Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Between the 20-29th march I'm hosting a training camp with a few Swedes up at Xantusia and the ST compound with a couple of spots open. We will be staying at Montys bed and breakfast and eat his great food in between all the swim/bike/run training. During my time competing in the sport I used to come up there all the time and it's hard to find a better place for cycling and running with quiet low traffic roads and some of the best trail running around. I'll take you on the big mountain loop and we will most likely do a TT up the famous climb just out the door. You'll also get some good run workouts in as well as swimming with a coach on deck.

Anyway, at this point we would be happy to have couple more people join us for the camp. You don't have to be Swedish and we all speak swenglish so no worries there. It's possible to join us for the whole camp or just a few days. PM me here on ST or email me at info at bjornandersson.se for more info.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm up here right now with a camp and have to say winter just passed us and it is a 4 month spring around here. And for those of you that are not familiar with Bjorn, well google him or search the threads here. He was one of, if not the greatest pro to race to T2 in our sport. Lead pack swimmer who was the first to go a legit 1;58 for 1/2 ironman ride, and he studied the sport like a scientist. His win an Wildflower one year out running Chris Leigh in the last 4 miles showed that he really could run( I knew because of his run times in training up here). He left it all out on the course, often times before the finish, but always made his races interesting to watch and follow.

If you can peel away for the whole camp, a week, or just a 3 day weekend I highly suggest this, plus you will love my cooking, guaranteed.(accommodate all diets too)

And Bjorn still holds the record up this mountain here, and that is against two sets of pro riders that went up it in the Tour of California when it was the Queen stage for that race. 45;12 at 465 watts @ 11.6 miles, using a Tri bike and never coming out of the aero position. Come have a crack...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure I need to come up for at least some of this. My weight is down, my FTP is up... Might be time to take another crack at the mountain.

Hey Bjorn, we have a huge Swedish group on Zwift - SZR. Do you know them. Mattias Thyr is one coach. Mattias Lundqvist of Aktivitus is the other. Not sure how big (or small) the tri/cycling community is in Sweden, so I realize that you don't know EVERYONE...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My weight is up and my ftp is down so I wouldn't see you for very long on the bike but would be great if you came up for a bit.

I know Mattias Lundqvist a bit. He's been around the endurance sport scene in Sweden for quite a long time as an mtb and road cyclist first and then some triathlon as well besides running Aktivitus, which seems to be doing quite well. I've heard of Mattias Thyr as well so I almost know everyone..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are the de facto king of Sweden... Wink

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a decent size pool near the ranch??? It seems like i recall you and/or Dan posting in the past about how it was a 45-60 min drive to the closest pool???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 minuets away now, and never crowded
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

New pool??? What length??? You guys could ride to the pool, swim, and then ride back.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let's just say it is NOT a flat drive to the pool. you'd be putting forth an effort cycling to/from the pool. it's a really nice facility though, and never more than a few people swimming.

xantusia is perched a few miles away from one of the gnarliest cycling road races in southern california, devil's punchbowl. that race puts hair on the cajones.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
you are the de facto king of Sweden... Wink

The king of Sweden is Thomas Wassberg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

New pool??? What length??? You guys could ride to the pool, swim, and then ride back.

How much wind would I be sucking at this pool up at 4000 ft? Since this is all I do right now, and if there is a swim component to the camp, there might be a good reason to take my first vacation in 2 years. I have to go to silicon valley some time in March to try to raise some capital for my startup, so maybe a 40K swim week with Monty might be a good draw!
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

How much wind would I be sucking at this pool up at 4000 ft? Since this is all I do right now, and if there is a swim component to the camp, there might be a good reason to take my first vacation in 2 years. I have to go to silicon valley some time in March to try to raise some capital for my startup, so maybe a 40K swim week with Monty might be a good draw!

Do it Dev! The Palmdale pool is open for 2 hours daily for adult swim and with almost daily sunshine, it makes a welcome respite from the regular gloom of early Spring. I will be there in April, so you can warm the pool up for me (although it's heated anyway ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

Do it Dev! The Palmdale pool is open for 2 hours daily for adult swim and with almost daily sunshine, it makes a welcome respite from the regular gloom of early Spring. I will be there in April, so you can warm the pool up for me (although it's heated anyway ;-)

So heated outdoor pool? (keep in mind I live in the igloo zone and our pools are all housed inside igloos and indoors) and swimming 6K per day suffering at the hands of Monty???
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Gunde Svan?
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Not Gunde Svan?

They are all moving over for Charlotte Kalla!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 17, 18 21:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much wind would I be sucking at this pool up at 4000 ft? //

Actually the pool is a 1000ft down from the house, but definitely still noticeable when you go hard. And we dont usually ride to the pool as it is not a great ride once you get into town, and there are sooo many great rides here that never see a stoplight or piece of flat road. Dont want to waste any energy on non epic rides and runs.

It would be great to have you out Dev, and since I'm actually swimming and running now, I could definitely do some workouts with you guys. And I will also be helping Bjorn at the pool with swim strokes and workouts besides my usual cooking duties..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be good for sure. Too short notice for me however
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
monty wrote:

So heated outdoor pool? (keep in mind I live in the igloo zone and our pools are all housed inside igloos and indoors) and swimming 6K per day suffering at the hands of Monty???

HTFU and do it Dev. And don't forget your sunblock ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should stick around and hang with the Womens when we are there. Your sticker is still on the refrigerator IIRC.

And for those of you who don't realize how well known Bjorn (and Jonas and Clas) are in Sweden - even the Swedish pro hockey players on the Nashville Predators know who they are.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Diabolo wrote:
Not Gunde Svan?

They are all moving over for Charlotte Kalla!

Yeah. Charlotte Kalla together with maybe Sarah Sjöström is with no doubt the queens of Sweden right now.

King of Sweden is harder. thoose skiers Gunde, Wassberg and some hockey players (Peter Forsberg, Lidström, Sundin) are probably still second to Björn Borg and Ingemar Stenmark. Swedes in school and at work actually stopped working for watching them compete
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe next time Herbert!

Quote Reply
Re: Training camp at the Slowtwitch ranch [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Cathy, would love to stay a bit longer but have to go to South Africa for another camp right after this one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
Thanks Cathy, would love to stay a bit longer but have to go to South Africa for another camp right after this one.

What's this plan? Follow the sun around the world and avoid Swedish winter? What type of a Swede are you anyway? Gunde Svan nor Charlotte Kalla approve of your avoidance of Swedish winter!

By the way, tell us details of the South Africa camp. It sounds like it is aligned with the IM South Africa dates. Where are you holding this camp? Stellenbosch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I stopped racing the eternal summer lifestyle stopped as well unfortunately and I have been subjected to far too many Swedish winters since then..

I have a few athletes racing IMSA so I'm going there with them for the race and some training beforehand. Will be in Stellenbosch until race week and then make the drive down to PE.

Last edited by: bjorn: Feb 18, 18 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
When I stopped racing the eternal summer lifestyle stopped as well unfortunately and I have been subjected to far too many Swedish winters since then..

I have a few athletes racing IMSA so I'm going there with them for the race and some training beforehand. Will be in Stellenbosch until race week and then make the drive down to PE.

You could just do a permanent set up at the ST ranch and Stellenbosch ranch for the Swedish winter and just invite all of the non skiing part of Sweden over!!!
Quote Reply