Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Patrick,

I think your best bet might be to complete the entire Build and then truncate the Specialty phase by starting on week 3, skipping week 4 as it's a recovery week, and then doing weeks 5 & 6 before rounding things off with the taper weeks.

If the jump in weekly volume feels too sharp between any particular weeks, trim down the duration of your end-of-week long rides & long runs by doing earlier weeks' workouts such that you aren't increasing their duration more than 15 minutes (runs) or 30 minutes (rides). Does that make sense?

The new Tri Specialty plans should be out by the time you need them, so this should make things clearer at that time. But message me again if there's any confusion, cool?

Head Coach at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chadtimmerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that makes sense. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would love some opinions on jumping back into training after a 3 week layoff.

I had just completed the first week of Sweet Spot Base II before life got in the way for a bit.

Any thoughts on the best plan for jumping back in?

Three alternatives I'm considering are:

1. Repeat the last week of Sweet Spot Base I to ease back into things with some easier workouts then starting Sweet Spot Base II again
2. Re-starting with the first week of Sweet Spot Base II
3. Re-starting where I left off in week 2 of Sweet Spot Base II (and thankfully skipping the FTP test)

Thanks

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [funfitandhappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funfitandhappy wrote:
Would love some opinions on jumping back into training after a 3 week layoff.

I had just completed the first week of Sweet Spot Base II before life got in the way for a bit.

Any thoughts on the best plan for jumping back in?

Three alternatives I'm considering are:

1. Repeat the last week of Sweet Spot Base I to ease back into things with some easier workouts then starting Sweet Spot Base II again
2. Re-starting with the first week of Sweet Spot Base II
3. Re-starting where I left off in week 2 of Sweet Spot Base II (and thankfully skipping the FTP test)

Thanks

Andy

I would start again. You only did one week then had 3 weeks off so what fitness you gained has probably been lost or most of it. What I do if life gets in the way e.g. Christmas and work is to plan ahead and juggle around the recovery weeks so that the recovery week is on the week I don't have as much time. Similarly I will swap around daily workouts although I can generally stick to the plan (High volume).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Andy,

You could just restart SSB II and substitute a similar workout for your FTP test just to make sure your number hasn't slipped much.

I find that over-unders are really good for this since riding a little below FTP demonstrates a high output from muscles that are clearing effectively and then bumping above FTP for a minute at a time should only tip the scales slightly - make you happy when the minute is over but not require you to stop pedaling.

Something like Mount Wood, Sill or Kid would work nicely. And welcome back!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks 3DKiwi and Chad

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the trainer!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a laptop with the Bluetooth dongle to run a powerbeam Bluetooth smart trainer with trainerroad. It worked fine on Tuesday. When I went on today I did update and now it won't calibrate my trainer. I shut down computer and tried again but it still won't pick up to calibrate. Is anyone else having this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TheGreatDecay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My computrainer will not turn up in the couple of days since the last upgrade. However, I have an old version of the software still installed that works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Glad to know its not just me. Hopefully this will get fixed bc I'm not sure how I could go back to the old version on my computer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funfitandhappy wrote:
Thanks 3DKiwi and Chad

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm looking forward to getting back on the trainer!

I said the same thing. TR has greatly improved the enjoyment and results I get from training. I would never touch the trainer if it wasn't for TR.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TheGreatDecay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had an issue the last few days in that when you launch the program on my PC, it almost immediately has to close down. On my old PC it's working fine, but that's being sold tomorrow.

I tried uninstall/reinstall a couple of days ago to no avail, but have just done it again and noticed that there is also a green banner at the top saying there is an update available. I think I installed this last time, so I'll leave it for now and see what happens. At the moment I've left it running a 3 hour session to see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all: The past two workouts I have had an issue after being about 15 minutes into a workout. The power drops way off. If I have a target of 280 watts, no matter how hard or fast I pedal I cannot achieve that wattage. The watts really drop off and for example I cannot even get to 200 watts. I use a computrainer and it is warmed up (10 minutes) and calibrated before each ride. I also have a PM and it confirms the drop off and is very close to the Trainer Road readout. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I'm starting week 2 of my base training (sweetspot)... Reading the description of week two, it says "Your week winds down with a repeat of Palisade and another pass at a somewhat familiar over-under workout, but this time with your newly adjusted FTP - fun!" does the FTP adjust itself??? I don't see where I retake the FTP test. In fact I don't see anywhere during the 6 week base that I am retaking the FTP test. Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobbie wrote:
I tried uninstall/reinstall a couple of days ago to no avail, but have just done it again and noticed that there is also a green banner at the top saying there is an update available. I think I installed this last time, so I'll leave it for now and see what happens. At the moment I've left it running a 3 hour session to see what happens.

I also tried an uninstall/reinstall to no avail. However, this afternoon I checked and a new update is available here's the changelog:

FEBURARY 12th, 2016
• Fix bug with computers with UAC preventing CompuTrainer from launching.
• We now remember the resistance setting of your smart trainer between app launches.
• We now let you edit your FTP if you want to tweak it up or down after an FTP test.
• We improved ANT+ calibration for SRMs and Powertaps.

Computrainer looks like it pairs perfectly. Thanks TR for the quick fix!
Quote Reply
TR while watching Netflix [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't long ago that I would train while watching Netflix via Apple TV and use my joule gps and power tap as my devices of choice. I love TR but I just can't stare at the blue bars anymore.

My current setup has TR on my laptop, with an ant+ dongle, and an hdmi cable running to the tv. TR works fine that way, but I can't use the laptop for Netflix. I'm getting too many error messages with it and am tired of fiddling with it. If I could dedicate the tv for Netflix with my Apple TV, and use my iPad for TR, that would be perfect.

My power tap is one of the newer G3 hubs that broadcasts power, speed and cadence in both in ant+ and Bluetooth smart. My question is this -- if I download TR from apple's App Store onto my iPad, will I be able to run TR so that the iPad receives my power and cadence from the power tap via bts? If not, I can always pick up the wahoo ant+ dongle (I have a Garmin dongle which I understand will not work with TR's iOS app) and a 30 pin adaptor, and I'm assuming I could then get it all to work via ant+...but if I don't have to take those steps I would like to avoid doing so.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
Hi all: The past two workouts I have had an issue after being about 15 minutes into a workout. The power drops way off. If I have a target of 280 watts, no matter how hard or fast I pedal I cannot achieve that wattage. The watts really drop off and for example I cannot even get to 200 watts. I use a computrainer and it is warmed up (10 minutes) and calibrated before each ride. I also have a PM and it confirms the drop off and is very close to the Trainer Road readout. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You might want to be in a bigger gear. On some trainers (tacx in particular) there will be a "power ceiling" in ERG mode where the resistance unit just can't put out enough power.

If that doesn't work, please send your info to support@trainerroad.com and we'll check it out further. Dan doesn't like us doing support directly on the forum.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: FTP [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dillon152 wrote:
Hi all. I'm starting week 2 of my base training (sweetspot)... Reading the description of week two, it says "Your week winds down with a repeat of Palisade and another pass at a somewhat familiar over-under workout, but this time with your newly adjusted FTP - fun!" does the FTP adjust itself??? I don't see where I retake the FTP test. In fact I don't see anywhere during the 6 week base that I am retaking the FTP test. Thanks for any help!

That's in week 2 of Sweet Spot Base II. There's an FTP test the previous week. The text is also assuming you've done sweet spot base I, hence the talk about familiar over-under workouts.

Hope that helps.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: TR while watching Netflix [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skewer wrote:
It wasn't long ago that I would train while watching Netflix via Apple TV and use my joule gps and power tap as my devices of choice. I love TR but I just can't stare at the blue bars anymore.

My current setup has TR on my laptop, with an ant+ dongle, and an hdmi cable running to the tv. TR works fine that way, but I can't use the laptop for Netflix. I'm getting too many error messages with it and am tired of fiddling with it. If I could dedicate the tv for Netflix with my Apple TV, and use my iPad for TR, that would be perfect.

My power tap is one of the newer G3 hubs that broadcasts power, speed and cadence in both in ant+ and Bluetooth smart. My question is this -- if I download TR from apple's App Store onto my iPad, will I be able to run TR so that the iPad receives my power and cadence from the power tap via bts? If not, I can always pick up the wahoo ant+ dongle (I have a Garmin dongle which I understand will not work with TR's iOS app) and a 30 pin adaptor, and I'm assuming I could then get it all to work via ant+...but if I don't have to take those steps I would like to avoid doing so.

Thanks.

Yes! If you have a new powertap with both Bluetooth and ANT then your iPad will pick up the Bluetooth and it will work :). No need for an ANT stick in your case.

This is assuming you have an iPad with Bluetooth 4.0. Only the first and second generation iPads DON'T have Bluetooth 4.0.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I started TR six weeks ago and love it; thanks guys! Now my turn for a "here is my situation; what should I do?" post...

I'm just about to finish sweet spot base I this week. I'll be away for a week for work and then I'll start sweet spot base II. That will end on the 9/10 April weekend. I have a race on May 1st and my 'main' race probably will be a 70.3 at the end of July. Final 'complication': I will be out of the country for almost all of May and won't have a computer, trainer, or a bike (though I plan to still ride some kind of bike I almost for sure won't have a road bike and my rides won't be structured).

So: do I start an 8-week build the week starting 10 April and just put it on hold for 3-4 weeks in May then continue when I get back? Should I do another few weeks of base throughout April and then start the build early June (requiring me to only do maybe 4 weeks or so of the 8 'specialty' weeks before my end-of-July race)? Etc, etc, etc...

Thanks for any tips/suggestions you might have! Some potentially useless background: been doing triathlons for many years but never did any structured bike training until six weeks ago.

Will
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [wdarling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm 5 weeks post arthroscopic hip surgery and looking to utilize a power meter and trainer road as I rehab and start training again. My question: does TR provide a way of displaying left/right power balance? I could use either a PC or iPad to run TR, if that helps.

Thanks!
Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Will,

If I have all this straight, you'll only really have 3 weeks of unclaimed time prior to your May 1st race and then you're off the bike (for the most part) for much of May meaning you'll have to rebuild fitness upon your return with what sounds like a solid 8 weeks leading into your 70.3.

If that first race isn't of great importance, I'd recommend training up to and through it with no real taper. For sure take things easy on Friday and then do some sort of openers - both riding (Truuli comes to mind) and running - on Saturday, but don't treat this as anything other than training. Practice your pacing, your transitions, and don't be afraid to make some mistakes in an effort to figure out any tactical/performance questions that may be on your mind.

Then when you get back from your travels, jump into the Half-Distance Specialty plan. You'll be bypassing the Build phase, but there's a lot of build components in SSB I & II so it's not like you'll be starting from scratch. And it kicks off with an FTP assessment which will account for any slip in fitness you may see over your time away from structured training. This will allow you to target more race-specific fitness as well as get a proper taper heading into your July 70.3.

Is this ideal? No, but it's not the worst scenario I've heard of either and I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised by how beneficial the structure of these 24 weeks of training turns out to be.

Best of luck, Will!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great. Thanks very much for the advice Chad!
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my TR workouts are uploaded to Strava I can see an estimate of distance covered during the workout. Does anyone have a feel for how accurate this is?

I know it's not a super reliable metric to look at, and that I should be more focused on watts, but just trying to get a sense of where I stand in terms of weekly mileage. At the beginning of winter I got my first tri bike, a kickr, and started using TR so I have no frame of reference on this.

thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a speed sensor, that's where the distance comes from. In my case I have a Tacx neo, so it's pretty much useless since I could be doing the same workout power-wise at 20 or at 40 km/h. I usually favor low speeds to keep the noise down, so distance will be under-estimated compared to the same workout on the road.

It would be nice if TR could log a "virtual" speed and distance, based on power. Like Zwift does.
Last edited by: nchristi: Feb 16, 16 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love trainer road
Quote Reply

Prev Next