Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Training after vasectomy...
Quote | Reply
Had the snip 8 days ago (no scalpel method). Went as advertised, not fun but not horrible. Didn't have severe pain, swelling or bruising afterward. From having read previous threads, my recovery seem to be much slower than most. Just about everyone seemed to indicate pain free and back to normal activity in 7 days. I'm still having some discomfort on both sides at 1) site of the transection of the vas deferens and 2) inguinal canal. No pain sitting here, but (for example) when I move my thighs together and my junk shifts, there is dull burning pain probably 2/10 in severity. Better than i was on say, day 4-5, but still painful.

Just tried my first physical activity today - walked on treadmill on incline. That went OK although there was some minimal discomfort. Jogged slowly for 2 minutes and got greater discomfort so shut it down. But riding aero at this point or running at any speed would be totally out of the question.

Anyone have a prolonged recovery like this? Any urology input or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [vomer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the same neighborhood but I had inguinal hernia surgery on 6/16. Four-plus months later I'm still experiencing discomfort. Not the same kind of pain as before surgery, feels different and in a different location. I think "returning to normal activity" is a statement not intended for triathletes. What's normal for me is not normal for Joe Schmoe.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Nov 3, 15 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I was back on the bike about 10 days later for short distances. No pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it done a couple of years ago. Procedure on 11-29 and my first run was 12-19. It was an easy 10 miler in a Nike short with a compression liner. No issues at all. I ran with those shorts for a week just to be safe. I did all easy runs for the month of December. You will be able to tell in the first couple of blocks if you can return to running or not. I would think swimming is a non issue but the bike might take a little longer to get back on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went mountain biking the same week. Man-up! Oh wait, you just lost your manhod. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt like mine took longer than many people said online too. I think I took at least 2 weeks off, then was able to swim/run and think it was longer before I was biking. Maybe I was overly cautious, but over a month that discomfort went away and all is well. Everyone heals differently, just be happy its a couple weeks off instead of those people that have issues with the surgery, infections, etc...I know a couple guys like that and it makes some time off seem pleasant.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guess so. Figured it was the case. Just been a while since I've missed such a stretch of activity, and it's driving me crazy not to be training to dominate the BOP old guy field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will spare you the details, I came back too early and it was ugly. Doc told me no bike for 2 weeks, should have listened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an upper body workout that you could do? (I have no idea what that is...)

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a stabby/pinchy feeling (4/10 on pain) for the first two weeks when trying to maintain marathon training. The pain went down to 2/10 after two weeks, but didn't go away for about 4 months. It would begin to hurt after about 100 yards, it didn't get worse and I was able to run through it. I found a jock strap held everything nicely in place, then was able to transition to compression shorts after about a month.

I was not able to even look at a bike for months without cringing.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was biking easy after 5 days, running after 6 days and did a long ride the next weekend. Waited 2 weeks to swim. Nothing more than some minor soreness when I started back again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the no-scalpel procedure as well. After I week I felt good, but it was probably a full month before I felt like I had never had the procedure.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that was back in my pre-triathlon days, so no frame of reference for returning to training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years after mine, the screams of children in diapers disappeared. I recommend.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No physical activity for 8 days?

My doctor was very clear when I had mine done - sample test in 1 month to make sure it was successful, so 'clear the pipes'... Doctor's orders - wife couldn't argue. Best month of my life...
Last edited by: pvande: Nov 3, 15 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
A few years after mine, the screams of children in diapers disappeared. I recommend.
Funniest thing I've heard today.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [Ironfit84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the No Scapel Method is but around 2 weeks I was back running and biking. I found running to be easier, especially if wearing compression shorts to hold everything together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can pull it off (so to speak :-) go for a run..

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you wearing a jock strap? When i had mine done the more compressed in everything was the better i felt and I was runinng about 4 days later
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my snippets in ancient times almost 38 years ago, like before the dinosaurs, but wasn't into anything so only chilled for a couple of days then back to work

Had a bilateral orchiectomy, look it up :0), March 4th this year and did a 3 mile walk 5 days later then 67 mile bicycle ride 6 days after that. Think I manned up pretty well for a 65yo. Just biked 200 miles this past Saturday and have my sights set on completing a third IM once my prostate cancer gets under control.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Not the same neighborhood but I had inguinal hernia surgery on 6/16. Four-plus months later I'm still experiencing discomfort. Not the same kind of pain as before surgery, feels different and in a different location. I think "returning to normal activity" is a statement not intended for triathletes. What's normal for me is not normal for Joe Schmoe.

I had open inguinal surgery last November. Surgeon told me his advice for most people was that they could return to normal activity in 2-4 weeks... but to quote him "normal does not apply to you runner/cyclist/triathlete types." His advice to me was to return to my "normal" activity in 6-8 weeks. :-)

So I took his advice and didn't do a damn thing until January and never had any discomfort. Shit, I could barely move the first 5-10 days anyway.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [OlderTryGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy cow. You certainly had a rougher ride than me!

Appreciate the responses. Couple of days later, still slow sledding. Guess you never realize how much minor discomfort of the sack can affect S/B/R.
Last edited by: vomer: Nov 5, 15 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I needed 2 weeks. Discomfort was high on the bike when trying after 10 days but after 14 I started with some 20 min rides and soon I was good again
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the no scalpel method a couple of years ago and remember going for a bike about a week later. The biggest issue I had was getting my leg over the top tube to get on in the first place and it was ok on good roads on the hoods. Running was started after 2-3 weeks as I did have a fair bit of post operative pain and the incision didn't heal very fast. Wore compression shorts for the running to stop stuff bouncing around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting snipped this afternoon. I knew there'd be a recovery period, but 2 weeks?!?!! Damn, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after vasectomy... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny seeing this thread pop up so long after my snipping.

I finally recovered, but it took about 3-4 months to become totally pain free. I was able to exercise before that, but always some minimal discomfort until the 4 month mark.

Have since talked to a couple of urologists and multiple patients, and my course pretty atypical. Most pain free in 10-14 days apparently.
Quote Reply

Prev Next