Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainerroad or sufferfest?
Quote | Reply
So I just set my bike up on the trainer and registered for Trainerroad as well as purchasing some sufferfest videos. Question though: Should I start off on a trainerroad training plan (i'm thinking Intermediate base) or jump right into the sufferfest videos? My target race is the 70.3 at Tremblant in June.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started on trainer road and will try some sufferfest videos in the future. I say, "enjoy" TR for a while and when you need something new and exciting, try the sufferfest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing to do is the 20 minute FTP test. Once you have that you cab jump into the base training plan, or just do workouts that seem fun, like sufferfest videos...

Soaking of which, Sufferfest also do training plans. And an FTP test video.
A 70.3 in June is far enough away that all you need to do now is ride and not burn out, and the trainer can be mentally draining. Personally, I'd go with a trainerroad plan and substitute sufferfest videos occasionally (making sure that it fits the same purpose as the workout you're switching out).

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd do the sufferfest plan in trainer road. Not to say the trainerroad plans are not good. I just seem to get 'up' for the sufferfest videos in trainerroad and end up producing higher quality workouts. If you can do that yourself staring at the little graph go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drsteve wrote:
First thing to do is the 20 minute FTP test. Once you have that you cab jump into the base training plan, or just do workouts that seem fun, like sufferfest videos...

Soaking of which, Sufferfest also do training plans. And an FTP test video.
A 70.3 in June is far enough away that all you need to do now is ride and not burn out, and the trainer can be mentally draining. Personally, I'd go with a trainerroad plan and substitute sufferfest videos occasionally (making sure that it fits the same purpose as the workout you're switching out).

There's nothing "fun" about these videos!! They kick your ass and get you in great shape.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sufferfest videos will teach you to appreciate the good things in life more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be a Sufferlandia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR is good, Sufferfest is hard. Steal all the chain you can swim with....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Videos? I don't even remember seeing any when I did revolver tonight. I just kept hearing beeps and put my head down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tour of Sufferlandria is coming up in January, get some training in now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not an "or" question. If you are serious about your training subscribe to TR and get the Sufferest videos. You will definitely see improvements. As others said, do the FTP tests and check out their training plans.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use both, they work great together!

"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."-President John F. Kennedy
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
Videos? I don't even remember seeing any when I did revolver tonight. I just kept hearing beeps and put my head down.

Revolver... yea... thats the one with all the pretty scenery. Do they even have video during the intervals? I dont think I have ever seen it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you do the sufferfest workouts in TrainerRoad without the accompanying video? I see they have them available and it looks like you could simply follow the TrainerRoad workout...anyone do this without the actual video?

Quote | Reply
Did "a very dark place" last night and threw up a bit after the fourth interval. They got a good system set up, and for some reason it gets me to push myself harder than I normally would.
Going to buy the FTP one, even though I have done many ftp tests, as I think it will help me get through it better. Maybe push a little harder.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [duffeymt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can do the workouts without the videos.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
You can do the workouts without the videos.
correct, but you won't have the cadence suggestions. which for quite a few of their workouts makes a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I puke every time I do Rubber Glove, the minions use it to lube their chains!

"We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard."-President John F. Kennedy
Last edited by: DBESS340: Nov 11, 13 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can dedicate yourself to indoor training, Trainerroad is absolutely worth it.

Sufferfest is awesome stuff as well - caution though - if you use it with TrainerRoad and try to hit the prescribed power, it will be hard like death. I end up using Trainerroad for EVERY training ride indoors, but I rarely use Sufferfest despite its total awesomeness, because it's too demoralizing to get that beat down so often.

I will admit that I used Sufferfest a fair amount before going Trainerroad - that was more sane as I didn't feel as bad missing the power targets in the final 10 minutes.

The good thing about TR is that you can train at the right intensity for whatever phase your season is in - there are so many workouts premade that you can always find one that suits your exact purposes (or you can just make one very easily.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody on here done either of the trainerroad "Sweet Spot Base" plans? I'm considering using this for December-February this winter, looks pretty simple and time effective and wanted to heat a few opinions. It's just 3.5 hours per week, so it leaves room for run and swim training as well.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and they're good. I'm doing the Traditional Base for a bit during the offseason but will jump back to Sweet Spot Base at the end of November.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did sufferfest intermediate plan last winter and loved it and made big gains. Wondering if people think doing that again this winter or going w a more straight FTP/sweet spot plan will pay more dividends for my tri bike time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
¿Porque no los dos?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both! Suffer, suffer, suffer....
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad or sufferfest? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the folks that added the sufferfest videos to the trainer road sweet spot base plan - how many sufferfest videos a week did you do?
Quote Reply