Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will have some guidance around them but they are more around how much time you have and how much stress you can handle. A high FTP alone shouldn't warrant one plan over the other.

The plans will also ramp you up, so if you start in advanced base it will build you nicely into the advanced build.

Without knowing too much about you I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the advanced build when it comes out. 6 hours a week of structured work on the trainer is worth a lot of time outdoors. If you're IM training I don't see how that could be too much work though. You should be able to handle a good amount of stress.

At low volume like this more is more. If you do put too much stress on your body too fast you'll be able to feel it and you can start cutting workouts and backing off a bit.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If its based on time available then great. That is something I can understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi nate

any update or news on being able to use trainerroad.com with the lemond revolution and/or PowerPilot

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the status:

We do support the revolution via VirtualPower. You can pair the lemond speed sensor with TrainerRoad and we translate speed to power on the fly. This is like the power pilot except we don't take air density into the equation. If you're not changing elevations and have a pretty consistent room setup things should be consistent and good to train with. Here's a post about how someone hooked up their own speed/cadence sensor to the revolution. http://support.trainerroad.com/...ithout-a-power-pilot

But, Reid and I realize that some of you paid $400+ for the power pilot and would like the extra accuracy that it brings.

Our priorities for new devices are PowerBeam Pro, then the Lemond Power Pilot. The power beam pro has given us some problems. Not that there's anything wrong with the hardware or software, it is just a custom implementation that we have to code against. Reid also handles the C++ library that interacts with devices. He's just getting back from a vacation in Hawaii (I know, I hate him too...) so that also pushed this whole time line out a bit.

And then there's one more thing coming up that could push it back a bit. In mid march we're going to LA to be at IHRSA which is a fitness conference geared towards gyms. We're going to be demoing something really cool. A company in Minnesota makes these ANT+ to WIFI transmitters called a "Wasp". The idea being you could cover a gym floor pretty easily and stream data from multiple people to a server at one time. We think this is a cool idea for spin classes and for other gym equipment. So we're going to show data streaming from multiple devices in the ANT booth. Some of those devices will be all over the conference floor in selected areas with ANT+ coverage.

You might be saying we are spreading ourselves too thin, but this stuff falls right in line with our multi player stuff where we have to show multiple users on one screen. In coding, we can develop something called an "Interface" and follow a design pattern called "Inversion of Control". What that does is allow us to easily swap out the source of the multiplayer stuff, whether it be ANT+, Wifi, Online, ect. and still have our display remain the same.

So, by coding stuff up for IHRSA it's really forcing us to develop a loosely coupled display that should set us up for multiplayer.

The good news is that my last day at my day job is Friday! I think Reid's also going to make an announcement pretty soon too. That should speed up the development of all of this.

That's probably more info than you wanted, but it's fun share some of the stuff we're doing :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reid has nice toenails but his quads are smaller than I expected.

Congrats on quitting your job! As much as I love your actual product, I'm even happier about the story of a couple of enterprising guys working hard on a project they love and being successful enough to quit their jobs and taking charge of their own destiny. Wishing you guys continued success!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powerbeam support pretty please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Here's the status:
And then there's one more thing coming up that could push it back a bit. In mid march we're going to LA to be at IHRSA which is a fitness conference geared towards gyms. We're going to be demoing something really cool. A company in Minnesota makes these ANT+ to WIFI transmitters called a "Wasp". The idea being you could cover a gym floor pretty easily and stream data from multiple people to a server at one time. We think this is a cool idea for spin classes and for other gym equipment. So we're going to show data streaming from multiple devices in the ANT booth. Some of those devices will be all over the conference floor in selected areas with ANT+ coverage.

You might be saying we are spreading ourselves too thin, but this stuff falls right in line with our multi player stuff where we have to show multiple users on one screen. In coding, we can develop something called an "Interface" and follow a design pattern called "Inversion of Control". What that does is allow us to easily swap out the source of the multiplayer stuff, whether it be ANT+, Wifi, Online, ect. and still have our display remain the same.

So, by coding stuff up for IHRSA it's really forcing us to develop a loosely coupled display that should set us up for multiplayer.

Oh dear...you just spilled the beans. This ANT+ to WiFi tech sounds pretty cool and you are going to hit a huge market with your product. Congrats on quitting your job Nate...this is a huge milestone for you and Reid!

Reid, how do you get such a clean shave? I really need to get some pointers.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [VanDrunken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Reid is a harry harry man. I think those are his wife's legs. Not that I'm looking Reid!!!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started a few months back an FTP of 175, did early base with a jump to 206 and finished adv base last week and retested today at 226 - I'm loving this and really looking forward to race season! Thanks to all you at TR - awesome product!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bob_nohope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, nice job! That's all your hard work!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks nate for the update and nice pic in Hawaii

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's Reid, I'm stuck in 3 inches of snow in Reno! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that trainer road cant control the powerbeam pro at the moment, but can i still use it with trainer road, if i can how do i set it up?

Thanks Colin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Sunday in the Dungeon

Trainerroad "Prater" + Sufferfest "The Long Scream" + 5 miles on the treadmill.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just signed up, looking forward to trying out at home tonight

Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [millarg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Let me know on here or at nate@trainerroad.com if you have any questions.

Btw, we should have a couple new plans released tomorrow!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [millarg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate,

Quick Q?

Any plans to build IM courses like IMC, LP, etc?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has been answered but 19 pages is a lot to go through and I couldn't find the answer on the website. Will the Suunto stuff (cadence, speed, HR and their USB stick) work in this system? I understand all of them use ANT+ but not sure about the Suunto USB key working as garmin seems to be the only one mentioned and the only one linked to. I figure you can use the Suunto pods with a garmin stick but if you already have a suunto stick.....

Nate Pearson wrote:
Awesome! Let me know on here or at wate@trainerroad.com if you have any questions.

Btw, we should have a couple new plans released tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! The suunto stick and Sunnto stuff (as long as it says ANT+ on it) will work.

I prefer the suunto stick since it's about 20% the size of the garmin stick.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainer Road AWESOMENESS!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:

Did you post this elsewhere? I feel as if I have seen this before...

Anyway, this is an epic mancave that if I had the $$ I'd totally try and replicate.
But for now, just the 15 inch MacBook...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [carneval] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carneval wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Did you post this elsewhere? I feel as if I have seen this before...

Anyway, this is an epic mancave that if I had the $$ I'd totally try and replicate.
But for now, just the 15 inch MacBook...

Thanks... it was posted here on another thread too. I think Nate may have put it on Facebook as well :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [bob_nohope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bob_nohope wrote:
Started a few months back an FTP of 175, did early base with a jump to 206 and finished adv base last week and retested today at 226 - I'm loving this and really looking forward to race season! Thanks to all you at TR - awesome product!

Hey I'm with you on that. First test was end of December, FTP of 176. Did early base, went to 198. Halfway through advanced base. At 247 I'm 4w/kg, that's my goal before IM 70.3 Pocono.

You do the work, you get the results, but TR really helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BrianRunsPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,
Does ticking the 3s average power option alter the recorded power as well as the displayed power? My power looks smoother when downloaded as a tcx than when normally recorded on a Garmin 500. Should the downloaded tcx file be as good as a recorded garmin file?
Thanks,
RichA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,
I just finished up the first build plan-Intermediate Base I. I originally got about 5 sessions into it in January but had some family commitments that caused me to miss almost all of February. At the end of February I restarted the Base I plan and wrapped the build up over this past weekend. I started the Intermediate II plan today with my 8 minute test to evaluate my fitness off of Base I. My FTP was 229 at the start of Base I and I tested today at 269! Five weeks later. Perhaps my first test was not accurate but I know my HR was pegged. I hadn't rode much before the start of Base I but I never expected an improvement like I have seen. I started to ride outside the last couple weeks and I felt like I was in midseason. There can be all kind of variables regarding the improvement test over test but just from a stake in the ground wow! I absolutely love TR! I enjoy every work out and have never pushed it like this on a trainer. Great job to you guys.
Quote Reply

Prev Next