Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here
Quote | Reply
What are the selling points of upgrading to the premium version of Training Peaks vs. the "standard version" and how does that compare to just using WKO?

Edjumacate me, if you don't mind. Is it worth the $120 for TP?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have WKO, then the only thing paying for the premium TP will get you is the ability to look at PMC charts on a mac.

If you have a windows computer that runs WKO, then I see no reason to pay for TP, and this is the guy that has both, for this year...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can see the list of differences between free and Premium versions of TP here but in general the main differences are the charts that are available to premium users and the Performance Management Chart.

You get all of that with WKO but WKO doesn't log/analyze anything but cycling and running. WKO does sync with TP (both free and premium) but some of the other premium features don't work (calendar sync).

Do you have WKO+ and know how to use it? If the answer is yes then Premium might not be a huge upgrade. If you don't TP Premium is easier to use and arguably better overall.

If you have tried neither you can download a 15 day trial of WKO and I can probably hook you up with 15 days of TP Premium to kick the proverbial tires.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You kinda confirmed my impressions. Yes, I have WKO and yes I know how to use it! but IMO, the graphs are easier to read / digest in TP. But since you can't really manipulate them much in the standard version, it is kinda hard to get a read on whether the Premium is worth it.

If you could swing a 15 day trial period for the premium, that would be awesome. Due to running injuries, I am doing a fair amount of cross-training right now, so being able to log those activities would be great.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe a dumb question....but for a newbie here...wko is machine based and training peaks is web based. is this correct? can you explain further. thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is correct.

Rodney does a pretty good job of laying out the differences above. IMO, TP is easier to view to graphs in. Not a big fan of how WKO graphs look. Also easier to log other workouts besides the bike. I think it works better as an overall training log / journal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The is a USAT member discount for the annual subs. I think the web version is definitely worth it. Graphs work really nicely and you're not tied to a single computer.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
maybe a dumb question....but for a newbie here...wko is machine based and training peaks is web based. is this correct? can you explain further. thank you.

Pretty much with a few other smaller exceptions. WKO is bike specific with some run capabilities where as TP can also schedule and track swimming as well as other training (strength, etc..) TP is more portable as it is online with apps for iOS and Android. You can sync WKO and TP if you really want to get into it but in reality TP is much easier to use than WKO.

If you want to try TP Premium DM me and I'll send you free trial and discount codes.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently only use garmin connect, is it safe to say that this is quite elementary compared to TP or WKO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, GC is good for individual workout reviews but the long term tracking of fitness gains and determining weaknesses and strengths is lacking in general. Don't get me wrong, I still use GC for reviewing specific activities (lap swimming) but for long term tracking the reporting capabilities of TrainingPeaks is much more fully featured. Outside of cycling, where WKO exceeds, TP is even better for triathletes from a planning, tracking and reporting feature set.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that WKO+ 4 is supposed to come out soon (as in 4 months ago) and that should be a pretty huge improvement on the UI (which currently looks like it's out of the 90s) and probably features as well.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you walk me through the steps of uploading a workout from garmin connect into training peaks? thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
can you walk me through the steps of uploading a workout from garmin connect into training peaks? thank you.

Direct Upload to TP - http://help.trainingpeaks.com/...rainingPeaks-or-WKO-

Taprik will sync Garmin and TrainingPeaks - https://tapiriik.com/

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I assume the files need to be exported from garmin connect and saved to the hard drive...? Which is the preferred file type? I see there are several options
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No the way Garmin syncs to Garmin Connect is by saving the file to your PC/Mac and then uploading. The files are saved and located somewhere on your computer already. TP supports all Garmin files

Rodney
Last edited by: rbuike: Apr 26, 14 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To expand the discussion- how would you compare training peaks to sportstracks.mobi? Sportstracks is significantly cheaper and very easy to work with, and is in constant development. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [sethjk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sporttracks provides a good logging capability but it falls short in the analysis. If you are just looking for logging there are plenty of free options out there including TrainingPeaks basic. Am I biased? Probably a little bit but I have used SportTracks. It is easy, it looks nice but it is not as full featured as TrainingPeaks Premium and doesn't offer much more than the other free offerings out there.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sort of fundamentally opposed to web applications that don't need to be web applications, and subscription services for products that don't need to be subscription services.

And analyzing power files falls into that category. So I prefer a standalone app that I can use forever, with or without an internet connection, who functionality can't just change one day even if I would rather it not, and so on.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm sort of fundamentally opposed to web applications that don't need to be web applications, and subscription services for products that don't need to be subscription services.

And analyzing power files falls into that category. So I prefer a standalone app that I can use forever, with or without an internet connection, who functionality can't just change one day even if I would rather it not, and so on.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you here. But, for my eyes and how I tend to view graphs, the Training Peaks layout is better than the WKO layout.

Hopefully the next version of WKO addresses this (whenever that may come out).

For now, I am using both (already had WKO)....use TP for most of my analysis but can check in on WKO when I am offline (travelling, etc).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hard to find but you can do a lot of customizing of the WKO graphs

golden cheetah also, though their current default graph style makes my head hurt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and of course, Training Peaks does have the nice advantage of easier sharing with coaches/advisors etc. That can be a big deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fall into Jack's camp on this issue. I have TP free, but for me it is hard for me to see the graphs in comparison to WKO+. The main reason I did not go with TP Premium was paying a never ending fee as opposed to already owning a copy of WKO+. WKO+ 3.0 does all that I need for analyzing, but I have been watching and reading (trying to understand) the new features in the upcoming WKO+ 4.0. I suppose I came to that question to help me answer this question, "what if I wanted to stop the subscription?" The solution was just to keep my fit files neatly archived locally and on a backup drive.

At the moment I use WKO+, a personalized Excel spreadsheet and an app not on the market that also helps me analyze training. I started paying premium for Strava last year and was about to drop it, but they have added in some more power analysis features so I kept the subscription another year. I also use Golden Cheetah because it has some tools within it that WKO does not have and use Garmin Connect just because I like looking at how it presents basic power metrics for a single ride view.

I like TP, but for me WKO is working fine since I do not need to share my data with a coach that needs to analyze my data. That to me seems like it could be a good bonus for TP.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks vs. WKO - Help me out here [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both and gravitate to TP Premium. As a professor, I have multiple offices on difference campuses, thus I really like the ability to review my data online. WKO+ user interface leaves a lot to be desired as well. However, with all that said, I am getting tired of subscription rates.

Quote | Reply

Forum on WKO+ 4.0. No real responses anymore. Maybe they've scratched WKO?

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/YAF_Gateway/forumhost.aspx?g=posts&t=83909

This response is funny:

Any idea on exactly how obsolete the technologies used in WKO 4.0 will be when it is released?

Last edited by: TheGupster: May 27, 14 10:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next