Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in PHX.
Quote | Reply
So I moved to the Phoenix areas last August and then competed in Ironman Louisville. I have no essentially taken a year off from doing triathlon and I very recently moved to downtown PHX. So I have a couple questions for my PHX area STers.

1. I am going to sign up for Ironman Arizona this year so I will be slowly ramping up the bike miles. Are there any groups that meet early Saturday mornings for rides? I have pace lined before and I have just cruised in a group. Either Or would work, I just need people to ride with.

2. I swim at the ASU downtown fitness center/YMCA downtown. Does anyone have access to the rooftop pool, I would kill to get some early morning laps in on that.

3. I am running Rock and Roll AZ this year, anyone else on here signed up and want to get some long runs in later this fall/early winter?

4. I am interested in joining a tri-club. Anyone have any reviews on any that meet in somewhat central phoenix?

Thanks guys and gals!

(insert inspirational/witty/comical signature here)
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no winter in Phoenix. There is a Fall, and it lasts about 2 weeks. The rest of the time, it's bloody hot and people train
in the middle of the night (and it's still hot). Good luck though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Scottsdale, and Tri Scottsdale has some good group runs and rides. The Wednesday morning track workout can get 40-50 people of all levels. The Saturday group ride (starts at 6 am) gets 15-30 of different speeds. I know it's a trek for you, but it's something to consider. It seems like most of the tri clubs are more outside of central Phoenix. One Multisport and Tri Scottsdale are in Scottsdale. I think there's a Mesa club, too.

If you want a good group to swim with, I'd definitely check out the ASU masters. Have joined them for a couple of the Scottsdale workouts, and have heard even better things about the Tempe group.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We only had a couple of days over 110 this summer. It was mostly miserable, not completely miserable.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What side of town do you live on? I grew up on the east side of the city.

Beeline highway/Usery Pass will be your friend for cycling routes if you're on the east side.

+1 on the group rides in scottsdale and track workouts.

+1 for ASU Masters. I never did like their membership fees, but I can't argue with the results. The Tempe group is amazing to train with. Prepare to be outswum by many fast women! And they have access to the ASU long-course pool too, if you don't know that already.

Tribe Multisport is a pretty ASU-centric tri-club. You might check them out. I swam/ran with them a number of times, but I'm mostly a loner. I never had cause to join a club. Esspecially one that charged steep dues.

Oh, and you know about the Mount Lemmon climb right? It's worth every minute of the drive for a long Saturday.
Last edited by: gantaliano: Sep 9, 14 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Lots of groups ride Saturday mornings. I often ride with a group out of Arcadia, and we often swing through downtown on the way to South Mountain. Could pick you up on the way or you could join us from the start. I also have one or two training partners that will put together an early Saturday morning ride. The key word is early. Early.
2. Can't help ya.
3. I'm signed up for the Rock & Roll Full. What time are you shooting for? I'd be happy to meet you for some long runs. Lots of people run the east-west canal that cuts through Arcadia-Scottsdale. Flat and hard-packed dirt.
4. Not sure about central Phoenix clubs - TriScottsdale and One Multisport are the biggest clubs in Phoenix. Both are based in Scottsdale.

DM if you want to organize a ride / run.

Tom - Phoenix Patent Attorney & Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to PHX!

1. Here's a list of some of the most popular group rides in the Valley: http://clippedinaz.com/training/group-rides/ The list isn't exhaustive, but includes a few triathlete-friendly rides if you don't have a road bike. I've done several and triathletes are more than welcome so long as they stay outof the aero bars in a paceline.

2.I used to swim at the Downtown Y (it feels like a dungeon) before I started swimming at ASU West (where I teach) and the Cactus Pool in Scottsdale. But you might contact Sun Devil Fitness to see if there is a lap schedule or if it's just a "social" pool.

3. In addition to the Tri Scottsdale track workouts, I think a few of the local running stores have group runs. Runner's Den in Central Phoenix has a few, and I do trail runs with the guys from Aravaipa Running every Wednesday night. They just started doing morning runs this week. It can be a drag to run downtown, but just north of I-10 is the Willo neighborhood, which is a nice change of pace. Central is fun, but can be crowded busy during weekdays. If you drive to Central and Bethany Home you can run the Murphy Bridle Path to the AZ Canal Trails for endless miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [Scooter Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'm in Scottsdale today. Does anyone want to go for a run tomorrow morning?

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, well, now Teacherman at least has one route to run. Since he apparently lost interest in his post.

Tom - Phoenix Patent Attorney & Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [joshuaforty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, no I didn't lose interest. As the name says, teacherman, I was swamped this week.
Thank everyone for the feedback, it was all really helpful. I've been running around downtown and on treadmills so anything new will be helpful. I sent out a couple of PM's.
After cross country season is over I think I am going to jump in with the ASU masters after talking to the front desk people (I'm a bad swimmer so this will be helpful 1:30/40-100yards)
I like to ride really early on Saturday morning (pre-sunrise 5am) that way I can get some "recovery drinks" and watch some college football.
I hate the idea of having to drive somewhere to go run or ride though but it sounds like it is going to be worth it to find a nice running route.

Thanks again ever body.

(insert inspirational/witty/comical signature here)
Quote Reply
Re: Training in PHX. [joshuaforty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I land in Phoenix tomorrow with bike. I'd like to ride the IM course on Wednesday. Anybody want to join? Also, looking for other group runs/rides to hit this week while I'm there... Any suggestions?
Quote Reply