Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision
Quote | Reply
I just noticed this, so I thought I'd post it in case someone else ran into the same thing.

I use the Bkool trainer and simulator, with ANT+ HR strap. Usually on a laptop with ANT+ dongle, in which case it all works fine.

Sometimes, when I'm rushed, I use the Android app on the phone instead (it has ANT+ built in, fwiw). I noticed it consistently stopped recording HR a few minutes into the session when doing that. So I discovered that the trainer actually supports BTLE/BT 4.0 as well, I just didn't know. So the phone app uses BTLE instead of ANT+ to talk to the trainer, but ANT+ for the HR strap. And apparently using both BTLE and ANT+ at the same time is too much for the radio receivers in the phone. So it drops my HR signals.

Damn computers. I should get rollers and listen to the radio instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision [rasken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar with my Garmin 520 and turned off the BT. Was driving met batty on my ROLLERS with my speed/cadence sensor (Ant+) dropping off and then reconnecting. It would connect to my phone and then disconnect... which was a BT connection.

It may have been fixed with a software update but I turned it off since I only need Ant+... but yes sometimes these Ant+/BT things seems to have signal conflicts.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I had similar with my Garmin 520 and turned off the BT. Was driving met batty on my ROLLERS with my speed/cadence sensor (Ant+) dropping off and then reconnecting. It would connect to my phone and then disconnect... which was a BT connection.

It may have been fixed with a software update but I turned it off since I only need Ant+... but yes sometimes these Ant+/BT things seems to have signal conflicts.

Yeah, I would if I could, but neither trainer nor phone seems to let me turn off only BT, it's both or nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:

As a minor FYI - what your seeing is basically the Edge 520 chipset being overloaded and dropping the connection to reset. It's most visible on the ANT+ side because you've got sensors streaming constantly, so even a single second drop is noticble.

It's not the signals itself conflicting, just a overutilized chip.

Garmin quietly made some firmware updates at various points last year to try and address it. It seems to have solved most peoples, though I do hear of issues every once in a while. Just in case you haven't done so yet - worth a firmware update.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

It's not the signals itself conflicting, just a overutilized chip.

Garmin quietly made some firmware updates at various points last year to try and address it. It seems to have solved most peoples, though I do hear of issues every once in a while. Just in case you haven't done so yet - worth a firmware update.
Huge thanks for the technical explanation. It is up to date, will have to try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainers and sensors: BTLE/ANT+ collision [rasken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could get a bluetooth HR strap off ebay/amazon for cheap (or a bluetooth / ANT+ combined HR strap for a bit more) and just go bluetooth to the phone.
Quote Reply