Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training advise needed.
Quote | Reply
As we all know triathlon season is right around the corner for many of us and I have several which I hope to do this year mostly at Olympic distance. I also have a marathon which I'm running this summer. So far this year my training has been based around marathon training with an occasional swim or bike thrown in. Should I continue doing things this way or change to a more standard triathlon schedule? Realistically I'm never going to be a competitive marathon runner, more of just a finisher, but I am a competitive age group triathlete. Opinions please!
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [buddy21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do the training that I enjoy the most. It is all about having fun.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. A big part of my agrees but there is still that small voice that tells me otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I'm the opposite. I can be competitive (AG-wise) in running but not in triathlon (which I still enjoy).

If you just want to make sure you finish the marathon, I'd concentrate in getting about 5 weeks of good running volume before the race (get there gradually though) with 1 or 2 30k runs in there. For the rest, have fun and bike more than run, imho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon training which includes 6 runs per week.
Start with 4 mile runs on the days you bike and build that up to 6-8. Keep these easy and put the intensity on the bike.
A medium run of 8 miles and build that to 12-14 miles. I like to make these progression runs from easy to MP.
And a long run. Start at 10 and build to 16 or so. No need to go more. You get plenty of fitness from swim and bike.

You'll do great in both with this plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I feel like I have good run volume put in but I've been neglecting the other 2 disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, really hope I can do great in both!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't go your max potential marathon time with this plan. But you'll be within 10-15 min of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buddy21 wrote:
As we all know triathlon season is right around the corner for many of us and I have several which I hope to do this year mostly at Olympic distance. I also have a marathon which I'm running this summer. So far this year my training has been based around marathon training with an occasional swim or bike thrown in. Should I continue doing things this way or change to a more standard triathlon schedule? Realistically I'm never going to be a competitive marathon runner, more of just a finisher, but I am a competitive age group triathlete. Opinions please!
This is a decision for you. Can't see how anyone else can help much.
You can take part in both but you have to choose how to allocate your training time. You can heavily prioritise one, you can train for one and just make sure you're capable of finishing the other, or you can weight it somewhere in between. It's down to what training you enjoy, and what performaces you're looking for (realistically).

I'm in a similar, but different, position. I'm doing the Marmotte Des Alpes sportive in about 8 weeks and then a 70.3 a few weeks after. I've decided the 70.3 is my priority but I can't just train for that. The 70.3 is a flat course which suits me because I'm not a great climber. However the Marmotte involves around 5500m of clmbing (18,000ft) finishing on Alpe d'Huez, and I'll be doing it on the road bike not the tri-bike. If I don't dedicate a fair chunk of my time to hilly rides on the road bike, I won't make it to the end of the Marmotte (I still might not!)

So I know I'll be slower in the 70.3 than I would be otherwise. In order to get in reasonable time on the bike, and sufficient recovery, I've been neglecting running and swimming somewhat. I'm not ignoring them but they're not getting their fair share of my attention (okay - I am ignoring swimming). So now until end of June it's lots of cycling and a little running and swimming on the side. Then I'll recover for a week or so (hopefully that'll do it!) and then ramp up the running and swimming for 4 weeks before a short taper to the 70.3.
That's the plan anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is exactly the problem I've been experiencing! I ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago and ran a horrible time, for me, and I know the main reason is because my legs are tired from the marathon training. I'm really afraid the same thing is going to happen when I do my first triathlon of the year in a couple of weeks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buddy21 wrote:
Yes that is exactly the problem I've been experiencing! I ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago and ran a horrible time, for me, and I know the main reason is because my legs are tired from the marathon training. I'm really afraid the same thing is going to happen when I do my first triathlon of the year in a couple of weeks!
It quite possibly will, but you can't do everything!
Accept that the stuff you're not training for is going to suffer and don't get your expectations up. Then you might still enjoy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good advice, unfortunately very hard to follow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the past two years I have trained for Half IM/IM races. If your focus is on short races, training should be different. Endurance vs speed.I would say throw in a longer/slower run every week, working your way up to 20 miles. I would definitely make sure to get a 20 mile run in just to see how your body reacts. I wouldnt change much if you are an age grouper just for a marathon. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would continue to focus on the marathon as a matter of injury prevention. the more prepared you are for it, the quicker you should be able to recover. over the winter i did a marathon focus and did a hard bike once (sometimes twice) a week and that was it. ftp stuck around pretty well and i was able to transition back to triathlon after about 3 weeks of taking it easy after the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Start with 4 mile runs on the days you bike and build that up to 6-8. Keep these easy and put the intensity on the bike.
A medium run of 8 miles and build that to 12-14 miles. I like to make these progression runs from easy to MP.
And a long run. Start at 10 and build to 16 or so. No need to go more. You get plenty of fitness from swim and bike.

Last marathon (2nd) I trained for was 4-days of running/week, with that I could keep 5 bikes (2 hard, 2 easy, 1 long) & 2 'maintenance' swims.

I'm planning to move up to 6-days of running, similar to the above, a barryP-inspired 4/8/12 plan, all at easy pace.

The tricky bit is how to mix the weekday sessions, two obvious options:

1) Similar load each day:
Mon: Short run(am) + hard bike(pm)
Tue : Medium run(am) + easy bike(pm)...
2) Easy day / Hard day
Mon: Short run(am) + easy bike(pm)
Tue: Medium run(am) + hard bike(pm)...

Anyone tried #2 or experimented with both?
Last edited by: SteveM: May 3, 17 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Last marathon (2nd) I trained for was 4-days of running/week, with that I could keep 5 bikes (2 hard, 2 easy, 1 long) & 2 'maintenance' swims.

I'm planning to move up to 6-days of running, similar to the above, a barryP-inspired 4/8/12 plan, all at easy pace.

The tricky bit is how to mix the weekday sessions, two obvious options:

1) Similar load each day:
Mon: Short run(am) + hard bike(pm)
Tue : Medium run(am) + easy bike(pm)...
2) Easy day / Hard day
Mon: Short run(am) + easy bike(pm)
Tue: Medium run(am) + hard bike(pm)...

Anyone tried #2 or experimented with both?
I have actually found that the weekly 7 day schedule doesn't work for me. I have done the following:
1) go to a 10 day schedule
2) the format is easy day/hard day/easy/hard/rest and then repeat.
3) eliminate recovery weeks due to the extra rests.

A sample looks like this:
60Tss bike + short run
95+ Tss bike + short run + swim
8 mile run + swim
Long bike or run
Rest
6 mile run plus swim
95+ Tss bike plus short run plus swim
60 Tss bike plus short run
Long bike or run whichever I didn't do last time.
Rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [CerveloDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very similar to my situation. I trained for 2 years for an IM. First year was cut short by an injury! I did a couple of marathons during this time but never cared about how fast since IM was my goal. Thought I could maybe run a better one this year but I really feel the training is going to ruin my triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is the marathon falls right in the middle of triathlon season and going into this year I thought I'd be able to handle both. Now I'm afraid I'm just going to suck at both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A dedicated open marathon program will not allow you to be the best triathlete you can be. Worse in the middle of the season but also holds true in the outseason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion would be to focus on what you are good at, which we be tri specific. Forget about the marathon, either dont do it, or just go easy to say you completed.
Quote Reply
Re: Training advise needed. [CerveloDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's the direction I'm currently leaning!!
Quote Reply