, it's just shoulder riding on 99.

Edit: recon ride isn't even necessary. The bike route is dead simple, as is the run on the paved trails along green lake. Road undulates the entire way, save for two or three steep descents toward Pemberton, and then same climbing back out of Pemberton toward Whistler. But take any excuse to visit Whistler. :) It is nice.
Last edited by: Dilbert: May 22, 17 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Whistler [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
The route is shoulder on hwy 99 almost the entire way. Be careful with the u turn on Callaghan, and again coming down Callaghan and making the left onto 99. Then again be careful with the u turn riding toward Pemberton. Other than that, and the traffic in and out of the village, it's just shoulder riding on 99.

Edit: recon ride isn't even necessary. The bike route is dead simple, as is the run on the paved trails along green lake. Road undulates the entire way, save for two or three steep descents toward Pemberton, and then same climbing back out of Pemberton toward Whistler. But take any excuse to visit Whistler. :) It is nice.

Yeah :)

It's only 2.5 hours for me to get there, so I figure (a) weekend away in the summer with the family and (b) see the course. Where can you go wrong?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99 between Whistler and Pemberton can be sketchy on non-race day. Yes, there's ample shoulder for the most part but it's only a two-lane road and there's a fair amount of logging truck traffic and those things take up the entire lane. Add to that the ascents/descents and some S-curve stuff and it can be a little dicey.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The highway is very safe. There is a good shoulder. You can either head North toward Pemberton or south toward Squamish

Its a great place to train in the summer. Go for a swim in Lost lake. Its my favourite place to swim

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i prefer it very early in the morning. there is a wide shoulder but the buzzing of cars is tiring and I always feel some anxiety with traffic moving over 100km per hour past me.
watch for debris on the shoulders as well. I passed a lady last summer who double flatted on a piece of something. she did remarkably well to stay upright.

if you feel uncomfortable on the highway....drive to callaghan and it is not that busy and a good climb. same with the pemberton valley...especially if you like the smell of farming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% do it. Ride the whole course. Dont go swim at lost lake, swim in Alta. Thats where the race is. Bouy line to follow, then ride from there. Swim / riding / running the course should pay off huge come race day. Swim it at the same time as the race to know how sun will effect your sighting. Ride it to see the hills up and down. Know when you can mashit cuz there is a downhill for recovery coming. Ride and run at the same times as race to feel heat and winds. Roads are fine and MOST drivers are cool..even the loggers, just give'em a shaka, thumbs up, whatever. I have found karma pays off.
Last edited by: jhouckwsu: May 23, 17 8:54
Quote Reply