Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
They agree with us, more tension equals more power to maintain the same speed.

did they mention by how much? the Crr at about 5mm deflection against the roller at about 110 psi is only roughly 0.005 to 0.008
Last edited by: nolken: Nov 7, 12 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nolken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what our work with the inRide is all about.

We have some internal stuff we are going to use for roll down calibrations and we have to make sure our numbers match kinetic with their inRide. That's about all I can say about that without breaking a NDA.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
That's what our work with the inRide is all about.

We have some internal stuff we are going to use for roll down calibrations and we have to make sure our numbers match kinetic with their inRide. That's about all I can say about that without breaking a NDA.

completely understand.

you guys do incredible work btw. i'm excited to see what is in store for trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely based on my 2 minute examination of the "virtual tour" page on trainerroad.com:

Awesome concept, awesome product. Well done putting this together!

No doubt you'll take some of the boredom out of turbo sessions. Wish you guys all the best developing and selling this stuff.

If I didn't already have a coach writing me specific workouts, then I'd be taking a serious look at buying this. Off season motivation and a head start on next year is worth a few bucks, and then some.

Cheers!

@EddyRoche
www.eddyroche.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [EddyRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eddy, with our new workout creator (in beta) you can put his workouts into TrainerRoad, as long as they are wattage based. All workouts are percent FTP.

You can get it at http://www.trainerroad.com/install.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EddyRoche wrote:
Purely based on my 2 minute examination of the "virtual tour" page on trainerroad.com:

Awesome concept, awesome product. Well done putting this together!

No doubt you'll take some of the boredom out of turbo sessions. Wish you guys all the best developing and selling this stuff.

If I didn't already have a coach writing me specific workouts, then I'd be taking a serious look at buying this. Off season motivation and a head start on next year is worth a few bucks, and then some.

Cheers!

Eddy, I was in the same position as you - my coach was writing me very specific interval workouts. Among the responses to user feedback, the TrainerRoad guys came up with a solution which means you can create your own workouts. I just created 3 of mine in the TrainerRoad Workout Creator. It's simple and doesn't take very long for each one.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [nolken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just joined trainer road today every thing went perfect, Until I started my first workout and I couldn't see my virtual power reading. I went to support and found that I hadn't put my trainer name in as I thought this was only for if you had a power meter as soon as I used the drop down to find my trainer the power started reading.

Great product love it.... Live in Canada and this is the first year I'm not dreading the pain cave months
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [zp295] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got the trainer set up... this sounds like a neat way to get through the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's "Trainerroad workout creator"? I don't see it on the site. I've just been using the "free ride 60" or "free ride 90" but I didn't know there was a way to program your own workout.
Thx.
Marty
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [martman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martman wrote:
What's "Trainerroad workout creator"? I don't see it on the site. I've just been using the "free ride 60" or "free ride 90" but I didn't know there was a way to program your own workout.
Thx.
Marty

it's part of the beta version. i've been using it and it works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Thanks guys.

I'll be sure to give it a try!

Cheers

@EddyRoche
www.eddyroche.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get it at http://www.trainerroad.com/install

We're working on getting a release on Friday or early next week to fix some bugs in it.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Yes I am here :).

I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm guessing there might be some around VirtualPower. http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

You guys are definitely doing something right. I installed the software, set up my account, and had it up and running in about 20 minutes total. The only hiccup was I put my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine in my profile for my account, but the power drop down on the software was blank for the first 10 minutes or so. It took a while to populate with power options after pairing my GSC 10 sensor. I also had the speed magnet too far from the sensor. Once the sensor read cadence and speed, viola virtual power.

I guess my first step should be to conduct a test to set my FTP now..... any tips on doing that with trainerroad?

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, we should improve that trainer download thing. I just re-wrote it earlier this week.

For your first workout, try the 20 minute test. Just type it in the search box. That will generate an FTP for you at the end of that workout.

-Nate

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My rule this season is being "no Netflix on the couch unless I've already done a TR workout". It's working really well so far. Can't wait to see what happens when the season rolls around.

I do wish you guys had a bit more attitude to go with it, like Sufferfest. SF hits the exact wrong side of the equation for me though - I want power data for workouts while watching whatever I want, not something to watch without data.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Bah Humbug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Attitude? What do u mean?

Like more HTFU in the app?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,
I did my first 200 mile race this past weekend as a participant in the RAAM Challenge Series. Only my long training rides were done outside. All other rides were on trainerroad! I had an awesome day thanks to you guys. Race Across the West is next and I plan on the same training plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, like look at the name "Sufferfest". "TrainerRoad" is clinical by comparison. Then there's their "IWBMATTKYT", their "Sufferlandrian" term for users, and things like that. They have a banner to hang in your pain cave. A regular kit and a limited-edition kit. TrainerRoad is very effective (or seems it so far), but the brand as a whole is snoozeworthy. It's not like I'll stop using it over that, certainly, but it could be more fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I am finding TR combined with the hilariously motivating Sufferfest videos to be great. It makes a trainer session almost enjoyable, rather than torture. Sufferfest, as a content creator, can easily provide that attitude. TR, which is really a technical platform, cannot as easily provide that attitude as part of a power profile in a workout. How would they do it that would really work if it is not creating their own videos, which maybe they should do? It'd be a nice additional revenue stream, but it's a risk since the partnership with Sufferfest seems to be going well.

Edit - I would MUCH rather have TR's recurring revenue than have to make a new sale for every dollar I bring in like Sufferfest.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Nov 16, 12 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah Humbug wrote:

I do wish you guys had a bit more attitude to go with it, like Sufferfest. SF hits the exact wrong side of the equation for me though - I want power data for workouts while watching whatever I want, not something to watch without data.

So drop the Sufferfest Video of choice into TrainerRoad - there's your attitude, or put TR into horizontal mode and watch Netflix or "whatever you want" with power data on the bottom of your screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:
So drop the Sufferfest Video of choice into TrainerRoad - there's your attitude, or put TR into horizontal mode and watch Netflix or "whatever you want" with power data on the bottom of your screen.

I do use the horizontal mode and Netflix - that's the thing. The Sufferfest videos themselves have no appeal for me. I have no desire to watch race footage over and over when I have a huge Netflix queue I'm trying to work through. TrainerRoad is perfect for me from a technical perspective, but it lacks the ancillary fun of Sufferfest. And I'm not eager to drop $100 on the Sufferfest videos that I'd watch maybe once just so I can not feel silly about spending more money on the rest of their stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well if you're just using Free Ride XX while you watch a movie I understand, but have you done a Sufferfest workout? They're not just videos, they"re actually well structured interval workouts, and the footage is selected to enhance the section of the workout you're doing.

For instance, I could do an interval workout with a main set of 15 x 60" or I could do Revolver, which essentially gives me the same thng but with a more entertaining and engaging "feel" to my workout. I come back to the same few interval sessions every week on the trainer, so having some additional stimuation and fun while doing them is worth the $13 each IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah Humbug wrote:
No, like look at the name "Sufferfest". "TrainerRoad" is clinical by comparison. Then there's their "IWBMATTKYT", their "Sufferlandrian" term for users, and things like that. They have a banner to hang in your pain cave. A regular kit and a limited-edition kit. TrainerRoad is very effective (or seems it so far), but the brand as a whole is snoozeworthy. It's not like I'll stop using it over that, certainly, but it could be more fun.

I agree. David over at Sufferfest is building a lifestyle brand and is doing a good job at it.

We are more clinical in relation to them...and that's kind of what we're going for. We're all about training the correct way, not just blowing out your guts, but locking into that correct level that's in context to your overall training plan.

We don't like the idea that you have to suffer during a workout to make it effective, or that every work should be balls to the wall.

So no disrespect to David, he's got a really cool niche. I also don't think we could (or should) try to emulate the HTFU feel that he has.

It's all pretty fun to think about actually :). I think we're still evolving too, but I think our product/mindset has hit a sweet spot that people can relate to.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah Humbug wrote:
tribern wrote:

I do use the horizontal mode and Netflix - that's the thing. The Sufferfest videos themselves have no appeal for me. I have no desire to watch race footage over and over when I have a huge Netflix queue I'm trying to work through. TrainerRoad is perfect for me from a technical perspective, but it lacks the ancillary fun of Sufferfest. And I'm not eager to drop $100 on the Sufferfest videos that I'd watch maybe once just so I can not feel silly about spending more money on the rest of their stuff.

You make a good point here. We've thought of adding some things to make it a little more fun while you workout. more to come on this.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done a Sufferfest video - don't feel like spending that much for something I don't want to actually watch, but I've done "Extra Shot" on TrainerRoad. That's another thing - I can get all the Sufferfest workouts themselves on TR. No race footage, but I can get the exact same workout file that's supposed to be watched with the video, and just use it with Netflix. Did that the other day when I felt like I had more left than I wanted after the normal TR workout and did Extra Shot. That was good and tough, too! But I never thought "wow, I really want to drop my TV show and watch bike racing instead".

Quote Reply

Prev Next