Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync
Quote | Reply
For any and all of you using TrainingPeaks to track diet and nutrition this is something you should be aware of and gotten an email about but just in case you didn't...

TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal now sync in s similar fashion to how Garmin Connect and TrainingPeaks sync. The full text of the email is below and of course, as usual, feel free to fire away :)

---------------------

Dear Athlete,

I am reaching out to let you know about changes to our existing nutrition functionality and invite you to a private beta group. On July 30th, we will be removing the current nutrition functionality and integrating with MyFitnessPal, the leader in nutrition tracking, in order to provide you with a better process for tracking your nutrition.

What this means for you is that you will no longer be able to add new meals in TrainingPeaks. We encourage you to use the classic mode to load and print each of the meals you wish to save by July 30th. You will still be able to view meals that are currently in your library or calendar in view only mode for a short period of time. Along with this integration, we will be retiring http://trainingpeaks.com/m.

As a user of our nutrition planning tools, I would like to invite you to be one of the first users of the beta version of this new nutrition integration. Your feedback is welcomed and will help us build a better experience for all TrainingPeaks users. Please let us know your comments and suggestions.

Using a simple auto-sync process you will be able to record your meals with the free MyFitnessPal mobile and web apps and sync the data seamlessly to your TrainingPeaks account. Your calories and macronutrients will be visible as daily and weekly summaries on the calendar in addition to new charts on the Dashboard. Please note, not all features will be available immediately and new features will be rolled out in the coming weeks.

Additionally in the coming months, you will have the option to push your calorie data from TrainingPeaks to MyFitnessPal. This will allow you to view your calories burned in the MyFitnessPal app. By leaving the details of nutrition tracking to MyFitnessPal, we will remain focused on creating world-class tools for endurance training and coaching.

To sync your MyFitnessPal account, go to https://home.trainingpeaks.com/myfitnesspal. Should you need assistance please visit our FAQ page or contact our Customer Success Team.
If you do not have a MyFitnessPal account, download the free app for your iOS, Android, BlackBerry or Windows device.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome news!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel this is terrible news:
- myfitnesspal is littered with advertising
- myfitnesspal doesn't get a feed of my activities
- myfitnesspal doesn't have the hundreds of custom foods and favorite foods that I've built up on TP over the years
- myfitnesspal's UI is *terrible* even compared to TP's old flash interface
- myfitnesspal's db is full of duplicates and incorrect data

In this 1 announcement TP will move from one of my most frequented sites on the net (training, fitness tracking, nutrition tracking) all in 1 place, concise and consistent to a fractionated view with some data coming from some places and other data coming from others with all the inherent sync delays and errors that plague these types of integrations.

This is, in my mind, a major step backwards for TP.

I'm really unhappy about this announcement (can you tell?).
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [ryazwinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can answer a few things you stated...

-I rarely login online and don't recall a whole lot of ads but the free MFP mobile has no ads that I can see
-MFP will get your activities synced back to in in the next weeks/months, also charts will become available in TP that merges the relevant data.
-I agree with you on this one. It's a tough switch, it's taking time to rebuild that.
-MFP mobile is much better than trainingpeaks.com/m
-Any nutritional DB like this will be full of crap. It was the same in TP

As for syncing, you can force a sync in the MFP mobile app, just tap the sync status at the very bottom of the menu bar.

Would more time to move your custom foods over help?

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More time would help, a data extract and import would be wonderful..

In the end I think it's a poor move for TP - they fraction their audience. Perhaps I'm an odd use-case. Maybe most people don't track their nutrition. I fear that over time TP will become "the place my coach schedules my workouts" and very little more except on the few occasions/year when I want to dive into the dashboards to see how fitness is progressing.

Today, TP is almost always open in a tab of my browser. With this change I'll likely look at it once a day (or less) to see my w/o's for the day and assume data syncing gets my workout results into tp from garmin connect or strava or whever...

I feel like I've been dumped at the curb with a 4th rate product to fill the void.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good.

Once they the sync will work the other way around, I may consider using TP web interface more.

Now if you could only get ride of the "[Uploaded XYZYSDF]" garbage the gets appended to any uploaded workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has already been using both apps separately I'm delighted by this news, and I wonder if you've even used the myfitnesspal smartphone app.....

ryazwinski wrote:
I feel this is terrible news:
- myfitnesspal is littered with advertising
There is no advertising in the smartphone app. Zero.

ryazwinski wrote:
- myfitnesspal doesn't get a feed of my activities
Why is that a problem? Nutrition data from myfitnesspal will be available in training peaks, meaning you won't need to use myfitnesspal for activities, just use it for its primary purpose:quickly and easily logging your nutrition anywhere anytime with the mobile app and barscan uitility.

ryazwinski wrote:
- myfitnesspal doesn't have the hundreds of custom foods and favorite foods that I've built up on TP over the years
While this is true, creating recipes with the bar-scan utility takes a minute or so. If you truly eat hundreds of unique recipes you have the most variable diet I've ever heard of.

ryazwinski wrote:
- myfitnesspal's UI is *terrible* even compared to TP's old flash interface
Again, have you ever even used the mobile app? It's a clean and simple UI with lots of functionality. It's free.

ryazwinski wrote:
- myfitnesspal's db is full of duplicates and incorrect data
Again, have you ever used the mobile app? Using the search is decently reliable, but the real ringer element of the app is barcode scanning. I have never noticed any significantly incorrect data using this quick and convenient method.

ryazwinski wrote:
In this 1 announcement TP will move from one of my most frequented sites on the net (training, fitness tracking, nutrition tracking) all in 1 place, concise and consistent to a fractionated view with some data coming from some places and other data coming from others with all the inherent sync delays and errors that plague these types of integrations.
In this one announcement TP will improve an element of their program, by adding a free, well designed, well utilized, mobile app that allows quick and easy nutrition logging anywhere anytime. Rather than reducing traffic, utilization, and functionality as you are suggesting, I expect it will improve TP in all of these areas, and more people will incorporate using TP as a complete analytical tool instead of just for workout logging, especially as the integration and cross-talk between the apps improves with future updates alluded to.

ryazwinski wrote:
This is, in my mind, a major step backwards for TP.

You are entitled to this opinion, but I believe just the opposite as outlined above. You should give the MFP mobile app a try.

I'm delighted by this incorporation, and can't wait to be able to analyze all my data in one place.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [jacobpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I get it you <3 the mobile app. Ever try the website? Terrible! Garbage! Worse than TP 5 years ago.

Yes the mobile apps are nice and there's no advertising, but now I get the joy of using a tiny touch keyboard rather than the full keyboard on my laptop or desktop. Woohoo...

And yes I have created hundreds of custom items or entered hundreds of products that didn't previously exist in TP (or were patently wrong). Do I eat them all every week or every month? Of course not but they're in TP when I do and not in MFP.

I eat very little that comes with a barcode, so while that may help some it does me little good.

For you it's the integration of 2 disparate services that you were using already in a disjointed manner. For me it's tearing apart the the functionality into 2 sites and hoping that when the integration is complete that the functionality that I've come to expect from TP is available (somewhere).

At the end of the day, it is what it is and like it or not I'm stuck with it. I'll just view it as an opportunity... for something I'm not sure what yet... but I'm sure there's some positive here, I just need to find it.

As I said, I just don't believe it's progress. You're welcome to disagree. We don't have to agree.
Last edited by: ryazwinski: Jul 18, 14 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you mean. It will be an adjustment for people used to using the PC, and I can understand people feeling frustrated if the way they've used a product is suddenly terminated. On the upside, you don't have to type too much if you barcode scan. It's also fun realizing you can now log everything no matter where you are... Beer on the patio, scan and log!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I installed a some ad blocking plugin and now the MFP website is less cluttered... still infantile but not infuriating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick I'd expect you out of all the people I know to be all aboard the mobile train :)

That said I think you'll like the MFP app. It auto learns what you enter most and it's pretty simple to create meals. I know it'll be a lot of work to make the switch but I think after some time it'll be a good change.

I think this will also free up resources that can be devoted to proving the web and mobile apps.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mobile isn't the 1st place I go when someone's telling me about a website/webservice. It's pretty clear that MFP started as, or at least has put significant effort into their, mobile app.

I wish there'd been some encouragement to try the mobile app before looking at the website. Perhaps even an acknowledgement in the email that said that MFP's website was pretty weak but the mobile app is good (or great if you wanted to pitch it).

Yes the mobile app is nice, too bad the website is so weak.

Is what it is. Adblocker working, over time I'll build up my db on mfp. RIght now it's daunting, but it'll happen organically like it did with TP. (and every time I go to search for something that doesn't exist in mfp, I'll silently curse tp and move on :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
For any and all of you using TrainingPeaks to track diet and nutrition this is something you should be aware of and gotten an email about but just in case you didn't...

TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal now sync in s similar fashion to how Garmin Connect and TrainingPeaks sync. The full text of the email is below and of course, as usual, feel free to fire away :)

---------------------

Dear Athlete,

I am reaching out to let you know about changes to our existing nutrition functionality and invite you to a private beta group. On July 30th, we will be removing the current nutrition functionality and integrating with MyFitnessPal, the leader in nutrition tracking, in order to provide you with a better process for tracking your nutrition.

What this means for you is that you will no longer be able to add new meals in TrainingPeaks. We encourage you to use the classic mode to load and print each of the meals you wish to save by July 30th. You will still be able to view meals that are currently in your library or calendar in view only mode for a short period of time. Along with this integration, we will be retiring http://trainingpeaks.com/m.

As a user of our nutrition planning tools, I would like to invite you to be one of the first users of the beta version of this new nutrition integration. Your feedback is welcomed and will help us build a better experience for all TrainingPeaks users. Please let us know your comments and suggestions.

Using a simple auto-sync process you will be able to record your meals with the free MyFitnessPal mobile and web apps and sync the data seamlessly to your TrainingPeaks account. Your calories and macronutrients will be visible as daily and weekly summaries on the calendar in addition to new charts on the Dashboard. Please note, not all features will be available immediately and new features will be rolled out in the coming weeks.

Additionally in the coming months, you will have the option to push your calorie data from TrainingPeaks to MyFitnessPal. This will allow you to view your calories burned in the MyFitnessPal app. By leaving the details of nutrition tracking to MyFitnessPal, we will remain focused on creating world-class tools for endurance training and coaching.

To sync your MyFitnessPal account, go to https://home.trainingpeaks.com/myfitnesspal. Should you need assistance please visit our FAQ page or contact our Customer Success Team.
If you do not have a MyFitnessPal account, download the free app for your iOS, Android, BlackBerry or Windows device.

Nice, I just bought a meal plan through TP a lousy 6 weeks ago and now I can't use it?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Nice, I just bought a meal plan through TP a lousy 6 weeks ago and now I can't use it?

Right now there are two separate nutrition systems. The beta app uses the new MFP integration and the classic app is as it has been. The beta app only reports on data from MFP and the classic only reports on the classic meals. There is no cross over between the two. On the 30th, TP is going to convert all classic meals WITH CONSUMED VALUES into the the new MFP style daily roll-up charts. That way historical data will be accessible in the beta app. Any historical meal data will not be deleted.

If you own a meal plan you can still apply it and use it with the classic app for the time being. The Classic app will not be around indefinitely, so it is recommended that you apply any meal plans you would like to keep to your calendar and then print them. This is your only option to export your plans. You can un-apply the plan after you print it.

As of July 30th you will no longer have access to ADDING NEW meals, meal libraries, foods and custom foods but any meal plans you have applied will stay in place.

The meal plans are being removed from the TP store. If you recently bought one you can contact support and they will work with you.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I do not understand the logic in removing this functionality. There was nothing wrong with it and as far as nutritional planning went it was leaps and bounds ahead of MFP. I chose to use TP because it gives me something I badly need, structure. I may as well buy Fitzgeralds planning book, put together a schedule on Garmin Connect with all the w/o's I'll be using and cobble a diet plan together and plug that into MS Outlook use excel and forget about TP. This is how badly TP has broken the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Rick I'd expect you out of all the people I know to be all aboard the mobile train :)

That said I think you'll like the MFP app. It auto learns what you enter most and it's pretty simple to create meals. I know it'll be a lot of work to make the switch but I think after some time it'll be a good change.

I think this will also free up resources that can be devoted to proving the web and mobile apps.

Keeping on the mobile topic the TP mobile apps are getting an update soon. The iOS update has been submitted to the App Store and the Android version is coming soon. Here's a hint of what you can expect from my iPhone...

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have a question with regards to the interoperability of your Garmin Connect -> TrainingPeaks sync, TrainingPeaks -> MyFitnessPal sync, and the Garmin Connect -> MyFitnessPal sync

I currently use all 3, my MFP data goes into GC and TP and my GC data goes into MFP and TP. The current set up works fine because MFP to TP is only one way, but you mentioned TP data will soon sync with MFP. When this feature happens I am worried that both the GC and TP data will go to MFP and in essence double logging my workouts. Do you know how this will work?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of things they are working out with MFP and Garmin that will resolve this.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there something special you need to do for Garmin activities to show up in MFP? Mine is working from MFP to GC but no activities from GC show up in MFP. I have to manually add my activity calories in MFP.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about GC to MFP. You'll have to contact MFP or Garmin.

Rodney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not GC, but Strava activities will sync to MFP...
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [phx_willy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phx_willy wrote:

Funny enough about 4 hours after I posted that it just started working. Garmin activities now showing up in mfp

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
phx_willy wrote:

Funny enough about 4 hours after I posted that it just started working. Garmin activities now showing up in mfp

And Strava now syncs with Garmin Connect...
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal Sync [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there was some mixed reaction (and still is in some cases) to Garmin closing off it's API and charging for access to it you are starting to see the benefits with the sync capabilities between the various platforms. MFP is doing the same thing allowing others to sync with their data. In the end the customer wins.

It's also a leg up for Garmin against the other device vendors. I sure as hell wish my Timex would autosync to something :)

Rodney
Quote Reply

Prev Next