Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks CTL
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I have a question regarding the CTL calculation in Training Peaks. I am sure I am misunderstanding something fundamental, but here goes.

I am currently reaching the end of a base training phase for cycling, using Trainer Road's Sweet Spot Base II mid-volume plan. I am then moving on to their Sustained Power Build plan. I have plotted my workouts in Training Peaks up to Sunday 5th March to get an idea of how the workouts will affect my CTL and to ensure that I am not over training or, in fact, under training.

My current bike CTL is 59.5 and has been there or thereabouts since 22 Jan. Despite following a build plan where I am on the bike 4 times a week with around 380 tss per week, my CTL doesn't appear to really improve at all. See the PMC chart below. So, unless I am misunderstanding something, I appear to be not getting any fitter.

Is this really the case? The training sessions are very focused with a mixture of sweet spot, threshold and VO2 max, together with longer aerobic rides.

Or is it a case of me actually getting fitter and stronger, but just in a way the CTL doesn't measure?

Or, is it a case that I need to add some more volume and/or intensity over and above what is in the plan to see fitness improvements?

I have a 70.3 in June and don't want to have already reached a "peak fitness" at the beginning of Feb.

As I understand it, CTL is a measurement of the average daily TSS accrued over a six week period (i.e. with a CTL of 60, for the last 6 weeks I have averaged 60 TSS a day for six weeks, or, 380 TSS a week for that same period). I also understand that TSS is a measurement of the physical cost of a ride, based on your FTP. As you get fitter, you should be able to absorb more training stress, thus getting fitter etc. etc. However, as you get fitter, your FTP should rise, meaning that the TSS calculation is revised according to that new level of fitness.

Does this not mean, then, that even though your FTP is rising (a definite sign of improved fitness) your CTL could actually stay the same, or even fall? For example, at an FTP of 250, a one hour ride at an IF of 0.8 would result in 64 TSS for that workout. The same goes for an FTP of 275 and 300. 1 hour at an IF of 0.8 results in 64 TSS. So, all things being equal, in spite of the fact that FTP has increased (fitness has increased) the CTL for these workouts would be exactly the same? The rider is definitely getting fitter (as evidenced by the increased FTP) but CTL would be stagnant, so training peaks is suggesting that same athlete is not getting fitter?

I know it's a long post, but I really want to understand this better so that I can improve my training.

Thanks all
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks CTL [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lbmxj560 wrote:
Hi all

I have a question regarding the CTL calculation in Training Peaks. I am sure I am misunderstanding something fundamental, but here goes.

I am currently reaching the end of a base training phase for cycling, using Trainer Road's Sweet Spot Base II mid-volume plan. I am then moving on to their Sustained Power Build plan. I have plotted my workouts in Training Peaks up to Sunday 5th March to get an idea of how the workouts will affect my CTL and to ensure that I am not over training or, in fact, under training.

My current bike CTL is 59.5 and has been there or thereabouts since 22 Jan. Despite following a build plan where I am on the bike 4 times a week with around 380 tss per week, my CTL doesn't appear to really improve at all. See the PMC chart below. So, unless I am misunderstanding something, I appear to be not getting any fitter.

Is this really the case? The training sessions are very focused with a mixture of sweet spot, threshold and VO2 max, together with longer aerobic rides.

Or is it a case of me actually getting fitter and stronger, but just in a way the CTL doesn't measure?

Or, is it a case that I need to add some more volume and/or intensity over and above what is in the plan to see fitness improvements?

I have a 70.3 in June and don't want to have already reached a "peak fitness" at the beginning of Feb.

As I understand it, CTL is a measurement of the average daily TSS accrued over a six week period (i.e. with a CTL of 60, for the last 6 weeks I have averaged 60 TSS a day for six weeks, or, 380 TSS a week for that same period). I also understand that TSS is a measurement of the physical cost of a ride, based on your FTP. As you get fitter, you should be able to absorb more training stress, thus getting fitter etc. etc. However, as you get fitter, your FTP should rise, meaning that the TSS calculation is revised according to that new level of fitness.

Does this not mean, then, that even though your FTP is rising (a definite sign of improved fitness) your CTL could actually stay the same, or even fall? For example, at an FTP of 250, a one hour ride at an IF of 0.8 would result in 64 TSS for that workout. The same goes for an FTP of 275 and 300. 1 hour at an IF of 0.8 results in 64 TSS. So, all things being equal, in spite of the fact that FTP has increased (fitness has increased) the CTL for these workouts would be exactly the same? The rider is definitely getting fitter (as evidenced by the increased FTP) but CTL would be stagnant, so training peaks is suggesting that same athlete is not getting fitter?

I know it's a long post, but I really want to understand this better so that I can improve my training.

Thanks all

1. CTL is not a direct measure of fitness.

2. CTL is not your average TSS over the last 42 d.

You may benefit from reading this article (paying close attention to the caveats).

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...-performance-manager
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Feb 10, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks CTL [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's my bed-time reading sorted tonight.

Your answer already explains a lot though, so thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks CTL [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

You may benefit from reading this article (paying close attention to the caveats).

I think the constant confusion regarding this lies in the fact that TP has "Fitness (CTL)" in the performance manager chart and in the weekly summary etc.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks CTL [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

I think the constant confusion regarding this lies in the fact that TP has "Fitness (CTL)" in the performance manager chart and in the weekly summary etc.

Probably that, and the fact that Joe Friel (among others) repeatedly mistakenly says that CTL is your average TSS over the last 42 d.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the responses above, 380TSS/week = 54.3 TSS/day. If you're current CTL is 59.5 and you're doing 380 TSS/week, you're not going to be building your CTL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some additional thoughts on TSS and triathlon, Google Alan Couzens. In the past, he wrote up a lot about his experiences using it for his athletes and his own training plan.
Quote Reply